Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

21 days today!

Busy but great day at work, followed by the hairdresser and then home to a healthy dinner cooked by my partner in crime.

No cravings. No desire to drink. Sleeping well. Life is great!

Off to bed. Wishing everyone strength and determination to continue to battle this terrible disease.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

We had a date night at a favourite restaurant last night. There is a particular wine that I always get there and I really love it. It was weird to be there and have a soft drink, but not impossible. And the bill, so much smaller! I don't really eat when I'm drinking, so it was a surprise that I could almost finish my meal last night. Normally I'm full after a couple of bites as I've filled up on booze.
On that though, I remain jealous of all those who are dropping weight with giving up drinking. If anything I think I am gaining. Ugh. I'm sure it will balance out eventually.

I'm on day 17. We're going to the movies tonight, another place I always buy wine to take in, but it'll be fine.

Stay strong September family.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day 4 guys. Strange dreams and very little sleep. Gonna be a long day. Hoping it will go quick if I keep busy.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Day 6 here for me. Was on a business trip the past few days and that craving reared its ugly head as I found myself standing in front of one of my favorite airport bars. (Anyone who knows the MSP airport well, it was Ike's.) Just as you go through security there it is. Great burgers and great bloody marys. A ritual anytime I travel through that airport.

For a split second I thought about going in and ordering just a virgin mary with that burger. But I didn't . I wasn't really all that hungry and so kept on going to my gate and of course ran right into another bar where I'd usually stop to have a drink while waiting for my flight. Why are there so many bars in airports, anyway?

Found myself a seat where I couldn't see the bar and just read some stuff on my iPad till I boarded the flight. Whew. All good. The lady across from me ordered a wine and it sure looked good, but I stuck with a diet coke.

Once home, I fixed some dinner and went to bed, but now find that I am wide awake an unable to sleep. I recall from my past attempts at this that the insomnia usually kicks in around this time for me, so I know it's temporary.

For those following the herbal tea adventures that some of us are on, I fixed myself a cup of "Sleepytime Extra" herbal tea. Valerian root and chamomile with a touch of spearmint. Drinking it now and hoping it will work soon. It usually does.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Morning all
Juno and sober369I hope you both had good sleeps and feEl better today. I understand as had an awful few days until yesterday. Emotional weepy scared overreacting resentful depressed etc. Lack of sleep was a huge factor but I think these emotional ups and downs are normal in early sobriety.

I just tell myself OK drink may number the pain now but that's all I'll be .number. tell problems and feelings will still be there and I'll feel ill more depressed and a heck of a lot worse with a hangover and back to day 1. I don't know if I have the energy for another day 1.

At least sober we can work through our feelings and problems with clarity. Yesterday I felt slightly better and faced each task as it came . Hi slept very well last night and truly feel like a new person today. As will you. Give it time. ☺x
Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

LoveHateWhine - I have the Yogi "Bedtime" tea. Nice message attached of:

"You don't need love, you are the love."
Old 09-21-2017, 12:23 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Haha ben83 - I don't think you're alone there! Drinking first thing on days off was not a rare occurrence for me. I mean, what else would I do with my day?

ramius- I got a DWI once as well. At least you're learning from yours! I think I spent a few weeks not drinking and then went right back to it, using the legal stress as my excuse. The only good thing that happened was that when I decided to stop drinking I knew where to go - thanks to my court ordered AA meetings!

LoveHateWhine - I know that bar! I'm not at MSP that often, but I do travel for work a lot so I feel your pain! Drinking was such a good way to kill time at airports or on flights. I bought myself a nice pair of noise canceling headphones and have taken to using that time for reading instead

Didn't sleep so well last night, but I also had pizza for the first time in months, so hard to tell if it was just because I ate too much or because I had too much on my mind. Hoping I'll sleep better tonight as I have an early travel day tomorrow. I've also decided to quit smoking. I tried this once before and it didn't go great, but it's already going better this time. I tried the 'moderation' thing last time - what a joke! It seems cold turkey for drinking and smoking is the only way to go for me. Once I have one I just can't stop... Reading a new book called 'Blackouts: Remembering the things I drank to forget' and it's pretty fantastic. I usually don't read drinking related material but sometimes in these early days it's nice to relate to someone! She brings up some great questions as well.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Would love to join here if I could.

Just completed Day 13. Was a positive one for the most part. The mornings have been the most stressful for some reason. I did talk to a good friend who has stayed sober and got some great support from him. Gave me some good advice about going to AA as well.

My Parents are also being supportive and glad I have came clean about my issue. They have seen me at my worst while I made up excuses. I know it has worried them for years.

Now onto two weeks.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:26 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Congrats to all who got through a bad day .
To all who are struggling today hang in there , its gets better a day at a time, read and post , be easy on yourself , treat yourself ,love yourself .
Whatever stage of sobriety your at I hope your day is kind to you .
Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Day 21. Seem to have caught a cold for the first time in many years - wonder if it's related to stopping drinking? No alcohol for 3 weeks! Seems ok really, just get a bit bored in the evenings - get that craving around 6pm which goes by about 7pm - I must find other things to do - it's a bit tricky as I don't (Passionately) watch television and haven't done so for about 35 years. Maybe yoga or swimming...?

