Notices

Change

Old 11-25-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Change

I've been fighting for alcohol for as long as I could remember. To be honest its been a silent battle. My struggle with alcohol has been my dirty little secret. My friends have seen me lose control but we always laugh it off because we're young and dabbling in drugs and alcohol seem to be a social norm. I started to realize that I had a problem when I started blacking out, not remembering what I did for long intervals of time which is absolutely terrifying. My relationship ship with alcohol has created tension in my life I've lied, burned bridges, and made a fool of myself.
Im ready to fight, I want to change. I want to be a better person and start using alcohol in a controlled manner for enjoyment rather than as a tool to forget.

Much love, hope everyone is doing well.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysHope47 View Post
I want to be a better person and start using alcohol in a controlled manner for enjoyment rather than as a tool to forget.
welcome!

i had to completely abstain so that i could work on the real problem which is me

Old 11-26-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! You’re in the right place!
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, this is a sobriety forum so you won't get support for moderate drinking here, but you'll get tons of support for stopping drinking.

Once you're at the stage you describe, it's all-or-nothing. Black out drinking is pretty dangerous in lots of ways. Unfortunately, drinkers like us don't "become" normal drinkers. I tried that for quite a while and it just doesn't work.

What do you think about just quitting completely? It's a lot better on the sober side.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

This is a good place for support. I have learned the hard way that stopping by myself does not work, I need the help, words of wisdom and support of others. The logic of letting my own alcoholic brain solve my problems for me has finally sunk in...if you can fine real-time support where you are I recommend that too. Good luck, you can do it and won't regret it.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome AlwaysHope,

I think most of us found ourselves here with very similar feelings to the ones you are having right now.

I tried to moderate my drinking many times, and it never worked for me. I would constantkynfind myself bartering with myself that I could have just a little more wine, and then a little more. I always found myself back to a place where I was drinking more than I should have been.

I didn't have a big rock bottom moment, just lots of little moments when I was not at my best. I deserved better, and did my family and friends.

The beginning is tough, and having a plan is absolutely needed. I used to think I just won't drink, and that is all I need to do, but there is so much more to recovery. It was really about focusing on making healthy choices physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Dee has a great link about recovery plans. Also, two great threads to start posting on are the monthly classes, if you join November you will find others who have committed or recommitted to sobriety this month. Also, the 24 hour thread is a great place to check in each day and commit to the next 24 hours of sobriety. I love this thread because everyone is supportive through good days and bad days.

I have been on SR since 2012, and it took me a while to finally get sobriety right, I will have two years sober January 1st, and spending time reading and posting on this site each day has been a big part of my recovery.

I will post a few helpful links below. I know it seems scary, but life is so much better sober. You can do this!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here are the links I mentioned above:

Link about Recovery Plans

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

24 Hour Thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-319-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 319)

November Class

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...17-pt-2-a.html
Old 11-26-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us have hoped to find controlled drinking and found it doesn't work. On this board, we support abstinence. If alcohol is causing problems in your life, the best option is to stop drinking and be the person you want to be.

I hope you decide to join us in stopping drinking alcohol.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the feedback ! I must admit abstaining completely from alcohol will be incredibly difficult. I'm not sure how to do it, it feels as though I'm surrounded by it all the time. My source of happiness has been alcohol for so long I don't know how to function without it. I'm not sure as how to start being sober.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, AlwaysHope! I'm so glad you've joined us to talk about your situation.

I felt just as you do when I realized I was in trouble with my drinking. For years I was determined to control the amounts I drank. The idea of giving it up completely seemed impossible. Continuing to drink led me to a very dangerous place. I had blackouts too - and ended up living very recklessly. I lost years of my life, spent in an alcoholic fog. We hope you'll consider stopping all together. We'd love to save you from the heartbreak & devastation many of us have faced. It's good to have you with us.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I didn't know what I'd do if I didn't drink, but after the first few months of seriously "not drinking", it eased up and I could see how much better my life was sober.

I have never woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Always Hope

it is true there is always hope - real change can occur...this place helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D