Notices

Over 50 days wiped. Back to day 1.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have also relapsed on day 60 as well. My dumb excuse was a flooding basement from a storm. My sick mind told me that cleaning water would be better if i was drinking beers while doing it. I originally started with a Dry January and continued for the month of Feb.

I relapsed on March 3, with 8 beers. I only bought a 6 pack rather then a 12. I drank those 6, then went upstairs and drank the remaining 2 beers from my sisters apartment. After those 2, i scoured through all her kitchen draws looking for hard stuff, in which non was available.

The most amazing thing was that after 60 days my tolerance did not decrease in the slightest bit. Those 8 beers had a very little effect on me. Its real scary stuff. Today I am 21 days sober again.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bird615 View Post
When I was first trying to get sober again on SR after my relapse, talking to someone about how I was feeling was one of the strategies I tried to use.

The frustrating thing for me was that it didn't always work. By the time I recognized the stinking thinking, it was already too late--at that point I didn't want to talk to anyone--I wanted a drink and that's all there was to it.

I needed something more. Out of all the things I had tried, the only thing that really helped me stay sober was a recovery program to follow along with face-to-face support.
I said to myself if I relapse again I'm going AA. And here I am.

But my problem is I am not a people person. I hate social situations and people. I don't talk well around people. It's hard to imagine me sitting in a room with other alcoholics.

I have Aspergers and for my alcohol was the only thing that allowed me to feel comfortable in a social setting. I always drank to feel "normal" around others. That is a large part of why I've drank all my life.

I rarely leave the house much as it is because the outside world is a scary place without alcohol.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I cracked at 8 weeks, 69 days, and 60 days before getting on my current stretch of 13 1/2 months.

I caved for much of the same reason. I was just tired of suffering sober.

For me the first two months are the absolute hardest. Realizing how hard it was to get to 60 days helped my stay off when I finally made it there again.

Don't give up! Withdrawals started getting worse for me as well and that was also a big eye opener.

Hang in there and just keep going!
Old 03-24-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
It wasn't necessarily the bad times that lead me to drink - it was good times and every time in between. Any day that ended in y was a drinking day.

My problem was simply I had crossed the line into alcoholism and there was no going back. If I was having a good day, then I was an alcoholic having a good day - if I was having a troubled day, then I was an alcoholic having a bad day. Either way, I still am alcoholic.

Craving for alcohol did not kick in until I took that first drink. Then it was apparent the off switch was broken. I had an obsession of the mind. So, I had to not drink that first drink.

It isn't the caboose that kills, it's the Engine......

A quart of vodka can kill anyone, even if they've been undrunk for a couple months. Alcohol isn't keeping a log of sober time. If you're thinking about drinking today consider a meeting and get some phone numbers to call so you can talk through picking up that first drink.

The ultimate insanity is when a sober alcoholic picks up that first drink. I speak from experience, not theory. By grace, I was shown a way out. I didn't have to reinvent anything - just follow others paths.

Alcoholics are very selfish, self-centered people. Many even in recovery. We act like the center of the universe and that we are so very special. I didn't need this elaborate plan for not drinking - I had to make decision and back it up with action. My feet had to move and not just my mouth. I had to get outside myself.

If you're serious about quitting drinking, there is plenty of help available - you're not alone.
Great post, a fine encapsulation of recovery, thanks for sharing
Old 03-24-2018, 01:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post

Note to future self: Remember how bad your anxiety was today. The alcohol isn't worth it.
^^^This is golden - play through the tape to the part where you wake up with a pounding heart, head and stomach. Every relapse it got worse and worse, so when I am tempted to drink I think about how it will end.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tekink View Post
I caved for much of the same reason. I was just tired of suffering sober.
That is a truism that yields drinking, we want to get relief, and we try the old solution of drinking. And you know, as long as we want drinking more than we want to be sober, we will drink. We have to find a "new way of living" without alcohol. If alcohol worked, we would not be here posting whatever it is we choose to post. I know for me I held on to the old idea and the result was nil, until I let go absolutely. Try surrendering, it worked for me and a couple others before me. Good luck on your journey.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
^^^This is golden - play through the tape to the part where you wake up with a pounding heart, head and stomach. Every relapse it got worse and worse, so when I am tempted to drink I think about how it will end.
Good advice. For me, if all I ever "suffered" was the pounding heart, the pounding head, and puking, and "feeling like you know what", I would drink. For me, it was the shame, guilt and remorse of who I had become, how I acted. I hated that person I had become, and I had to own that it indeed was me. Then I got low enough that I could actually say "Help!" and mean it, not help me to drink better. Just for me.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

But my problem is I am not a people person. I hate social situations and people. I don't talk well around people. It's hard to imagine me sitting in a room with other alcoholics.

I have Aspergers and for my alcohol was the only thing that allowed me to feel comfortable in a social setting. I always drank to feel "normal" around others. That is a large part of why I've drank all my life.

I rarely leave the house much as it is because the outside world is a scary place without alcohol.
Maybe on line meetings could work?

D
Old 03-24-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Many people choose not to speak in meetings, especially as newcomers. If prompted a typical response is I'd just like to listen, thanks.

If I could leave the house to get alcohol, I decided I could sit through a few meetings. You might find what many of us found - a common thread and a common solution.