Happy and content sober day to all.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I am still here battling x had very bad anxiety attack early hrs tuesday morn and followed on to yesterday aswell.

Good to see so many people doing well and if ur having hard time we all understand xx

have a easy day all x
Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope today is better for you erratic

D
Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Welcome Neo! I hope your anxiety lifts Erratic. I hope everyone has a wonderful day, comfortable and happy in our new clear minds!
Talked to my sponsor last night and we're going to try harder to find a time to do my fifth step. I have to be patient and remember that other people have busy lives too.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hey all,
just logged back in here after many years to join your class of September 2017!
I've been on and off the booze over the last years, but never really got a grip on it.
Once I start, I never know how much I'll end up drinking and what kind of stupid decisions I'll be making, and it's starting to affect my relationship and my work, but mostly it's making me insanely anxious. And I can't deal with that anymore.
I'd like to tell you the story of last weekend, so you get the idea:
I went out with a friend who was in town Friday night and we had a few beers at the pub and then went to mine for more beers. Saturday, I had other friends coming through who stayed at our place for the night, so we went for dinner, had lots of wine, went back to ours, played some games, more wine, beer, whiskey, I passed out drunk around 4am or so. Next day we all went out for brunch and I had a beer to help with the hangover (because that's always a genius idea :/ ). My husband went home to take a nap and we stayed a bit longer. I had some work to do, so I told him I'd go to the office after. I stayed, another friend arrived, my friends left, and I drank more and more beer.
Sometime during that afternoon, my phone ran out of batteries without me noticing, so my husband couldn't reach me (later I saw a text where he asked me how work was going, thinking I was at the office). Somewhere around the point where I fell down the stairs when I went to the loo, I realised that I was way drunk and had to go home. So barely hanging on to consciousness I took public transport and staggered home, where I promptly passed out on the sofa.
Understandably, my husband (who is the most loving and forgiving man) was not thrilled. He thought I was in the office, I didn't get in touch, and then I just come staggering home pissed out of my face and passing out. It's 4 days later, and I'm still feeling very anxious physically. This story exemplifies everything pretty well.
And this has to stop. Now.
I'm looking forward to reading more from you guys (currently typing this on my lunch break) and to going on this journey with you.
Thank you!
Old 09-21-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Welcome Leeloo! Glad to have you back. I've been off and on since I first joined in 2015, but looking forward to making it stick this time
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Day 17.
I don't remember the last time I made it this far. I don't know what it is but I'm impressed, not with myself because it's been relatively easy and doesn't feel like work or putting in work, it's just at the fact.
I've gone extremes again. From a daily all day drinker and binger (sometimes nightly when i started waking up at 3 or 4 am) to nothing.
The cravings have not been as intense and ongoing. I recall the last times I tried, they were a daily struggle to fight off, eventually causing me to relapse because they weren't going anywhere.
Very strange, but very grateful. Really hope this is finally it. I don't need, crave, desire alcohol and could do without it for the rest of my life.
Nothing short of a miracle in my case. I can't explain it or justify it.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, beginning day 6. Last night was difficult and i found myself doing things around the house and thinking how i would usually grab a beer and then do those things. I made it through and actually went to bed early. Even though I went to bed early I still woke this morning completely exhausted. I hope a good sleep will come soon.
Hope everyone else has a great day/night (where ever you are).
Old 09-21-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I must add, however, it's not been all sunshine and rainbows.
My diet is awful. I can't bring myself to eat healthy. It's junk food, fast food, sweets, hot dogs, milkshakes, ice cream, chips...i just choose to be oblivious to it for the time being because at least it's not ruining my life but something needs to be curbed in that area eventually or I'll become obese and have another life threatening disease to deal with.
It may be a factor to my lack of alcohol cravings.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

welcome leeloo xx

thanks for everyone support x my anxiety wouldn't be so bad if it was just mental but i suffer attacks which it ends up in my jaw and my tongue which i end up like i have had a stroke doh x
still trying to find out what provokes this but it just comes out of the blue and can build up over time. I had this when i gave up drink in march but this time it wasn't due to that. nvm will work through it.

will check in later to see u all x
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Caprice, I gave myself a while with a bad diet when I first quit. It took me about a year after that to really start exercising and eating healthy and taking care of myself. I've had a few drinking relapses (nothing too major, just a night here or there) but have continued on with the exercise and diet and I'm very impressed at how much better I feel. It makes getting right back to being sober a bit easier, I think, knowing how good I feel when I really take care of myself.

I think in the beginning it's important to just get your legs under you without drinking then add the other stuff later. Something to look forward too haha

Erratic - have you seen a doctor or therapist? Maybe the could help!