Notices

Fell off the Wagon Again -- Question re Withdrawal

Old 02-07-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fell off the Wagon Again -- Question re Withdrawal

So I had successfully detoxes (medical), and within 3 weeks had a drink while traveling for business. Then I was sober for another couple of weeks, and then for the past week or so, I have been drinking every day. Not nearly as much as I used to (and not in the mornings) but some of the hallmarks of prior drinking have returned. The waking up with racing thoughts and anxiety. Some light sweating (but I think that is anxiety related).

I am determined not to go back, and I simply cannot drink anymore. I am, however, worried about having withdrawals. Last drink I had was last night about 8 pm. So about 14 hours ago. All I have had is some anxiety and nausea (which I think is anxiety-related). But I am hoping it does not get worse.

Anybody have experience with drinking again, quitting, and NOT having physical withdrawals? And yes, I am going to go to an AA meeting this evening.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For me it was all dependent on how much I had been drinking. Bottom line, if you want to be sober you have to stop. Withdrawals or no. If you find your symptoms worsening you seek medical help.

Hang in there and good luck.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. And you are absolutely right. The good thing is I have been working out pretty regularly for the past month or so. I am going to get a vigorous workout in today, and hopefully get a decent night's sleep.

That is what makes me mad at myself. I was feeling really well, which I think, lulled me into thinking I could handle drinking again. Stupid mistake.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
2/2016

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post

I am determined not to go back, and I simply cannot drink anymore. .
Well you are drinking. You refuse to accept you cannot moderate IMHO. I wish you well. Hook Em
Old 02-07-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had moderate withdrawal symptoms from drinking 1.5 to 2 bottles of wine a night. Felt crap and antsy, didn't sleep on night one more than an hour or two but I didn't get medical help - or felt I needed it. Lasted for 3 to 4 days and then a steady improvement (and other stuff to deal with of course) for days afterwards. if in doubt seek medical advice of course!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I quit this last time I didn't really have too many withdrawal symptoms. I had relapsed after 10.5 months of sobriety following inpatient rehab. upon relapsing, I was drinking as much as before I went into rehab but I was very tired of feeling like crap. Did you have anxiety before you started drinking? It's kind of a chicken and egg situation. Which came first? My anxiety went away the longer I was sober.

That was over 3 years ago. You can quit. Keep coming back.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

Anybody have experience with drinking again, quitting, and NOT having physical withdrawals? And yes, I am going to go to an AA meeting this evening.

i never had any kind of physical withdrawals when i stopped drinking

of course drinking was never my real problem

the drinking was the symptom of the real problem which is me

and awesome job on choosing to go to aa

Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's really no way of predicting what might happen really. I detoxed/quit on my own a few times and didn't experience much more than just general hangover symptoms, and then all of a sudden one time I ended up in the ER with dangerously high blood pressure, racing heart, palpitations, you name it.

Not suggesting you will end up with the same fate but if you have required a medical detox in the past you may want to at least consult with your doctor again this time around to be safe.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone can predict it Horn. The safest way is always to get checked out by your DR.

Next time you feel like a drink, maybe remember this intense concern you have about withdrawal?

Is drinking really worth all this?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Horn95, that's a really good question. Times I have quit drinking and then started up again briefly and then decided to stop, I have always worried about withdrawal issues.

When I've been at my worst I couldn't go without a drink any later than 4 pm without getting tightness in my chest, shaky hands, you get the idea.

If you have any anxieties that you may go through withdrawal after stopping, consult with your doctor. Alcohol withdrawal is no joke. Before I stopped drinking, I was so bad that I started drinking on the job, something I never thought I would allow to happen. I work from home, so it was fairly easy to get away with. But I knew I would lose my job if I didn't stop. Why did I do it? Not to get a buzz, but to stay alive. I was going through withdrawal and was having trouble breathing (tightness in chest), extreme nervous/shaky, etc.