Notices

quitting at 30, 40 & 50...

Old 05-04-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
May I ask 'why' you think that way? Is that not the reason you post on here,with a 'group of drunks'?
I don't go to meetings daily.
I stay sober daily.
If I needed meetings to be sober, I'd be drunk thrice a week
Old 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I believe there is benefit in going to meetings.
That said, my locus of control is internal--not external.
If my sobriety was contingent on reinforcement, support, and a group-of drunks (as they say), I don't think it would be sustainable.
I feel the same way daredevil. No meeting or program ever kept me from drinking - in fact the opposite was true, I found them to be very triggering. I would leave meetings and think, "Damn I could use a drink!" That's one of the things I like about SR, there's lots of information about different philosophies and methods. Some people need meetings and a program of real life support, and others don't.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I don't go to meetings daily.
I stay sober daily.
If I needed meetings to be sober, I'd be drunk thrice a week
I feel ya! Today was my 1st meeting in months and I'm like 14-16mo sober..just curious.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
While it shouldn't be I will say any withdrawal period is pretty crappy and PAWS can linger for a while.

I'm finally actually feeling free from it and day to day living is far more enjoyable. There was a while where it was pretty much riding out being sick and that lasted a solid year for me. All I could really do is keep my head down and trust I'd make it there someday.
Thanks Tekink

yeah the first 3 months of recovery were pretty hard going for me - probably the hardest 12 weeks of my life.

I'd hate anyone to think I didn't remember or acknowledge that.

But looking back on my recovery and focusing solely on that part would be like me describing my life based merely on it as me as a toddler

I'd hate people to think every day is a barnstorming absoluter cracker of a day too.

There are good and bad days in my life, good times and bad times like everyone has , whether they're in recovery or not.

But recovery has given me a serenity, an optimism and and an ineffable quality of spirit that never leaves me.

Even in the bad times, I have a faith that things will soon return to a 'good' normal...and they always do

D
Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberjunkie View Post
wow this is an interesting read. at every one of those milestones i attempted to quit...and here I am at 50
50 is the new 30...

;-)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markinny View Post
probably going off topic here but quitting cigs would be more difficult for me than quitting drinking was. sometimes I think it might be easier to quit drinking when you are older because time is running out and reality sets in. reality can be a great motivating factor.

I worked with a guy who after his 2nd dwi came to the responsible conclusion that he needed to give up drinking or driving. he gave up driving. I drove him to work or he would bus it and stop at the bars. 10 yrs. later he had a stroke and the dr. told him he needed to give up at least one, drinking or smoking, he quit drinking (with no formal help) and got his drivers license back. coincidentally I got my 2nd dwi then and he returned the favor for 6 months. to sum it up for this guy drinking was more important than driving but nicotine was more important than anything. it's a beast for the true addict.
You are absolutely 'spot-on' in my opinion about nicotine addiction-if you are truly addicted (which I am). I've lost count of the times I've tried to give up cigs.