Notices

Went to the doctors today now the wait

Old 10-16-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to the doctors today now the wait

Hello all New to the sight but have really leaned a lot and really appreciate all the positive posts. Some background on me I'm a high level functioning alcoholic I have a great job and a wonderful family my problem is I have been drinking hard most of my adult life I'm 36 now. I quit cold turkey and haven't had a drink in 23 days now I feel great but am worried sick about what my drinking has done to my body. I went to the doctors today and came clean about my past drinking made sure I stressed it was excessive I also had a full liver function blood test done now I just have to wait for the results. Anyway I just needed to tell someone that I'm terrified and wondered how other people have delt with a situation like this.
Thanks for your time reading this take care
Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was terrified too but my results were actually pretty good. I'm wishing the same for you, Boone

D
Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober and treat yourself well. I did, and my test results turned out ok.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was terrified too but my results were actually pretty good. I'm wishing the same for you, Boone

D
Thank you it means a lot to know other people have felt what I'm feeling now take care
Old 10-16-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I’m similar in age and was drinking 12-16+ drinks every day at the end of my drinking career. I was terrified to get my bloodwork done, but it came back pretty good. A couple levels were slightly elevated, but the doctor wasn’t concerned. When I got the results back the crazy addictive part of my brain actually thought, “your still in good health, you can keep drinking.” Go figure.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ironhorse1 View Post
I’m similar in age and was drinking 12-16+ drinks every day at the end of my drinking career. I was terrified to get my bloodwork done, but it came back pretty good. A couple levels were slightly elevated, but the doctor wasn’t concerned. When I got the results back the crazy addictive part of my brain actually thought, “your still in good health, you can keep drinking.” Go figure.
Thanks for the reply I can see how you would feel that way but there is no way I want to go through this again not to mention the first week of withdrawals
Take care
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Livers are surprisingly forgiving to an extent, so i'm told.

What would have been interesting is seeing the liver function before and after you stopped drinking.

I know my results where worrying at one stage,after cleaning up the booze
and eating healthier, it started repairing itself.

Hope the results come back positive for you mate.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well just an update and question for everyone. My blood work came back good everything was within normal range so my doctor actually told me I could drink in moderation. Well I know I'm not able to drink responsibly so I'm never going to touch it again. My question is how do you overcome the health anxiety my doctor said I'm fine but I can't believe it I drank so much for so long. My worries about my health have caused problems at home my wife is fed up with my obsession about any possible symptom I try not to google because that never helps it only leads to more anxiety how did others get past there health worries could this just be PAWS

Thank you all for your time
PS I'm now 49 days sober it sure has been a long haul
Old 11-11-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best. I am going on 5 months sober after drinking 30 plus years. I am waiting until I am at least 9 months in to get my liver checked. A pharmacist suggested to hold off for a bit, giving the liver a little time to rejoice the sobriety.. You liver is an amazing organ and can heal itself with time. I feel great, never had any right side pain like a lot have mentioned, so I am keeping my fingers crossed too for the Dr. visit early next year! Cheers!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply I'm sure waiting is a good idea but I was to worried to wait much longer I was surprised that after only a month my results were pretty good I'm sure you will be fine as well. I still can't help but worry I hope it passes with time I guess even if the test results were out of range the only thing we can do is not drink and take care of ourselves so that's what I'm going to do.

Take care everyone
Old 11-11-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good to hear that your results came back fine. I was actually wondering about your results just the other day.

Regarding dealing with anxiety about your health, I think you need to focus on the positive results. Being 36 myself, and sober for the better part of 5 months I think I’ve just come to peace with the fact that I’m getting old and my body will have random aches and pains. I hate to admit it, but we’re getting old!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ironhorse1 View Post
Good to hear that your results came back fine. I was actually wondering about your results just the other day.

Regarding dealing with anxiety about your health, I think you need to focus on the positive results. Being 36 myself, and sober for the better part of 5 months I think I’ve just come to peace with the fact that I’m getting old and my body will have random aches and pains. I hate to admit it, but we’re getting old!
Thanks for the reply I'm sure your right to not worry I hope your doing well congrats on the 5 months I'm hoping to feel better with more sober time thanks for the inspiration it's nice to see someone the same age as myself. Most of my friends and family can not understand when I told them I was an alcoholic I guess I was very good at hiding it too good probably
Old 11-11-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The health anxiety stuck with me for a while - I couldn;t really believe that after all that ill treatment of myself that I was as fine as I was.

It faded in time - go live your life Boone - you have a seocnd chance.

ps and don't listen to advice to drink again from a Dr who I'm sure is well-meaning but doesn't understand alcoholism

D
Old 10-25-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Update

Good day all its been awhile since I last posted. It's been a long haul but I'm happy to say I've been sober for over 13 months now. My health anxiety got much worse after my last post but I'm finally starting to feel better I was a real mess for about 7 months it was the worst I have ever felt in my life. Sobriety is going well I'm defiantly a better dad and husband now but it is still very new for me. I'm finding it hard to replace the drinking in my life i work shift work so I'm up at all hours I use to just get hammered by myself but now I'm just board. Anyway I just want people to know that is gets better I know I was a complete mess for months but seem to have come out the other side thanks to all that post here you have been so much help.

Truly Boone
Old 10-25-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Boone, good to hear from you and congratulations on 13 months of recovery.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Health

Hey,
thanks for sharing your thread.
i am about to turn 40...i have drank heavily all my life (had a few breaks but a long time ago). On the 10/10 i stopped drinking after having a two week massive bender...3 days later i felt like my body was shutting down (this went on for about 10hrs)...i nearly went to hospital. I was fine for 10 days after that and then it happened again (so bloody scarey). For the last 3 days i have had my husband with me all the time. I just went to the doctor for blood test and i have to have an ecg...i too am really scared of the results.
I really related to your thread i also have a career and kids ect ect but it sure as hell doesnt feel like it.... i want to be a better mum, work more productivly at work and be a more balanced person...looking forward to more sober days ahead.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 13+ months sobriety Boone.!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alice9 View Post
Hey,
thanks for sharing your thread.
i am about to turn 40...i have drank heavily all my life (had a few breaks but a long time ago). On the 10/10 i stopped drinking after having a two week massive bender...3 days later i felt like my body was shutting down (this went on for about 10hrs)...i nearly went to hospital. I was fine for 10 days after that and then it happened again (so bloody scarey). For the last 3 days i have had my husband with me all the time. I just went to the doctor for blood test and i have to have an ecg...i too am really scared of the results.
I really related to your thread i also have a career and kids ect ect but it sure as hell doesnt feel like it.... i want to be a better mum, work more productivly at work and be a more balanced person...looking forward to more sober days ahead.
Hang in there it will get better. I was lucky that my wife stuck by me through my drinking but especially during my health fears. I don't know how she put up with my constant internet searching on all things related to liver disease I now know I'm getting better and will never drink again it seems we may not be as sick as we think we are stress is very unhealthy too. It's funny I was never one to worry about my health or visit my doctor but once sober it became my obsession. Congrats on deciding to quit drinking it's a great choice.
truly
Boone
Old 10-27-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Boone- 'fear of fear itself'. I was afraid of being afraid. The only way I know to face anything in life- is to accept stuff, let go and ride the eaves of emotion.
Basic serenity prayer stuff- with lots of support from counselor, doc, meetings, friends and here.
Support to you
Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Boone

D