Notices

I need to stop

Old 04-30-2017, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop

I hate alcohol and I hate the day I first ever tasted it. I am 43 and I have been trying to quit the drink for the last 15 years. I go round in circles of the I will give up, I will control, I will get "normal" whatever that is. I am so full of hatred and anger for myself and the fact that I am so weak that I cannot stop the drinking. I have so much to live for and am starting to think I don't deserve any of it because I have this other shameful life with alcohol. I literally feel that I am slowly killing myself. I lost my dad 2 years ago. I watched him drink himself to death and I tried so hard to get him better and now here I am doing exactly the same thing. Why couldn't my brain see how my dad was and put me off alcohol forever. Madness that I watched my dad which was horrendous and I still put the poison in myself. Feel such shame. I hate myself I feel so depressed and stuck.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amanda, I'm glad you are here! You will feel no lots of other people here who can relate to you. This is a great place to learn about and succeed st sobriety. Welcome! Sobriety is possible and your best days are ahead of you!
Old 04-30-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Find...silly auto correct
Old 04-30-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are soooo welcome here!!! Everyone here was so much like you. I am sober longer than any other time in my life largely because of SR! I start every morning checking in at the 24 hour thread. Good way to start the day telling myself who I am and reminding me that I can't drink. One day at a time! Keep posting and reading, there are a lot of wonderful people here that are more than happy to help! We all do this together.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
Amanda, I'm glad you are here! You will feel no lots of other people here who can relate to you. This is a great place to learn about and succeed st sobriety. Welcome! Sobriety is possible and your best days are ahead of you!
Thank you. I so hope I can finally start dealing with this and finding the best days
Old 04-30-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
You are soooo welcome here!!! Everyone here was so much like you. I am sober longer than any other time in my life largely because of SR! I start every morning checking in at the 24 hour thread. Good way to start the day telling myself who I am and reminding me that I can't drink. One day at a time! Keep posting and reading, there are a lot of wonderful people here that are more than happy to help! We all do this together.
Thank you I will check the 24hour thread out. Feel so tired of this battle
Old 04-30-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Amanda. Glad you are here.

Lots of us can relate to your feelings, and also have had some similar kind of family experience.

IMO - we are not weak, we are sick. As an alcoholic, I simply cannot control my drinking once I start. I've found AA to be my solution; others use different methods.

SR is a great resource- I promise you can stop drinking - you really can. I hope to see you around.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I knew more to say that could help... I'm glad you took the time to come here and write. If anything, no matter what you're feeling, take time out of each day to come here and talk to us. We're here <3
Old 04-30-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Amanda, glad you are here.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have come to the right place.
Despite the way I felt, the lack of control, the hangovers, the money spent etc. I still drank. There was something in me that refused to give up on the ideas that I could control what I was doing. It had to get bad enough for me in order to say "No More". Ive been down this road more times than I can honestly count.

The first week or two seems like a struggle, like maybe its too hard to continue. Its not though. You can get off the train and enjoy your life. You can have a different outcome than your father. Let that be the motivator. No one wants to die from alcoholism and if you are fearing this, it is best to throw in the towel and walk in a different direction.

Shame will keep you down. Feeling awful about yourself will keep you down. Empower yourself. You can stop drinking and have a life that is healthy and wholesome. You can do this.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Post often here. It's kind of like an ongoing AA meeting of encouragement and support.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Much love and understanding to you.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried and failed to stop drinking more times than I can remember, but I kept trying until I finally 'got it'. You can do this!
Old 04-30-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amanda05 View Post
I hate alcohol and I hate the day I first ever tasted it. I am 43 and I have been trying to quit the drink for the last 15 years. I go round in circles of the I will give up, I will control, I will get "normal" whatever that is. I am so full of hatred and anger for myself and the fact that I am so weak that I cannot stop the drinking. I have so much to live for and am starting to think I don't deserve any of it because I have this other shameful life with alcohol. I literally feel that I am slowly killing myself. I lost my dad 2 years ago. I watched him drink himself to death and I tried so hard to get him better and now here I am doing exactly the same thing. Why couldn't my brain see how my dad was and put me off alcohol forever. Madness that I watched my dad which was horrendous and I still put the poison in myself. Feel such shame. I hate myself I feel so depressed and stuck.
Good for you. You recognise that poisoning yourself with toxic - alcohol isn't normal. Alcohol is killing you. Practice recognising that you can't control alcohol. Be mindful that your out of control when you drink. Mindful of how being drunk makes you feel. Your right poisoning one self isn't normal. It brings nothing but self contempt, sorrow, misery. Your brain does see. Or it wouldn't be crying out for help.

You can choose to feel your feelings, think your thoughts and not pick up that first drink. The one that gets you drunk and starts the whole ugly, negative cycle all over again. It's okay to cry, to be sad, to feel pain. It's okay to be human. Its okay to be uncomfortable. It's not okay to use alcohol for temporary relief for the alcoholic. It's abusive, numbing, escaping ways are very short lived. The aftermath is like a erupting volcano. Which you are aware of.

You can stop hating yourself, feeling overwhelming shame, guilt and regrets. Choose one of two paths. We have the power to make healthy choices. We can choose the right path. The healthier and more positive one.

It helped me to spend time in therapy. I learned and believed I'm a good person. Learned I can't make others better unless they choose it for them selves. I have value. I'm important. Practice self care, self compassion. Choose love...

I'm very sorry for the loss of your Dad. ((Hug)) Losing a loved one, often leaves an empty, deep hole inside. Filled with tears, sadness, regrets and pain. Time will help. Hopefully, one day you'll be able to celebrate parts of his life. Remembering positive times you shared together.

My normal is: Honour your mind, body and spirit. Stop the madness, the self abusive cycle of poisoning self. Normal is not getting drunk. Getting drunk isn't living.

Many of us have had too many day ones to count. Take a leap of faith. Believe in yourself. You deserve this. You can do this. I believe in you. You can get your life back.

Your too beautiful and valuable to keep allowing alcohol to destroy you. If you've survived addiction, you can survive anything. Make this your last quit. The one that sticks. Protect your quit!... You'll never regret it!....
Old 04-30-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Amanda - I'm so happy you joined us. SR is a great place for friendship & encouragement. Everyone understands how you're feeling. Things are going to get so much better - you'll have a whole new life. You can do this.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. Same deal with my bro- as your dad. Also my dad (tho much longer in time) and nearly me. Why? Lots of rational answers- no fits, just is. I accept that- move on, to now. I need to plan not drinking every day with support- meetings, prof, support, working hard when not wanting to- mindful breathing, journal, exercise, HALTS, routine, every day chores, going the extra mile and posting here. I do not wish for luck or 'hope' my will power works with out help. Lots of info in the sticky's on planning, cravings- lots. Join a thread- monthly class, whiners, 24 etc.
Support to you. It works, with effort and time,
Old 04-30-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All the best to you, Amanda
Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Amanda. You are not alone here. My Dad too
Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

You are worth sobriety Amanda, be kind to yourself
Old 05-01-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi Amanda.
Similar experiences.
Going on 41. Alcohol runs in the family.
Then one day I accepted no matter how bad I wanted a drink the drink wanted me more... Its no free ride, everyday is not easy but its worth it. I see a doctor once a month and take some meds morning and evening. Do what it takes.
Vinny.