Notices

Admitting to abusing substances and making the change

Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Admitting to abusing substances and making the change

Hello,

This is the first time iv ever really thought of coming to a forum for support or way of interacting about abuse of substance. So a bit of history about me, where to start, guess iv been on and off abusing substances since I was about 13-14 years old, now being almost 25 I find that the abusive is getting more destructive with relationships and life in general.

Some of the incidents have been losing my license 2 times now both for high range dui and having it cancelled last time from that too. Almost losing a job and having to pay damages to the hotel rooms I was living in.

It also I feel has stopped me from being able to form proper relationships that don't surround that kind of habits seeing as most of my relations with people outside of family or childhood friends have been formed by drinking or drug use.

I am lucky in the sense I can go a couple weeks here and there without substances and have to with the job I do because we are breathalysed everyday before work and are subject to random drug test but that is for the time I'm at work which is 2 weeks straight and then I get a week off and am cashed up and have the opportunity to do and use what ever with out control which has been the problem.

I have already started seeing a psychologist to help with dealing with anxiety stress and form ways to cope with out using substances. I have also joined a gym and plan on doing yoga and some kind of social class to keep my activity up on my week off.

I guess that's it for the moment.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi pratta, welcome to the forum!
Old 03-06-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou Zen,

Should of put this in OP but any advice from anyone to help manage or cope with things is always welcome.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pratta,

I'm glad you are here and that you're looking for support. It's usual for alcoholism to worsen over time, unless you stop drinking, and that's likely what you've experienced. I think that exercise and therapy are both good tools for helping you to deal with addiction. I have found that changing my daily routine helped a lot in the early days. You said you work for 2 weeks and then have a week off which is a problem for you, so it would probably be a good idea to have a plan in place for your week off so that you were prepared.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well the way that I have been staying sober is through Rational Recovery and AVRT. Basically I separate myself from the AV or addictive voice that tells me to get drunk or high even though I know better because of all the pain and nonsense it has caused me. I believe that my addiction is caused by that voice in my head and I've learned to recognize it for the liar that it is and disassociate myself from it. If you want to know more about it check out the secular section of the forum, lots of great information there!
Old 03-06-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Pratta, the title of your thread makes a very important point. Admitting we have a problem is one giant obstacle we need to overcome. It sounds like you understand that very well. It also sounds like you are taking action, and that is what will save your life. Take action, don't just talk about it.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone, to Anna's post I have started making a plan for my week off, signed up to a yoga class today and will sign up to start learning Spanish. What I have notice if I'm not being active and social I feel the temptation quite. Its a struggle at work but the Breathalyzer in the morning keeps it at bay.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
All is Change

Hi pratta, welcome. It sounds you are in a good position to deal with your addictions and are asking good questions and taking good steps. You have your life ahead of you. Lots of things to do and intoxicants are not your friend inachieving them.

When you have time check out Dhamma Padina in Brookton. ( dhamma.org and Vipassana * ) They teach courses in meditation, 10 day for new students, 3, 2 and 1 day for old students. The courses are free and all inclusive live in. A good way to spend a break.

Also you can check out the topic Dhamma here on SR that gives some basic pointers to start the meditation to see if this something that might be helpful for you.

* click on link
Old 03-06-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Pratta!!
Old 03-06-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Pratta, I am fairly new here too and have just restarted my recovery. It sounds as though you are already planning lots to keep you occupied during the times which you'd normally drink which is excellent. I like the idea of yoga and spanish! Good luck to you
Old 03-07-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks Grymt, pity I only ever get 1 week off, but may look in to taking the time off in july to go to the one then.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
All is Change

That is good, pratta. Please keep posting and reading on the forum. Good people and advice for refuge from the drink.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome pratta!!
Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pratta

I found this place a great support. Whatever time you can get to post here and join the community could really help.

D
Old 03-11-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

so as i get closer to my week off now I feel the temptation to just go out and drink and take what ever I can growing, definitely going to find the next week hard but have tried to make plans that don't involve being around the temptation. Almost everyday in the coming week I am busy either with meeting up with family and friends or doing new activities like yoga and gym.
We will see once Wednesday arrives.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stay sober pratta! We don't need no stinking hangovers!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ever thought of AA pratta - might be a good thing to do in the week off?

D
Old 03-11-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
All is Change

Put yourself in situations where drinking is out of the question. Because you have committed yourself to sobriety you need to make use of the urges to drink by not drinking. Every time you feel like drinking but don't and instead choose to just accept that that feeling is there in the moment while you go ahead and not drink you become stronger in your sobriety. The old pattern starts to change.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Made it through my first week OK had a few times where I was tempted to get high or drunk but I stayed sober. Main things that triggered the feelings was when people would bail on plans.

Have had my length of time at home extended by a week but feel I will cope better this week.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you made it though sober! It sounds like you identified your triggers. It helps to think about what you will do if you are triggered ahead of time so you can visualize how you will respond.