Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Day 14 (completed) but still afternoon.
So today in 2 hours will be my first meeting with a group to get info on the treatment offered at this clinic.
Feeling pretty neutral about it. I have no expectations. So far, so good as far as early recovery goes.
At times, I may get the slightest of cravings and thoughts but they vanish quickly. I eat a lot, especially sweets and drink a lot of coffee, but that doesn't bother me much either because I'm also quite physically active and don't obsess over my weight. I do get bouts of anxiety, I guess I could stand to cut down on the caffeine. Only pills I am on are over the counter cheap sleeping one's. They help but I can do without as well.
Good going to all on your progress!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread Dee.

Welcome Wick, BGS, Ben and Badger. We now have 2 Bagders - it's fabulous

Congrats to everyone on their days. 3 weeks for me today. Feels different this time from all the other times I've tried to quit this year.

Had a rough day-everything that could go wrong did and spent all morning trying to sort out incompetent bank issues I was so angry and furious. Hopefully it's all sorted now and I didn't drink or want to so pleased about that.

Thomas- I love Taggart and have many of the DVDs but love watching the reruns, There's been a murrrdur....

Hope your meeting goes well this evening Caprice.

Still eating healthily and feeling much better as well as starting to lose some weight and feel like I've got more energy. It's weird isn't it how you feel better so then feel like doing more exercise. Although reading about marathons that some of you do makes me tired. I'm so impressed with you all -well done

Early night for me and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.x
Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 19, still going strong!

I honestly thank God for my medical professionals that I am working with this time. I have my life back.

During the past 2 years I had lost interest in hobbies, exercise, eating healthy and even listening to music. I did what I had to do to get through my work day. I always made sure that I looked presentable but exerted no effort to go beyond that. My anxiety was awful.

These days? I've begun reading again, dug out my knitting, have music playing in my office and my car, I'm putting extra effort into my appearance and eating healthy. Still can't exercise because of the pain from my fractured spine but once it's healed I will. I am calm without anxiety and my road rage is gone!

I've been to restaurants sitting in the bar areas and to dinner parties, full of alcohol. Nothing has tempted me as i sit and reflect on how good I feel, especially in the morning.

Work has been great. I'm energized and motivated and it's been recognized by the CEO. I no longer dread going to work!

Sobriety is awesome! If you're struggling or on day 1, give it a try. I know it's early days for me but I'm convinced that this time it's forever. My toolbox has multiple tools and it's working. This, being the last of multiple attempts, is going to be IT.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks Ready At Last and hello again everyone.
I must say, after the presentation and all that talk about opiates and booze, the cravings kicked right back in! I felt like getting high or drinking booze right then and there. My vice was beer, but now I'm thinking a pina colada wouldn't hurt. Tastes so good and the weather is so nice. How can I go on for the rest of my life and never have a pina colada again? Surely i wouldn't binge on such a creamy, tasty and sweet drink that doesn't even taste like disgusting booze! But once it triggers the reward (buzz) inside my head I would probably go buy a case of beer. Solution - get a coconut type frap or virgin pina colada i guess.
Anyway, they are very lenient in thwt group...offer free clean needles and all these things for users so the community stays safe. Also medication for cravings and detox for those in need.
Only problem is i will need to reschedule my private appointment on the 29th because it's at noon and I'm not available. I just hope I don't have to wait too long for a suitable time.
Anyway, mostly what I got from it is my AV kicking back in.
Guess I'll just go stuff my face with a sweet vanilla milkshake instead.
Congrats to all on your progress!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Hi guys I'd like to join this group. Did well last year got to nearly 100 days then it all went bad and has got worse.

day 1.
Nice to meet you ben😁
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Badger07, Ben and BGS

D
Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

No worries, Badger, I'm just glad you're here. You are my SoBro forever!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow, look how big our September family is becoming! Welcome to everyone new.

Day 15 for me. Drinking so much herbal tea my skin might turn green, but at least it isn't booze.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just thought I'd jump in and say hello.

On Day 4 here. So far, so good. This isn't my first rodeo, so trying to come up with a plan to deal with the cravings when they rear their ugly head. And they will...its only a matter of time.

Also dealing with some relationship issues right now which isn't fun but has to be dealt with. Turns out I said some pretty mean things to my SO when in a recent blackout. Not good. I apologized, but its still not good and set us on a pretty rocky path. Thankfully I was sober when this was brought to my attention, but it still is difficult to hear some of things I said and have no recollection.

