Notices

A month sober today!

Old 02-07-2017, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A month sober today!

Hows it going folks? I've tried a number of times to quit and failed, but ive been exactly 1 month sober today and ive quit smoking a week ago.

But damn... im SO SO tired all the time, i wake up and i just cant function. Is this normal?! I was get for the first few weeks, lots of energy and i felt like anything was possible. But the last week or so ive just been dead tired.

Anyone been through this and can offer some advice please, im also avoiding coffee as well!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

As usual it's a good idea to check with a doctor.

When I've been low like that it has been depression and diet. I found adjusting to a diet without booze difficult. fats, butter would guarantee a nodoff within a short time for example. Fresh vegies made a difference.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have been 4 weeks sober and I feel the same way. So tired and wake up very early.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month.. that's huge!

I felt tired for several months after I got sober.. took awhile for my sleep to normalize. I think it was my brain and body healing. And coffee.. I find it essential.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys, i appreciate it. I'll just accept that its temporary and deal with it. might allow myself a coffee here and there for a few months then.

Also good call on the diet, im trying to eat properly. But lets just say, some days are better than others.

Im also having quite horrific nightmares, is this normal? I assume its just my brain being alert and not knowing what to do with it.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!.. keep up the good work!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had bouts of extreme tiredness 3 weeks in. I just had to put my head down in the middle of the day at times, and then I would sleep like the dead for hours.

It got better about 2 months in, if I recall.

I look back on that time and realise just how much was going on, not just was I having to deal with my every day life on different terms but there were a lot of new emotions, new ways of experiencing things etc.

Go easy on yourself. If you can find the time to take a rest when you're tired or go to bed earlier, then do so. One month is excellent and you should be proud of yourself!
Old 02-07-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I had that tiedness on and off for the first year or so. Some mornings I just couldn't get out of bed. I always came right about ten oclock, and then had a day feeling guilty about not turning up for work. Eventually I learnt.

I read one of your earlier posts in which a statement about not going to AA was made. The meaning wasn't clear, as in not going yet, or not intending to go. That was made in May 2014. Did anything happen about the AA thing.

Your post reminded me of my first thirty days. I actually didnt know I had passed thirty days until my sponsor told me I had made 90.
Those first thirty days had some big things going on. I was muddling on with the first part of the program. I was on sick leave so I spent most days up at the AA rooms where I joined others going out on 12 step calls. I was making a bunch of new friends which was a new experience to me, and people were inviting me to their houses. I looked like the wild man of Borneo, so it was quite something to be invited anywhere.

I read the big book, lent to me by the lady in charge of the rooms. When she asked me what I thought of it, I said I thought it was a bit American, and they should write one in New Zealand language. Ha. I missed the whole point.

The major thing was that I found a sponsor, I think in the first week. I was getting in the habit of calling him every day, and he helped me enormously in the reasoning and thinking department. I was a barely functioning human being and could get screwed up over the most trivial things. He would unravel all that for me, and showed me how to clean up my (sober) mistakes, of which there were many, so they didn't bite me in the a$$.

Yup there was quite a bit going on, and much more to come in month two.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah i didnt go to AA and i still havent if im honest. It doesnt really feel like its for me.

Im just focusing on not drinking at the moment. I've never been a morning drinker and i haven't drunk during the day much, but i was a heavy drinker and it was starting to tighten its grip on me.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats - two days to go for me!

I get very tired too on some days - a bit less often this last few days. Luckily my time is my own and a sober nap in the afternoon is a discovery of a new pleasure!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reformation View Post
Hows it going folks? I've tried a number of times to quit and failed, but ive been exactly 1 month sober today and ive quit smoking a week ago.

But damn... im SO SO tired all the time, i wake up and i just cant function. Is this normal?! I was get for the first few weeks, lots of energy and i felt like anything was possible. But the last week or so ive just been dead tired.

Anyone been through this and can offer some advice please, im also avoiding coffee as well!
Great job on 1 month thats fantastic

As far as low energy well yes a dr visit would be advised just to get a general check up Also if you can then get a juicer and juice veg and fruit daily, works WONDERS for energy!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done on 1 month
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep on keeping on! Great job on one month!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, i'm super pleased with my self
Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on one month Reformation!

My sleep cycle did not straighten out for about six weeks after I quit. I would wake up after three or four hours of sleep each night with my brain racing and ready to get on with the day. But I would be exhausted by the end of the day because I was not sleeping much.

I used to drink myself to sleep every night, so the brain adjusts for it. Your body and mind will eventually adapt to sobriety, it will just take a bit of time. Like everything else in sobriety, things will get better with more sober time under your belt.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on one month sober!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
Congrats on one month Reformation!

My sleep cycle did not straighten out for about six weeks after I quit. I would wake up after three or four hours of sleep each night with my brain racing and ready to get on with the day. But I would be exhausted by the end of the day because I was not sleeping much.

I used to drink myself to sleep every night, so the brain adjusts for it. Your body and mind will eventually adapt to sobriety, it will just take a bit of time. Like everything else in sobriety, things will get better with more sober time under your belt.
Yes this was me as a drinker, id get wasted every night and pass out about 11 or 12, then wake up and stagger to work. Now that ive quit its all a bit different! I started well and had the energy of Thor, now i have the energy of PeeWee Herman...

I couldnt get out of bed this morning and ive been having horrific nightmares. Although Nicotine patches might be at least partly responsible for that. Whatever, its better than drinking and the paranoia, fear, shame, anger and horribleness that brings with it.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month. That's really huge. I was really tired in the beginning when I first quit. I didn't push myself to do anything but what needed to be done. Avoiding caffeine is a good idea because I also found that the jitters from too much caffeine (and nicotine - I just re-read your post) mimicked the feeling of anxiety I experienced when I really wanted a drink.

Keep going.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Stay focused on the positive; one month sober is HUGE! Congratulations! Good luck on having TWO!