Notices

Borderline alcoholic looking for advice

Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You're not offending me my talking about moderation but it's often a pipe dream for those who haven't found acceptance yet that's all. Recognising you're hitting it too hard right now and addressing it before you lose any control you still have right now is great if you can do it. And yes making changes at 33 and preventing the downward slippery slope is absolutely something worth giving a real go. Just be totally honest with yourself is all I advise.
I'd give anything to have stopped at 33.....just sayin!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just so everyone knows, it's against our rules to promote the use of drugs or alcohol. It's not a question about offending people.

It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sorry Anna I understand
Old 08-25-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
under new management

"You're right about people already knowing, I get friends and family occasionally asking me if I think I'm an alcoholic. I usually answer that I'm more of a pisshead, the last mate that got that answer said that he thinks I could quite easily add a raging onto the front of that
I couldn't really argue with that."

IMHO this is a red flag.

33 years old is kind of long in the tooth to be so concerned about not disappointing your mates.

Please stick around and do some reading before you decide you aren't as bad as the rest of us.

I hope you figure this out sooner rather than later.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Not really "levels of alcoholic". All signs point to yes. Sorry to say.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky1 View Post
Although I agree that I'm not quite there yet I find your words of wisdom very easy to relate too. I realise that when I've spent all my money and start feeling down about myself I'm able to find the motivation for temporary abstinence and moderation, the problem is when I pull myself back out of the hole I lose that willpower and the self destructive cycle starts again. I have been through just a few of these cycles and need to learn to stick to a plan when times are good, I guess that's the hardest part for me at the moment.
This is the sick psycho carousel ride I was trapped on too. Hardly ever drink but when I do/did it was usually to get drunk. I like to party 'alot'. It is so much fun!! Until I peak at the buzzed point. Then it's pathetic and awful. I never knew I could have just as much fun and craziness without the poison. I'm still me! I am still a rocker. I still cuss. I still make mistakes. I just don't put that poison in my body anymore. God the hangovers. F&*# that.

My cycle.. Do real good at work and home. Reward self with getting plowed. Make dumb decision. Be hungover. Usually for few days.

REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT!!

Didn't reach the drink everyday... Thank God because addiction is progressive and eventually it gets worse.

I tried Moderation Management. It works great until it doesn't. lol We are chasing the dragon my friend. Keep chasing, you'll eventually get worn out.

Try the real you out for a while without getting fuked up. It's worth it. Doesn't happen overnight. I still have massive urges. I get so angry when they come on strong. It's hard. Not going to lie. But it's worth it.