Notices

Almost to the 24 Hour Mark

Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost to the 24 Hour Mark

My last attempt at detoxing had me hitching a ride to the facility in just four or five hours. I have since had a different job situation, that put a blindfold over how bad I once was with booze. I now only have about two maybe three hours to drink before I need to hit the hay and drive a commercial truck around town the next day. I thought I was controlling it, because I would set daily limit's for myself.

This week brought me the first vacation I've had in my working life. I successfully shrugged off my wife's birthday, and probably had my five year old so wondering who I have been all week. I've come to the conclusion that I didn't check myself into the rehab earlier described for self improvement. I did it, in most part, so that my wife wouldn't leave me. I feel different, now. I don't want all of the things that come with that bottle anymore. I still have some beer in my mini-fridge and I haven't felt temptation a single time I grab a bottle of water.

I've been going between hot and cold since then. My nausea is better today than yesterday. I'm more willing to get up and do stuff than yesterday. Of course, in and out of the bathroom with breaks of hydrating again. My hands are shaky, but my body isn't trembling. The thing I wonder about, is that I can't sleep. I brought up going to the doctor to get checked, my wife feels like it's unneeded (I kind of feel the same way.)

I know I crammed a lot in this thread, but could any of you share some experience with dealing with the symptoms at home?

Thank you in advance
Old 03-11-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know many people mention getting hydrated and while I agree with that, I strongly believe food is important. You need nutrition. Sleep is likely to elude you tonight, but we pay a price for our drinking behavior. I don't envy you, I hope you get through this okay. Keep us posted.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I have been trying to eat some wheat crackers and grapes through the day. I tried an orange and some stew and those were very hard to swallow. Thank you for your concern!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on this site. I struggled to fall asleep when I first got sober, but as time passed my body readjusted. I have found exercise during the day, and reading at night to be helpful. I also have tried some guided meditations.

You should think about joining the March 2017 class, you will find the support of others who are the same point in recovery, and that can be very helpful. Also, think about joining us in the 24 hour thread.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the invite to Marchers. I wouldn't have came across that, most likely.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It will be rough for a few days, but it will pass. Hang in there and things will get better.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are worried- see a doc.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good luck. I'm right there with you. Made it to day 3 now. Keep an eye on your blood pressure too. I've been monitoring mine as it can spike dangerously high.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're drinking lots of water and eating something. Don't hesitate to talk to your dr if you're worried. Trouble sleeping is a very common problem in early recovery and it should work itself out in time. When you feel better, a bit of exercise can be helpful too.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

My sleep got progressively better the first week and was back into a normal pattern by about 10 days 2 weeks.

If you're concerned about that, you'll have to see the Dr I think.

If you're a driver I don't need to stress how important it is for you to stay sober - I've heard many stories of people blowing over the limit the next morning.

You'll find a lot of support and good ideas here

D
Old 03-11-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome - it's so good to have you with us, Idunno. There's encouragement here that will help see you through - from people who really understand. Those first few days are rough, but once you're through them you will begin to heal. It feels wonderful to get free of it.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad youre here. Getting past the 24 hour mark is a milestone. Lots of vitamins, niacin especially helped me. Chamomile and valerian root helped my insomnia and anxiety. Hang in there. You can do it.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Dump the booze! Good luck!
Old 03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Dump the booze! Good luck!
I agree, dump the booze!
Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My experience of withdrawal was always accompanied with a complete inability to drop off to sleep. Usually 3-4 days/nights. It was utterly miserable, twisting and turning on a sofa full of nausea. I never want to experience that again!!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Reading this makes me scared, I've been on a 4 month long drinking 5-6 nights a week bender, and my first EVER. I was never a drinker really before this, but I found comfort in it during my situation in life, and yeah its evil. Its completely evil and I have been cutting back significantly but I know I just need to put it down. As I said this scares me because the only withdrawal symptoms I've had was the insomnia when I don't drink. Its truly crazy what alcohol does, how it makes you so happy yet suppresses you at the same time. I wish you well and I hope you find strength in yourself, you'll get through it. Just stay connected to all the people in your life, stay busy, this is my plan. To get so busy that you don't even have time to drink. Again, good luck and I wish you well. I'll be going through this very soon.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

How's it going Idunnoman?

D
Old 03-12-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I LOVE grilled cheese with tomato soup to dip it in. Try that!! I also know that for me....even small meals repel the urge to drink...Plus if you are like me..you don't eat when you drink. Need to keep up on the nutrition.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do it.

I never thought I could make 24 hours yet here I am 7 days sober! I know it's a cliche but if I can do it anybody can. The shakes and nausea only lasted 2 days. Drink lots of water (plain seltzer is good too) to stay hydrated. Eat light foods the first few days. Jello, broth, yogurt, toast and ice pops are good choices. Your body will tell you when it wants, at least mine did. This place helped me do it and you will too. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sorry I haven't checked this post in a while, I was mainly trying to keep myself distracted offline. I'm still going strong, the withdrawal symptoms have gone down incredibly. At 3:30 today will be my fifth day since my last drink. My full appetite came back yesterday... it was so hard to resist eating a bunch of junk, but one of the things I keep in mind through this is that I will more easily be able to move my family out of the crappy neighborhood we live in. I've been making well over the average salary where I live for the past year, but it's still rough, financially, when you have credit cards piled up thanks to buying booze. Thank you for all your support guys! It was overwhelming to see this many replies. Great community! I hope anyone struggling like me finds it in themselves.