Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Notices

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Old 07-04-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Colette122 View Post
I need advice. I'm 24 days sober and am invited with my adult daughters to a neighbors today for cookout. I know there will be wine and mixed drinks and I also know I could have just one or two drinks and stop. I only drink too much when I'm alone. If I refuse wine and drinks I know they will ask me why and not be content with that and will want to find out every detail about why I'm not drinking. Is it worth it to not drink, or should I just take a glass of wine and nurse it for the night?
It's none of their business, and you don't owe them anything. Nothing they say changes that. Do what is right for you.

Put some sparkling water in a wine glass, or water in a beer can.

Better than wine in a water bottle or beer in a soda cup.. *snort*
Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Personally, I would skip the outing. For me, 24 days sober would have been too soon to step into an atmosphere where I might be tempted. But that's just me...everyone is different.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm off to bed. Congratulations on 5 days Brenda. Enjoy today everyone and always remember Weekenders rule no 1 - post before picking up.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Happy 4th everyone?

No rest for the wicked.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Happy 4th! Just watched the fireworks, and the best part? It was just a couple houses down by the water.....didn't even have to leave the driveway....oh, and I'm still sober
Old 07-04-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Hi gang, just doing my evening check-in. I've been spending time practicing my uke. I only new one short tune for the longest time, but now I know two sort tunes and some cords.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ok, I have to do it. I try not to wish ill will but I have to send this day out with a bang.

Guess who gets to wake up tomorrow with NO hangover?????!!!!!

US!!!!!!!

How glad are you right now that you made it?
Old 07-04-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Morning xx
Old 07-05-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Ok, I have to do it. I try not to wish ill will but I have to send this day out with a bang.

Guess who gets to wake up tomorrow with NO hangover?????!!!!!

US!!!!!!!

How glad are you right now that you made it?
That's great, LB!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Still FELT like a hangover when I had to wake up at 5am. Running my fan all night makes me feel like I have a hangover, but I have to, it gets too hot.

In fact a couple mornings ago I had a drinking dream, and woke up and it took me a minute to remember that I had not in fact drank the night before, because it felt so much like I had.

Did I mention I hate summer?
Old 07-05-2017, 03:35 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Oh I love summer, we are looking at a week of hot weather. I'm mad at my neighbor tho, can't put my pool out until the fence it done. At this rate, neither will be going up this summer.... I nailed a sign to his rickety old fence this morning politely asking him to proceed with taking it down.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I will pray that he gets the show on the road, Dragon!
Old 07-05-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

An update about my post above about my worries for avoiding drinking at neighbors barbecue: nobody said a word about my not drinking! Lol shows that it's really no big deal to say no to alcohol at social events. Nobody even notices! So I'm 25 days sober instead of back at day 1. Thanks to all of you who responded!! This site is a life saver
Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Colette! Glad you had a good time!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

An update about my post above about my worries for avoiding drinking at neighbors barbecue: nobody said a word about my not drinking!

Lol shows that it's really no big deal to say no to alcohol at social events. Nobody even notices! So I'm 25 days sober instead of back at day 1. Thanks to all of you who responded!! This site is a life saver
Yep - Me too. I went to a BBQ and just grabbed a soda out of the cooler. No one said a word or cared.....

I watched the others drink beer and wine..... (I secretly thought, wonder how they are gonna feel later in evening or in morning).... Knowing I was going to be clear and headache free today.

CONGRATS ON DAY 25 !
Old 07-05-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

An update about my post above about my worries for avoiding drinking at neighbors barbecue: nobody said a word about my not drinking! Lol shows that it's really no big deal to say no to alcohol at social events. Nobody even notices! So I'm 25 days sober instead of back at day 1. Thanks to all of you who responded!! This site is a life saver
I am so happy to hear that!

I bet you feel amazing today!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Went to dinner with a friend at a sports bar last night who doesn't know I stopped drinking and we always have gotten drinks together when going out. I was totally prepared, but was surprised he had actually only ordered a water for himself before I even arrived. Things for several of us have been much easier than we anticipate ahead of time!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders MidnightRider. I hope everyone was OK.

Collette Julia8 i'm glad things were easier than anticipated.

Lunch with the boss today I suppose it could have been worse.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

I hope we here on the thread can lift your spirits, Sao!

At least your workday is ebbing mercifully away by this time of day.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

I was 9 years old when we went to live in Portland, Maine for a year. It was strange for me going from a religious school to a different school, and I was only young at the time. I remember my parents had a party one evening and they were explaining to friends that I found the lack of religion and daily prayers very strange. At this point I piped up "but we do say a prayer every day mummy!" My parents were surprised and said "recite the prayer for us! please". I climbed up on my chair eagerly and said "every morning we put our hand on our chest and turn to the flag and say I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America"...(I can't remember the rest). There was complete silence at the table before all the grown ups started laughing. I had thought this was a prayer as it did seem rather "prayer like".

We had many happy holidays there over the years. Happy Independence Day to my American friends - sorry I'm late as usual