Notices

Went to the doctors today now the wait

Old 11-16-2019, 08:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Update again

well I'm back the guy who started this post. I'm still sober over 2 years now and I'm really starting to get restless. I read here often and appreciate everyone's insight so maybe you all can give me some ideas. My craving to drink is back full force j realize I spent my first year sober scared about my health after many years of heavy drinking. My second year was spent happy that I wasn't as sick as I feared and now in my third year I'm starting to really struggle to hold it together. If any body has suggestions or stories about when the cravings went away that would be great.
Truly
boone
Old 11-16-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back. Glad to read you are two years sober. Not drinking is one thing. Recovery from alcoholism another. Which did you do? Abstain or recover?
Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome back. Glad to read you are two years sober. Not drinking is one thing. Recovery from alcoholism another. Which did you do? Abstain or recover?
i don't think I'll ever recover as to me that means I could drink again with no problems I plan to abstain for ever I just am having more cravings than before. Might just be the time of year thanks for your time
truly
boone
Old 11-16-2019, 05:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

First off congrats on 2 years

Yeah fear never lasted as a motivation for me - and I nearly died,

Recovery to me doesn't mean being able to drink again - it means living sober and being happy about that.

What changes have you made in your life besides not drinking Boone? what things would you change in order to be happy in the life you have now?

D
Old 11-16-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you again, Boone. 2 yrs. sobriety is wonderful. Congratulations.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Back again

Hello again I’m back now over 5 years sober just thought I’d check in again because I still can’t shake the urge to drink. I’m just frustrated that after all this time I’m still white knuckling every day is this how it’s going to be forever. Hopefully somebody can offer some advice sorry to pop back in after so long but I’m still not right in my mind. I thought quitting would solve my problems but 5 years on I’m still thinking about drinking everyday yours truly
Boone
Old 10-27-2022, 04:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I just read your thread from the beginning - and wow 5 years is so great, well done.

As for your cravings and desire for drinking, picking up a drink will land you right back where you were when you started this thread.

A desire to drink for me is often because of some other issue in my life. I know I have to deal with that issue, and I know it will take some work to do it.

Maybe try posting here for a while, let us know what's going on for you. It may help you move through the urge to drink.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Boone. It's great to see you. Never be sorry for showing up here - we're your friends, & we want to help if we can.

I agree with dusty that posting here & talking things over might help a lot. I think that's why I've stayed here all these years. I don't feel alone. It's hard to explain what we go through to those who don't understand.

5 years is wonderful - be proud.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Boone - congrats on 5 years

I guess my instinct is to ask what are the things have you changed in your life apart from not drinking?

A life geared to drinking as problem solver or mood regulator or whatever else you think drinking can do for you, is never going to be easy to leave behind - that booze shaped void will always be there...unless you build a sober life you love.

What kinds of things are you thinking of drinking over - can they be solved other ways?

D
Old 10-28-2022, 04:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
I guess I’ve not changed much in my life just stopped drinking my issue just seems to be an ever present want to drink again it’s never really triggered by anything. I’m worried that just forcing myself not to drink won’t be enough soon after 5 years I was hoping my craving would have subsided but I was wrong
thanks for the support
Boone
Old 10-28-2022, 07:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello Boone
Perhaps take a deep close examination of your life for something missing. A place within you where there might be room for personal improvement. Maybe a life goal, hobby, activity, spirituality, something enjoyable and challenging. Posting here at SR will help you discover more about yourself. For some (like myself) putting down the drug is just the first step in a multi-step process of holistic wellness.
Old 10-28-2022, 12:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
kes

Hi,

I had full LF tests earllier this year before going into inpatient detox. They were alarmingly bad. A normal persons liver should be around 20-40, mine was 460. This accelerated my journey into the detox unit. I had them ret-aken after 49 days without a drink - my doc, the rehab team and my social worker were amazed. They had fallen to 34 in just 49 days. This is in range of a normal liver!

Bear in mind, I was a chronic alcoholic drinking 7.5 litres of 8% cider everyday.

The point I'm making is, even if they're bad, your liver is resilient and rapidly repairs itself, providing it isn't cirrhosis. This is well documented in the above posts. Try not to panic whatever your results and focus on your continued sobriety. Do this and your liver will take care of itself and you!

Hope this helps, wishing you ATB
Old 10-31-2022, 03:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

5 Years is great!

Sorry you still struggle though.
I'm with the others that you need to change your recovery up a bit.
Something is holding you back from the Freedom of sobriety.

Work it out. Enjoy this new life without the desire for the poison.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober since October 24, 1997

Well, we know one pretty important thing about you. You can "white knuckle it" staying sober for five years. You've got the part about staying sober for a long time licked, but the five years of being in distress part is something else entirely. THAT is a pretty good indication that there is something behind your craving to drink again that needs your attention.

Finding out what you have to do to remain sober for the rest of your life is something you do for yourself, not something someone else does for you. That may seem like a cold statement at first glance. But keep in mind that others will help you find out what you have to do, along with make it as easy as possible. That is why SoberRecovery is here.

I can't speak for others because everybody is different. I've been sober for quite awhile, and a good part of how I have stayed that way is from finding out what needed fixing about who I am, and then fixing those things. That is a job I do, every day. My attitude is that particular job doesn't have any days off because being sober doesn't have any days off. My life depends on it! Another part of my attitude about that job is it is an adventure I look forward to, not some kind drudge. I had to change my attitude about that, too, and that was the very first thing I worked on, that to the best of my ability my life was going to be an adventure instead of a drudge.

One other thing, when people turn 18 years old, they are not somehow magically all finished with growing up, never needing to mature beyond that point of late childhood. But unfortunately, that is what often happens. What should happen is that we take over from our parents. We never finish growing up, that takes, or should take, the rest of our lives. Speaking for just myself, understanding that fixed A LOT of issues behind why I was drinking.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It's good to see you back but I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. For starters, congrats on five years! Pat yourself on the back for that, it's a win. A tough win is still a win and you're way better off sober.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I relapsed almost made 6 years **** me
Old 08-24-2023, 10:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Boone but I'm glad you made it back here - many do not.
Maybe plugging yourself in here daily for a while will help?

I had no idea how to 'be sober' but the community here helped me work it out

D
Old 08-24-2023, 10:10 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I don’t know how I made it back here a moment of clarity I guess I’m so ashamed
Old 08-24-2023, 10:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add that DEE your a saint you were the first to welcome me and the first to reply 6 years later from a selfish alcoholic I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart you are making a difference
Old 08-24-2023, 11:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words Boone, but if I can get this not drinking thing down, you can too
Don't give up

D