Off to have a cup of herbal tea, trying to make that my new nighttime habit instead of that dreadful wine.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi guys. 2:23 AM here on day 2. Can't sleep. But apart from that feeling positive.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day two here as well. I did not sleep too well last night, probably due to how much I slept the previous night (11 hours, plus a midday nap). I'm hoping to get back into the normal sleep cycle tonight.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I am still hanging on I'm going back to work tomorrow. I had to take 4 days off to deal with my withdrawals this time. I just will make sure this is the last time.

I am so anxious because i had to fake some illness in the family. I had lost so much time at this job i am very much afraid of being fired.

so wish me luck tomorrow hopefully no one ask too many questions as i feel pretty awful about lying and screwing up.

definitely my alcoholism is very unmanageable.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I wish someone tell me they had been in my shoes and that all will be okay. Im so anxious the feeling of dread is constant
Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing you the best tomorrow SAH

D
Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 22
Saw the Doc again today and we've come up with a plan to bring my anxiety under control. The way she explain how my nervous system (over active chemical imbalance of some sort, cant remember) has been in a overactive state since I stopped drinking makes sense because I'm no longer depressing my brain with alcohol. And I've been making it worse, getting myself all worked up into panic attacks and anxiety. Anyhow, I went to a meeting tonight, talked with my sponsor and I'm feeling really positive and feeling good about getting past it. It's amazing how I managed to stay sober through all this but I have no desire to drink and although the thoughts have popped in my head, I played them through and saw that it would just make it worse. So I pray everyday to stay sober and to those thoughts away from me. Meetings, talking with my sponsor and prayer have help me though it.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I can't guarantee all will be ok tomorrow SAH, but when I'm faced with consequences of my drinking, it's a great reminder of why to quit. And just know that you can only move forward, stay sober, and hopefully rectify the situation with a clear mind. We've all done bad things due to alcohol, and now you're taking steps not just to quit, but to better yourself. I hope all goes well.

I read about so many people who drink herbal tea on SR I think I'm going to go buy some tomorrow. I'm a big coffee drinker, sometimes even into the evenings. Not good for sleep. Maybe the tea can be a good nightly substitute. I already drink a ton of seltzer.

Hats I have a lot of anxiety too. Alcohol always quieted my mind. It's definitely a trigger. Well done on taking steps to deal with it.

Good night everyone
Old 09-18-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. There are lots of us now, like a big, sober convoy rolling along and gathering momentum. I wonder if that's why it's called 'Being on the wagon'? Day 19 here. Comforting to hear that I'm not the only one fighting this. For those struggling with anxiety, I find gentle exercise helps a lot - just walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, etc. - apparently exercise kind of 'Burns up' the excess chemicals that cause anxiety and thereby helps relieve it. Works for me anyway. Happy, sober day to all.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Morning all. Had a rotten sleep worrying about stuff. But no matter, I will sleep tonight and at least I don't have a hangover.

Sometimes worrying about work is worse than it is soberandhealthy. Hopefully your day will be better than you expect, in any event it will be over soon and you will hopefully feel better later. Even if your absence record is questioned you will have 100% attendance from now on as you are sober so will make up for it

Hope everyone has a good day.x
Old 09-19-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I originally posted this in the wrong thread , I,m lazy this morning so just copied and pasted it in here but changed my 40 days sober to 50 days which is the corrects amount of days .

Morning , day 50 for me . Yesterday I went a 6 mile round walk along the canal banks . The towpath is well looked after so good for walking cycling . Since it was a nice enough day there were plenty people out and about . I cast my memory back to the days I walked this same walk but for the purpose of drinking . I even fell in the canal once drunk ! well to be exact I cycled in drunk .
I felt myself cringe at that thought .
Anyway I pulled myself out of the past and enjoyed the still September air and thanked God for my sober day .
Old 09-19-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wow, T59 - cycling into a canal - never heard of that before. Could've been really serious yet also quite funny to hear - what happened, how did you get out? Was it deep? Did you salvage the bike? I live on a canal boat, so I'm really interested in all things canalian. Heard of people falling off boats when drunk - one guy drowned. Another really sad story from our marina - guy was on holiday going through a long tunnel in the midlands whilst wife was at the other end of the boat on the front. Well, he hit his head on the roof, got concussed, fell in and drowned. His wife had no idea until boat emerged from the tunnel and he was no longer steering on the back. Don't know if alcohol was involved but it usually is - very boozy life, boating.