Notices

Medical update

Old 04-26-2018, 03:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Medical update

I waited all day yesterday on pins and needles to learn the results of my CT scan, only to learn the Dr. had gone home for the day when I called a second time. I was disappointed and frustrated that I would have to wait another day.

But last evening I was checking my email and there was an email invitation to establish a patient portal with my new primary care doctor. I did so and low and behold there were the results of my CT scan.

The news is not good, or at least didn't appear to be good in what I could understand of the medical report with the medical language. I think my primary care doctor was anxious to go home for the day and didn't want to get involved in any detailed conversation with me. I'm glad I saw it on the portal.

It says that I have 4 mm ground glass nodule in the lower left lobe and another CT scan is recommended in 6 months. It also says there are some indications in my lungs which could be early manifestations of fibrosis. Dr. Google (Web MD) says a ground glass nodule is called such because it looks like ground glass on the scan.

So, that's not really good news - in fact, I'm thinking it's rather horrible. . I will have to mull this over. At this point, I'm not sure I'll go through with the foot surgery.

Anyway, I said I would let you all know the results.

Thank you all for being here for me. I know this isn't alcohol related, though I'm thinking it could be. I don't know what I would do without you. Thanks to everyone.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

I had a very similar report from a pre surgery work up last year, with the same 6 mnth follow up recommendation, I was told it was nothing to be concerned about. I'm hoping and pretty sure the doctor will have the same news , good luck.

which btw reminds me, I better schedule a follow up
Old 04-26-2018, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi RAR

I'm not a doctor but iof it wasn;t serious enough to phone you, i'd ;look on that as a good sign rather than a bad one.

Try and stay off Dr Google, ok?

D
Old 04-26-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Health scares are never fun.
Hugs to you.

What do you do to blow off stress now that you don't drink?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Health scares are never fun.
Hugs to you.

What do you do to blow off stress now that you don't drink?
Well, before my rotator cuff tear and subsequent shoulder surgery last year, I was pretty active with pickleball, golf, and swimming, bicycling and walk-jogging. I had months of recovery (and inactivity) where I wallowed in self pity and alcohol. During this time, my foot problems progressed. Now I'm inactive again and future surgeries will make me more inactive. Physical activity works best for me, so I'm riding my bicycle, playing golf and doing a little swimming..
Old 04-26-2018, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

Your Alcoholic mind is well at work and off and running!!! You need to stop thinking and stop presuming things. Wait until you talk to your doctor so they can explain it to you. This would be a great time to get to an AA meeting and work with some other Alcoholics. That would be the best thing you can do right now.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd also keep off of Dr. Google rar - as a health anxiety sufferer I can tell you that i have diagnosed myself (incorrectly) with just about every possible thing you can think of. Follow up with your real doc - if something was an emergency they would likely be contacting you right away.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hoping for good news for you today Rar.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, Doctor Google is not your friend.

I don't think it sounds particularly concerning (easy for me to say, I know,) because of the suggestion of a six month follow-up scan.

I hope it's just one of those things that can be managed. Try to stay in the moment.

Drinking will not be a solution, K?
Old 04-26-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by hellrzr View Post
Your Alcoholic mind is well at work and off and running!!! You need to stop thinking and stop presuming things. Wait until you talk to your doctor so they can explain it to you. This would be a great time to get to an AA meeting and work with some other Alcoholics. That would be the best thing you can do right now.
Yes, it is!!! I'm doing my best to ignore it.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rar, it's very small and was found early, so I think you shouldn't worry.

The prognosis of this stuff compared to how it was "in our day" 30-50 years ago is so different.

Don't borrow trouble--all will be well
Old 04-26-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You remain in my prayers, Rar. I hope that you hear from the Dr. today and that he can give some additional information and perspective on this.

It sounds good that a six month follow up was recommended

Stay close, dear one, and whatever you do, please don't drink.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Rar

Well that was darned insensitive of your dr. But I agree with D that if there was cause for concern he would have called.

I had two episodes of cancer. Each year I get tests to make sure I'm cancer free and every year it's unsettling to say the least. I have learned that awfulizing, while emotionally indulgent, does nothing to help. I am not religious but I say to myself, thy will be done, and try to move on. I deal with each hurdle as it comes up, rather than predicting hurdles. I try to do this with everything that comes up. Don't worry until there is something to worry about. Sounds simple and with practice it does get easier.

Hang in there. Talk with your dr and get the facts! It'll be ok sweetie.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Your doctor has no doubt dealt with this in others and I daresay he will recommend the right path for you. Monitoring is actually good news!

Thank you for sharing. Hope you are enjoying your day!
Old 04-26-2018, 08:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wishing you the best with your health issue, Rar.
Physical activity has helped me a lot with my sobriety, too. I ride my bike everywhere and do yoga daily. It makes me feel a lot more relaxed and ready to cope with life.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

ive been following your journey of this,rar, and can relate a wee bit.
when i was diagnosed stage 3 metastic melanoma, one of the worst things i could do is go on dr google,which i had to go to the library to do because i didnt even have a computer.
very first thing i read:
5 year survival rate for stage 3 is 23%. i was a year sober, got sober because i was gonna die and now im gonna die within 5 years!?!?!?!?!
i talked to my sponsor about it. he had a **** eatin grin on my face as i was talkin about what i read,then said:
"so ya instantly put yourself in the 77% side. why dont you put yourself in the 23% side and get busy living? and stay away from google and stick with what your oncologist says and the information he gives you."
huh!!!
that was in 2006.
i still have 3 spots that show up on annual MRI and Ct scans. they havent changed in 10 years. i can get squirrely at times- i let my thinkin run crazy. but i can stop it now and direct my thinking to something more useful.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rar--I wish you the best, but I agree with what someone said before--a six month follow up might indicate that it is not too big a deal. Wait for the doctor and stay off the internets! I know that is hard to do.

Where on earth do you play Pickleball? Is there a league or something?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with the others who wrote that if it was something serious your doctor would have called. Based on my conversations with my pulmonologist when she discovered my nodule the six month follow up is standard procedure with out evidence of something being really bad.

I hope this all works out well for you.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Rar, I'm sure the news is very unsettling, but try to wait until you hear what the dr says. It sounded like he suggested a follow-up in 6 months, so it appears to not be urgent. I'm sorry you're going through this and I'm sending my good thoughts your way.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, remain positive. As others have said, google is no good. Dr. Google has convinced me I should have died a dozen times by now. Wishing you the best.