Notices

A month sober today!

Old 02-07-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A month is pretty damn impressive. I'm brand new to all this and am not sure if I can last a week.

When I think about all the situations I'm going to be in, in just the next 7 days I wonder how I am going to stand a chance??? I've never tried to quit drinking before but I really feel like now is the time. My doctor is vehemently insisting I stop drinking, which surprised me when I think about how much I lie terribly to him about the amount that I consume. I honestly feel like I am not more than one drinking session away from seriously hurting myself or getting arrested, and that scares me. I'm also sick and tired of being sick and tired, and having to wake up with a hangover and "the fear" over and over again.

It's amazing to me that you've made it this far. Keep fighting the good fight, hopefully you can stick with it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pete6256 View Post
A month is pretty damn impressive. I'm brand new to all this and am not sure if I can last a week.

When I think about all the situations I'm going to be in, in just the next 7 days I wonder how I am going to stand a chance??? I've never tried to quit drinking before but I really feel like now is the time. My doctor is vehemently insisting I stop drinking, which surprised me when I think about how much I lie terribly to him about the amount that I consume. I honestly feel like I am not more than one drinking session away from seriously hurting myself or getting arrested, and that scares me. I'm also sick and tired of being sick and tired, and having to wake up with a hangover and "the fear" over and over again.

It's amazing to me that you've made it this far. Keep fighting the good fight, hopefully you can stick with it.
What one man can do, so can another. People say we're weak, quite the opposite, you have to be a tough son of gun to drink the amount we do/did. Use that strength to not drink, you'll surprise yourself.

Its a fear of who you'll be without the alcohol, you've built an identity around it. Trust me when i say that the fear is all in your mind.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month! I'm going to copy/paste what I posted earlier:

It is normal to have some issues with sleep from what I've read and experienced. I try to drink some relaxing tea/drink milk before bed. Sleepytime tea works for me. I also take sleeping pills (but this is mostly because of neighbors that are excessively loud and sleep aids are not at all recommended).

Also, try to keep to a regular schedule/go to bed at the same time every night/if possible. And avoid watching tv/looking a cell phone immediately before bed. They say it makes it harder to sleep. Avoiding coffee makes sense too. At least several hrs before bedtime. I couldn't give up coffee myself though!!!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a motnth reformation - being tired was definitely part of my experience for a while.

Pete, if upcoming events have you worried, is it ok not to go?.
Put recovery first.

D