Notices

What’s your gym routine?

Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What’s your gym routine?

Me again! Lol. More irritating questions for y’all. I’m going to start using this stupid gym membership I pay for every month. Haven’t done it for awhile and am wondering how everyone else started theirs
Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well... frustratingly, my gym routine in the past year has basically been:

don't get to the gym
make it to the gym for a few sessions
don't get to the gym
lament not getting to the gym
get to the gym
become frustrated with my lack of fitness
repeat

Old 11-20-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

this is actually a pretty ironic post.... because I was GOING to go to the gym today. Then I screwed around on the Internet instead for too long, then got a phone call for work, now it's too late because I have to go get the kids from school soon.....

#FAIL

But, it was almost a planned fail.

I really need to pay attention to the addictive nature of the way that the Internet functions in my life in negative ways. I'd rather be addicted to the gym and running.... it'd be far better for my long term happiness and health.

Thanks for the highlight on that issue.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your routine looks like mine. Haha
Old 11-20-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I started training again last year after a 13 year layoff. Its part of my sobriety plan. I train two body parts per day and do 12-18 minutes of cardio at the end. Some days are pretty tough as my motivation ebbs and flows. But I make myself do it because I never regret putting myself through the paces of a good workout.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I need to lose some of the drinking weight.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't train over the weekend, but I usually try to do 3 sets of squats, pullups, and pushups. I've incorporated some weights recently, but I feel more tired through my work day when I work heavy weights (for me).
Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I use BeachBody on Demand. I find a workout I like for the day, and do it until I get an injury then I chill for a week or 2 and try to re-motivate myself.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I walk about 4 - 5 miles a day.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Would have no idea how to even start. Hate to say it, but that has kept me from the gym.

So you sound like you are already better off than me.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

How about getting a training session at your gym? Most will devise a fitness plan and workout for you. I find I do much better when a trainer gives me a workout plan.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Start slow! Light weight, good form, stretch out good before, during and after. And eat! Half an hour before going eat something healthy that's got some carbs in it so you don't have an energy crash. Hydrate! Water or sports drink. Protein for recovery. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
I use BeachBody on Demand. I find a workout I like for the day, and do it until I get an injury then I chill for a week or 2 and try to re-motivate myself.
I finally started yoga thanks to BeachBody too, and a dear friend who kept on me to start a practice.
This was in May of this year and in Sep I graduated myself to commitment to a hot yoga studio. Now I go 6x a week, for an hour to 90 min each class. I . LOVE. IT.

And, my fiance and I have done a 5K every month this year (our goal will be complete in just a couple weeks!) and thanks to the hot yoga conditioning, I have seen my PR jump over four min just from Aug to Nov.

Note- I am now 21 mo sober (today!). When I was first getting sober - Feb of 2016- I was VERY sick and did not start exercising at all til about May when I signed up for a one mile race series of Jun/Jul/Aug. It was such a victory to just do that and I am so grateful how much I can use my body every day now.

Looking forward to a 15K in Feb and we have a 2017 goal of one yoga event a month.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Canucklemain.

Congrats on deciding to start exercising again. It's a great tool in sobriety!

My routine?

Ok. Here it is;

Monday - Gym session: legs+cardio
Tuesday - 3 hours of boxing and kickboxing
Wednesday -Boxing+stretching
Thursday - CrossFit class
Friday - Gym session: upper body
Saturday - two hours of boxing and kickboxing.
Sunday - depending on how I feel it's either rest day, or swimming, or some dancing class for a change.

Though when you start, maybe, you should go a little bit easier)
Old 11-21-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

We have an elliptical machine so whenever 'the time is right' we can exercise. I have a set of free weights and videos if I want 'company' while weight training. I bike ride every chance I get and also have a "bike trainer" to set my bike up for an indoor ride. In the long run we have saved money that would have been used on gym memberships, gas to get there, (workout clothes to look good while we are there) and other expenses. Plus, I can get my housework done and do other things I enjoy at home.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello:

My first recommendation would be to drop the "stupid gym membership" attitude.

Depending on your level start slow but DO something. Even walking can make a HUGE difference.

I walk almost everyday and try to do squats, sit-ups, push-ups, etc.

The key is doing it.

Exercise is really great medicine for the body and for the soul. I am happy that you want to get this going.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
this is actually a pretty ironic post.... because I was GOING to go to the gym today. Then I screwed around on the Internet instead for too long, then got a phone call for work, now it's too late because I have to go get the kids from school soon.....

#FAIL

But, it was almost a planned fail.

I really need to pay attention to the addictive nature of the way that the Internet functions in my life in negative ways. I'd rather be addicted to the gym and running.... it'd be far better for my long term happiness and health.

Thanks for the highlight on that issue.

FREEOWL!!! Both your posts are me!
I use all my free time online! GOT to CHANGE.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
FREEOWL!!! Both your posts are me!
I use all my free time online! GOT to CHANGE.
It has crept up on me.... the past decade of increasingly-prevalent online access has made it worse and worse.

Honeslty, Facebook and Instagram and checking emails and even here at SR - together combined form another addiction I need to address. This one's super-tricky because in the modern world it is becoming next to impossible to simply NOT do technology. Particularly when you work in it.

That said - I may have to ultimately just disconnect from some things altogether. Some days, I have a little success in 'moderating' on social platforms. Other days, I find myself just scrolling mindlessly and reading stuff and liking stuff and pointlessly wasting hours.

Sure, it's not "as bad" as alcohol or drugs inasmuch as I'm not hungover or in jail.... but it's still robbing me of the experience of life and sucking up precious time.

UGH.

And with that statement - I'm signing off SR for now, too because I've spent too long scrolling and reading and commenting here today. I'm shutting down facebook, because I've been on it too long today already.

And I'm gonna get to the gym today. And a walk.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If you notify yourself in the morning that today is exercise day, it will become ingrained in your mind, making the actual decision to exercise easier. I like the routine of doing a base amount of exercise (pushups, planks, back bends, stretches) every day just to stay limber without having the time commitment of going to the gym...and adding a run/hills and pullups, dips, different bar exercises 3-4 times a week.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I exercise frequently. My routine mostly involves running and weight training. I'm 4.5 years from being 50 years old (scary thought) and my goal is to be in the best overall physical condition of my entire life the day that I turn 50. If I could make a recommendation regarding exercise, it is this: make it accessible. There are an infinite number of ways to physically condition your body, but if you choose a routine that requires you to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it happen, then it probably won't happen. For me, I have a modest set of free weights at home that use, I subscribe to a cheap app that has thousands of 10-30 minute workouts, and I run. It works because I can get a solid workout done and be showered in less than an hour and I can get a huge workout done in less than 2 hours.