Notices

Day One Again...Onwards and Upwards

Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One Again...Onwards and Upwards

Hi all.

I actually came here to wallow in self pity that I failed myself after 10 days sober...but after reading a couple of posts (love, love, love SR) I realised feeling sorry for myself won't achieve one damn thing and I just need to 'pick myself up' and get on with things.

I drank yesterday. And the day before. Saturday was just a couple of beers in the evening, then I guess I had the 'taste' for it and back to my old ways on Sunday.

So here goes: round 2.

I almost went to an AA meeting on Friday evening (for the first time), and maybe I really should have, but I was so exhausted after a day with the little ones and just wanted to crash early before having the in-laws visit for the weekend. It's absolutely no excuse, but I wasn't ready for visitors (particularly drinkers and people that make me feel quite uncomfortable) so early on in my sobriety.

Time to get it right this time. Day one, here we go.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life as a drunk is full of "almosts". Almost going to an AA meeting, almost paying your bills on time, almost taking that dream vacation....but those almosts don't really make things easier, do they? Congrats on getting back on track - you can do this. You'll have to really DO the thing instead of ALMOST do it, but it sounds like you're ready to give it a real commitment and be done with all the baggage. Good luck! Post often and you'll get the support here you'll need!
Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I am. Thanks, bigsombrero
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It happens. My sponsor -old guy told me once he told his sponsor that he was too tired to go to a meeting one night- very tired, cold and raining. His sponsor said to him- you would have gone out in that weather half dead to get alcohol. Not your case- he does not have kids at home or il laws or life as others do- but sage advice.
Support. Keep posting.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is really good stuff! Even sober alcoholics like myself wallow in self-pity and your realization of that is very insightful.

Thanks for reaching out-SR is full of support! Take care!

-To thine own self be true
Old 04-30-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone needs to wallow sometimes, but remember that it's an action that you do, don't let it become your identity. stay strong, slips happen, but that's just research, you are learning more and more.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time2shineagain View Post
I wasn't ready for visitors (particularly drinkers and people that make me feel quite uncomfortable) so early on in my sobriety.
Sorry to learn you slipped. What's important is that you're here posting and being honest.

I've been sober over 2 months and I still haven't entertained people who drink at home. A few weeks into my sobriety a friend of my husband's, who is a heavy drinker and also makes me feel very uncomfortable asked us out to dinner with him. I declined, my husband went and he wound up drinking with him that night.

Knowing my limitations is key to my sobriety.

Glad you came back and you're still committed to your sobriety. You can do this if you put your sobriety over everything else in your life.