Notices

What’s your gym routine?

Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I mix it up and try not to do too much of the "same routine". So like yesterday I had a killer workout at the gym of 2 1/2 hours total time of running/walking (intervals) an hour+ for cardio. Followed by free weights and abbs, followed by lots of stretching. I need to eat well before my workouts or I get energy crashes...today I'll do stationary bike for an hour, followed by weights and stretching and abbs. I love to go for loooonnng walks outside whenever I can and then when I get home I have a few free weights I can use. I also love to swim and have access to a pool, but I'm not very good about using it. I'm the kind of person who needs lots of cardio. I also try to incorporate yoga and pilates into my workouts.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I used to bodybuild in my mid-30s, but stopped with a shoulder injury. Plus I got bored and wanted to eat food other than tuna, turkey and egg whites.

20 years later, got sober, restarted an exercise routine. Have lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle. Yay me.

Routine:

Day 1: Back/biceps/abs + 20 minutes of interval cardio
Day 2: Chest/triceps/Abs + 20 minutes of interval cardio
Day 3: Abs, 20 minutes interval cardio, 1 hour treadmill
Day 4: Shoulders/traps/forearms/abs + 20 minutes of interval cardio
Day 5: Legs/Abs + 20 minutes of interval cardio
Day 6: Rest, try to do some hiking or a long walk
Day 7: Abs, 20 minutes interval cardio, 1 hour treadmill

I'm doing a mix of dumbbell free weights, cable and machines. The goal is to start on the big three compounds movements (squats, deadlifts and bench) and incorporate into my routine. Plus starting more intense cardio like stairclimb and rowing/ergo machine.

There ya have it. I'm off for the next 4 days due to thanksgiving and busy stuff. I'm also going to cheat like hell on my keto Thanksgiving day, carb city!
Old 11-21-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I used to bodybuild in my mid-30s, but stopped with a shoulder injury. Plus I got bored and wanted to eat food other than tuna, turkey and egg whites.

20 years later, got sober, restarted an exercise routine. Have lost a lot of fat and gained some muscle. Yay me.

There ya have it. I'm off for the next 4 days due to thanksgiving and busy stuff. I'm also going to cheat like hell on my keto Thanksgiving day, carb city!
Haha. I remember eating a lot of tuna too, back in the day! I still like tuna fish sandwiches....but , wow there is such a huge selection of good food really. Tonight I'm making biscuits and gravy. Good job on your fitness, MM.

We're doing the traditional Thanksgiving dinner around here, but plan on having another killer workout the following days.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Monday, chest and triceps; Wednesday, back and biceps; Friday, legs and shoulders. The other four days, 3-4 miles of running (well, maybe just walking on one of those).

The best part? None of it happens in a gym. As others have suggested I keep it accessible -- dumbbells and a bench in my basement, and miles of sidewalk outside my front door.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was doing great at the gym until the end of last year, then "snowmaggedon" and then a bunch of other stuff stopped me cold.

Started going back a few weeks ago and am now weak as heck.

I'm 63 so only lift twice a week. For older people, muscle recovery takes longer. In my prime, I'd lift 4x a week.

No body building routine. I prefer strength training since after age 30, statistics say you lose about 1 percent muscle mass per year. This helps you get some back.

Ideally, I lift on Sundays and Thursdays and then do cardio Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, resting completely (except for "honey-dos") on Saturday.

Like I said, I was doing great, then quit and lost it all. Now it's the long road back.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

1. Start slow.
2. Incorporate 30min + of cardio/aerobic activity. It's not just my opinion: the aerobic component is needed for the body's recovery.
3. Arms and chest for show, but legs for dough (DON'T SKIP LEG DAY!!!)

Find something you like doing, whether that's a certain class, lift, or muscle group you like the look of. Then base a balanced workout around that. Doing the one thing you like will keep you coming, and everything else you can add in.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post
Find something you like doing, whether that's a certain class, lift, or muscle group you like the look of. Then base a balanced workout around that. Doing the one thing you like will keep you coming, and everything else you can add in.
Keep coming back it works if you work it.

