Notices

I thought I could handle it. . .

Old 11-22-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AA wasn't for me either. I was sentenced to it after a DUI. They definitely couldn't help me. I definitely wasn't like them. I wasn't THAT bad. I wasn't into the God thing. It was NOT my deal.

Until about 10 years later. After another DUI and on the verge of losing my job, children and life....

When I finally got out of my own way and realized that AA might have something for me.

Today, 4 years sober and happy, there are still parts of AA that are not for me. But without AA as part of my path I never would have gotten sober.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post

I came to realise I had a life threatening condition, which turned out to be terminal to many people I have known. It is a serious illness. When members of my family have suffered and even died from other serious illnesses, we discovered that the hospital and treatment procedure schedule was not something we could adjust for our own convenience. Mostly, treatment and procedures were during the day and during the business week. We wanted the treatment, we met every appointment, went to every location, followed every direction regardless of the inconvenience. That is what you do when you are seriously ill.

Strange how the alcholic doesn't act that way, instead hoping to find an easier solution. I hope your plan has some more sunstantial elements.
This is really great perspective and a good reminder. I have a brother in law who is a Type 1 diabetic. If he doesn't manage his blood sugar and take corrective action, every day, for the rest of his life, he dies. I am at this point, it's either actively manage my disease, my addiction, or die. He has to put managing his diabetes as Priority #1 in his life, as I have to put my Sobriety as #1 priority in my life. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by misscostalot View Post
. I have created a sobriety tool box as suggested on a related thread on here and have started exercising and voluntary work. Does this constitute a 'plan' or is there something else you would recommend? .
that may work for you, but for me staying busy wasnt going to keep me sober. it wasnt going to stop, quiet, or take away the mental mayhem going on in my head;it wasnt going to resolve the underlying issues alcohol was just a symptom of.
if it turns out that tool box needs more, you can add to it.