Notices

1 year sober - how to celebrate??!?

Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 1 year sober - how to celebrate??!?

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post?
But my one year anniversary is coming up - February 27 - and I never thought this would happen!!! And I really want to celebrate it somehow. But....how? What do other people do to celebrate their soberversaries, especially the 1st year? Anything in particular?
Is there another place to post this, or other posts made on this already that I could take a look at? Any ideas or info would be much appreciated!!

btw, I am not in AA, and not many friends know. So, even though I want to celebrate in a big way, it also wouldn't be big as in the amount of people. It's still important and special though!

And of course, perhaps there are ways to celebrate in a personal way, too. Like starting a new goal, or doing something for myself. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm pretty sure someone will come along with some good ideas. Myself, I don't celebrate milestones. I don't see a reason to "celebrate" living my life like I should have been doing all along.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sober year!

Maybe you could do something or buy something special for yourself? I don't really celebrate the milestones either, but maybe you could go out for a nice dinner.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Super well done on almost a year!

I didn't really celebrate but I reflected a lot on it and wrote an EXTRA long post here about the changes I'd seen in myself over the year, what I'd learned and what it meant to me.

(And lots of wonderful people here on SR were kind enough to read my epic post and respond.)

I wrote a personal mission statement and set myself 3 new goals for the year, including running a marathon. It's a great time to think about how to build on the next 12 months!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

how to celebrate?

demonstrate your gratitude by being of service to others

great job on 1 year

Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

Congratulations, Layali

For me personally, I think a little celebration is a wonderful idea! It is okay to be proud of ourselves and to mark a milestone.

Treat yourself to something special, go out for dinner with a dear friend, go somewhere you have always wanted to go to but haven't yet gone.

And cake, have a piece of cake (okay, that's just me wanting some cake )

Seriously, well done!!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think celebration is a good thing! You've worked hard and you deserve to be proud.

What about a special treat for yourself that you wouldn't normally do. A spa day? A new purse? Hair and nails? New outfit?
Old 02-16-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!

I'd be celebrating too - it's a real achievement.

What about a spa pamper day with a couple of friends? Or a trip to the cinema?

ETA Snap, Bunny!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, in reading this thread I guess there are a lot of people that don't really celebrate their sober anniversary. I suppose you should do whatever feels right for you, but I celebrated my one year anniversary a few months ago and I recommend that you do the same. From my perspective, this is an important milestone and a fantastic accomplishment; it should rightfully be celebrated as such.

Like you, only a few people knew, but for my anniversary, I took the day off of work, got a massage, spent a lot of time reflecting and writing about my journey, and went out to dinner with my SO and had a great talk with her about what both of us had gone through. It was a really great day for me and one I will cherish forever.

This is a bit off topic, but I would also recommend that you prepare yourself for year 2. I'm probably an outlier, but in some ways this year has been more difficult. I was assisted a lot in year 1 because everything was a "this is my first sober _____," but that goes away in year 2. I also really shielded myself from high stress situations for the first year and have had to deal with those situations more in year 2. So, I do recommend that you spend a bit of time preparing yourself for year 2.

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary! I recommend that you celebrate it!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think celebrating is a lovely idea too. If it were me, I'd go to a day spa for a massage and facial and go out for dinner with a friend.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1 Year is fantastic Layali!!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Jewelry, definitely jewelry.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One year is awesome!!!!! Do what makes you feel good!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Huge congrats on your year layali

I don't really celebrate milestones but maybe some meaningful way to mark the year - a piece of jewelry or something?

D
Old 02-16-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Somebody already mentioned, do something for others.

It's really a good way to demonstrate to yourself that you really have changed.

Most people caught up in an addiction are pretty self centered. Doing something positive for someone less fortunate then you feels really good. If you don't have time to volunteer somewhere, make a donation. Take the money you would have blown in one night at the bar in your past life, and donate it to a homeless shelter. You will feel great the next morning!
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Layali! That's awesome!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on a year, Layali!
I used to celebrate months with pedicures. I celebrate bigger milestones (like 6 months, a year, 2 years) with dinner out with my best friend. I love the idea of doing a day spa, maybe with a friend.

And yes - spend some time reflecting on how far you've come, the changes you've made, how much better you feel about yourself. Share that with someone close to you who knows what you're going through. I did that, and it was really nice. Then think about some goals for year 2. Write it all down. I didn't really do that, but I wish I had.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Treat yourself to something fun. New clothes or a movie or lunch date with a good friend. Congrats on your upcoming sober year!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I'm pretty sure someone will come along with some good ideas. Myself, I don't celebrate milestones. I don't see a reason to "celebrate" living my life like I should have been doing all along.
Well, it is an accomplishment and everyone should celebrate achieving their goals, especially one this difficult.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Layali!

I'm trying to think of what I will do to celebrate in August.. I'm halfway there..