Now where have I heard that before?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eaglelizard View Post
If you notify yourself in the morning that today is exercise day, it will become ingrained in your mind, making the actual decision to exercise easier. I like the routine of doing a base amount of exercise (pushups, planks, back bends, stretches) every day just to stay limber without having the time commitment of going to the gym...and adding a run/hills and pullups, dips, different bar exercises 3-4 times a week.
I schedule my yoga, too, even more in advance than that. I look at the week ahead and register for classes based on my schedule, which now almost always means yoga at 10 am except Sun when I go at 430. I've got an unlimited month plan, which is a great deal. I started doing this just like I do AA mtgs (Tu,and maybe Fri 730, MWF noon)....making important things routine definitely keeps me on a good track. I have noticed that I need one day off a week and am making myself do that as of last week.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I started the "Abs After Forty" routine as part of my recovery plan. I let myself go for eight years and got in terrible shape. I avoided that evil mirror at all cost. My routine consist of 3 weight training and 3 cardio workouts a week. The biggest obsticale is just getting off my ass and getting with it. Once I start I'm unstoppable. I've lost 22 lb in five weeks and my strength is gradually going up. Just do it!!
Old 11-23-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I schedule my yoga, too, even more in advance than that. I look at the week ahead and register for classes based on my schedule, which now almost always means yoga at 10 am except Sun when I go at 430. I've got an unlimited month plan, which is a great deal. I started doing this just like I do AA mtgs (Tu,and maybe Fri 730, MWF noon)....making important things routine definitely keeps me on a good track. I have noticed that I need one day official a week and am making myself do that as of last week.
I need to add yoga at least once a week, thanks for the inspiration!
Old 11-23-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

is yoga good for fat guys?? LOL
Old 11-23-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When I did it about 7 years ago, I found that my belly fat was really getting in the way of some yoga poses.

Ready to get back on that horse.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The triangle of sustainable fitness is: strength, cardio and flexibility.

1. I use the gym for strength (Body Pump classes, 2 or 3 x week).
2. I use the great outdoors for cardio (10 - 15 km run, 2 or 3 x week).
3. I use a yoga studio for flexibility (bikram yoga, 1x week).

One day a week, I rest fully.

The best fitness advice I ever read was from a book called Younger Next Year. Essentially, SHOW UP, was what the author said. Show up and treat it like a job. That means 6 days a week, no slacking.

In truth, we all do slack off from time to time and maybe we might "rest" quite a few days in a row, or go on a holiday, etc. However, I now view 6 days a week as the basic requirement.

The second best fitness advice I ever read was: start somewhere.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Do a certain amount of exercise every morning when you get up and it just becomes like taking your vitamins: something you know you need to do in order to stay healthy and feel good. It also breaks down that mental barrier (that "oh God, I don't really FEEL like exercising today" feeling) and the boundary between exercise and the rest of your day. Who's to say you can't just randomly do pushups or pistol squats in the office. Not I!
Old 11-24-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Must admit that my main reason for taking this view is my long-time admiration of Herschel Walker, famous for basing his entire fitness routine around 3-5000 pushups and sit-ups every single day. Look at the guy, he's 55, still doing MMA...competitively.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eaglelizard View Post
Do a certain amount of exercise every morning when you get up and it just becomes like taking your vitamins: something you know you need to do in order to stay healthy and feel good. It also breaks down that mental barrier (that "oh God, I don't really FEEL like exercising today" feeling) and the boundary between exercise and the rest of your day. Who's to say you can't just randomly do pushups or pistol squats in the office. Not I!
That's very true. Do it consistantly for at least a month and it becomes habit. Power of habit!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

When I first started going to a gym, I'd spend a few minutes on this machine than that. Eventually I got into a routine. I spend 45 to 65 minutes on the stair stepper, change cause I sweat a lot, then do the weights, then spend time on bike then finish off in the sauna. John
Old 11-24-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I pretty much live at the gym. If I'm not working, I'm there. Helps me a lot with anxiety and depression and it's good for me to be around people, since I tend to isolate. John
Old 11-24-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Canuckleman45 View Post
is yoga good for fat guys?? LOL
What she's talking about--hot yoga--very much so though all
is beneficial.

Hot yoga burns some serious calories and detoxes you.
It's also very very hard--try it and see.
I couldn't believe how fit you have to be to do some poses
and it helps you manage body tension including neck and back pain.

I also suggest looking at diet.
Going ketogenic / paleo really took weight off me fast and worked
much better than just exercise.

I like to lift 2X week major muscle groups, do push ups, planks, pull ups and other body weight exercises,
and I hike / run 3-8 miles on trails 4-6 times a week.

I do lots of slow hiking as well--steady heart rate work is conditioning and very beneficial
for fat burning--I've lost thirty pounds so far and am strong and darn fit for a fifty-four year old.
I started trail racing this year and just finished a half marathon and a ten miler in the last couple of months.
Never would have been possible for the bloated, sick, drinking me.
Myself in Levis looks darn good too these days

https://www.amazon.com/Primal-Endura...imal+endurance
Old 11-26-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I started training again last year after a 13 year layoff. Its part of my sobriety plan. I train two body parts per day and do 12-18 minutes of cardio at the end. Some days are pretty tough as my motivation ebbs and flows. But I make myself do it because I never regret putting myself through the paces of a good workout.
Never regretting a good workout - so true!