Notices

You know you're an alcoholic when..

Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You know you're an alcoholic when..

You rotate liquor stores
You have a dixie cup full of wine in a cabinet in the bathroom
You have actually poured out a bottle of non alcoholic wine to fill with the real stuff
Just some of the crazy stuff i would do. What crazy things did you guys do?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2/2016

picked the restaurant by whether they served alcohol.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would hide a 1.75 liter in the trunk for family vacations. I stored my fishing stuff in there too.....so I was always "getting something" from my tackle box. I spent more time in my trunk than I did on the beach!! Glad those days are over.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you get to the liquor shop and they go out and grab the slab of beer for you before you make it to the counter
Old 02-09-2018, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When you continue to drink, even knowing the damage it's doing to your relationship with your kids. So glad that's not my life anymore.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When you make sure to drink a couple glasses of wine before a dinner party to make sure you will get enough.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When you get a 2nd DUI one year after your 1st.

When you call in sick for a week so you can drink.

When you drink 3-4 glasses of wine just before a job interview, because you think it makes you appear smarter.

My list is way too long....
Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm generally not a fan of dredging up the horror stories or making light of them. I did a lot of things drunk that ranged from mildly irresponsible to downright dangerous, hurtful and illegal.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When it is 7:15 in the morning and you are waiting outside of the grocery store waiting for it to turn 7:30 am so they can sell you a bottle of wine and said bottle of wine is gone by 8 am.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'm generally not a fan of dredging up the horror stories or making light of them. I did a lot of things drunk that ranged from mildly irresponsible to downright dangerous, hurtful and illegal.
Yeah, agreed. Not really sure what the point of this exercise is?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Im sorry, Scott, I understand. I started this thread because so many people come here asking us if we think they are an alcoholic. Only they can decide, but I think some of us sharing things we did while drinking may make them see themselves.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I opened a bar, makes for a great way to drink all day and feel like you're doing your job. The sales reps love you, their bosses need to see them tasting folks. Works out better in the long run the more you sit with them as they give you the nod on deals before telling others. Worked in bars 20 years prior to that.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always enjoy these threads. While comparing/contrasting isn't recommended per se, it is a nice barometer of measurement. Also, while certainly not funny in the throes of addiction, I do get some humor out of it when looking back. Sick, twisted, pathetic humor, but humor nonetheless.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
I always enjoy these threads. While comparing/contrasting isn't recommended per se, it is a nice barometer of measurement. Also, while certainly not funny in the throes of addiction, I do get some humor out of it when looking back. Sick, twisted, pathetic humor, but humor nonetheless.
Agreed, and if a thread is turning you off, you the ideal way to deal with it is to ignore it and move on. They are easy to spot.

I thought I was pretty clever setting myself up in an ideal situation to drink all the time. It nearly killed me.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When The amount of pictures around the house are ones you had a buzz during the picture and they out number the ones you didn’t have a buzz in
Old 02-09-2018, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was always so much more fun, out going and popular when I was drinking. Now I'm the quiet one, people ask me why I'm so quiet, can't they get a me a drink?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HelloGirl View Post
I was always so much more fun, out going and popular when I was drinking. Now I'm the quiet one, people ask me why I'm so quiet, can't they get a me a drink?
Ha! This will probably be me. I just got out of rehab and wasn't on my FB acct for over a month. I keep my addiction very close to the vest. Haven't even told my closest friends. Messaged one today and she mentioned how she noticed I was off of FB. I felt like saying, "You mean I haven't made an ass of myself lately?"
Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Boxer

When movies dating back to the early 90s are still new releases to you bc you either made it through the movie or simply can’t remember it.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Boxer

*didnt make it through
Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Never bothered switching up stores too much because..F'em...it's my money. Now the having a beer in the shower while I got ready to go out on any given night.. That one still makes me laugh.