Notices

quitting at 30, 40 & 50...

Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

We all progress at different rates...and we are all READY at different points in our life.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time2shineagain View Post
we are all READY at different points in our life.
Not to rain on the parade, but unfortunately most never get "ready" to hang up the stupidity and end up dying because of it.
Alcoholism is no joke.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wish I'd quit around 22 when I first had an inkling I had a problem, but I'm glad to have finally done it a few months ago at 33. While it pains me to think how much time my drinking ate up in my 20s, I try not to get bogged down by regrets and focus instead on how much better I'm feeling now and the good things I can look forward to because I quit.

I do think that, for better or worse, people have to quit when they're ready to. I knew for years that, rationally, intellectually, what I was doing, and how much I was consuming, was madness and not normal and slowly killing me, but I kept at it anyway because I couldn't see a way out or look more than 3-4 days in the future without getting overwhelmed (...which just made me want to drink...).
Old 05-02-2018, 08:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Not to rain on the parade, but unfortunately most never get "ready" to hang up the stupidity and end up dying because of it.
Alcoholism is no joke.
I don't really understand, sorry. I was referring to the fact that those who quit have to be ready to do so. Whether that be at age 30, 40, 50 etc...
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I quit in my 40’s because If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have made it to my 50’s.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Frickaflip233;6883181]
Originally Posted by goodbyeevan View Post
I really don't get this post. Why is 30 too early??? Why is 50 too late??? Why is 40 just right? What the heck? Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE

I think it's a riff on Goldilocks and the three bears. It's called Daredevil and the 3 alcoholics......
I would read that book! It's definitely not a children's book, though we can debate the age best suited for it
Old 05-02-2018, 09:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This doesn't really make sense to me, because I now view any kind of drinking as unhealthy no matter what your age. It's not like it's ok when you are 20 to poison yourself, but at 80 it's ridiculous. Fine at 36 but pitiful at 56.

Would you say it's ok to get cancer at 30 but not at 20? Or be in a car accident at 55 but not at 35? Ok to be depressed as a young mother, but not as an older one? Any of those hardships, struggles and miseries are wrong, tough, no fun, and not welcome at ANY age. Some of us didn't problem drink till we were older. There's no "free time pass" for damaging, dangerous behavior.

Maybe my perspective is skewed because I didn't drink, hardly at all, as a young person. My problem drinking started in my 40s. I barely thought about it before then. Then I wasted years and aged myself prematurely, drinking more and more and "trying" to quit over and over.

I can't imagine now saying it's ok to drink excessively in your youth.

Once you kick alcohol to the curb, you realize you're not missing anything. Don't glamorize it and think "oh poor me, not able to drink in my 50s." Who needs it. You don't. Babies and children don't. Extremely elderly people don't. And neither does anyone in between.

Everyone here I guarantee KNOWS the harm drinking has done to you and your life.

Find something else to do.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't read the message as wait til you're 40...if thats the takeaway there may be some AV action going on here lol

I assume daredevil is 40ish?

D
Old 05-02-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It obviously wasn’t Daredevil’s message, but I can’t stop laughing at ‘wait till you’re 40’
Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can wish this and that and the other thing but I try to live in reality now. I didn't know how to get sober in my 20's, had help in my 30's, thought I could make it on my own in my 40's quit again in my 50's, rinse repeat now in my 60's and with more earnestness, willingness, experience and especially humility I pray I stay till I'm in the earth.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Quitting isn't all that hard in retrospect, it's the staying quit no matter what through thick and thin, that is impressive.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I still think you're 'overthinking',DD.. I did not drink 'alcoholic'/switch flipped/line crossed/ect...until I was mid 30's..thus the 'progressive nature' of this crap...I quit when I just gave up the madness. Simple math,man.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time2shineagain View Post
I don't really understand, sorry. I was referring to the fact that those who quit have to be ready to do so. Whether that be at age 30, 40, 50 etc...
Not a shot at you, just one at this thread.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I quit at 21 for five years. Worst move was going back at 26 thinking I was old and wise enough to moderate.

Tried to give it up for different lengths of time a few times, but this last time, I realised it wasnt limited to a set time - it was for good. The finality and realisation of that is liberating. One day at a time for keeps.

Turned 35 in March and ready for my drinking shoes to jog on.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

By age of 20 I knew I had a serious drinking problem. Every day that I’ve drank since I’ve chipped away at my self respect, bit by bit. It’s no way to live at any age.

When I think of all the dangerous/embarrassing/damaging situations I got into ever since I started drinking as I teenager I feel lucky to be alive and still have my family around me. Many aren’t so lucky.

If you think you have a drink problem then it’s probably time to quit, whatever your age. The risks simply aren’t worth it.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I quit at 38 and I turn 40 this summer. I agree it's a good age to quit at, although I think they are all good ages to quit at. It reminds me of something my mom used to tell me about men - to watch out for the ones who haven't grown up by 40 lol. I never needed to take her advice since the older I've gotten the younger my men have gotten, but it was good advice in the context of me quitting drinking and finally growing up before I turned 40. I feel like I've still got lots of the "good' years still ahead of me.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

We all know that we need to try and resolve our problems regardless of age.
But for most of us it's a game of waiting till we're ready ..
Usually that involves hitting rock bottom which for me took some time.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Either you start quiting NOW, no matter what your age, or you'll wind up like me, still a raging alcoholic at 65yo! But, I will NEVER give up trying !!!

DD
Old 05-03-2018, 01:26 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

At least we can have a sense of humour 😂
But I agree it dosnt matter what age we quit
WE QUIT
WE are all still here to tell the tale
Thank god
X
Old 05-03-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
When I hear people who quit by or before 30, I wonder why so early.

When I hear people who quit at or after 50, I wonder why so late.

When I hear people who quit by or before 40, that sounds about right.
This was me- 39 1/2. 40 was my first sober bday in years and that was great. I feel I have so much life ahead of me, and being sober for it is such a gift.