Notices

4 years sober then 1 year drinking :-(

Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA member

I remember you as well Michael,welcome back.

I have left SR since then and returned with a different username.

Have you a plan in place?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't think it's at all unusual, Michael. I quit for five years, thought I could have one glass of wine with my birthday dinner, and fell back into heavy drinking for another three years. I wasn't fully committed the first time. Even though I was sober, I couldn't imagine getting through the rest of my life without another drink. It seemed completely unrealistic! Now I 100% can (on my 8th day today) - and I'm very, very happy about it.

Welcome back - looking forward to reading your posts
Old 01-07-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by 48heath View Post
I remember you as well Michael,welcome back.

I have left SR since then and returned with a different username.

Have you a plan in place?
The short term plan is to urge surf, treat myself in other ways (pretty much eat what I want for the first month), come here at least daily, and protect the quiet time I used to have to start each day (in prayer or meditation).

I think two significant things happened last year. First I stopped protecting my early morning quiet time. I thought it more 'useful' to do more work. But it meant I eventually needed to look for chemical relaxation after the end of a long day. The second is that I stopped coming here towards the end of 2015 (the and a half years being sober here), which I think allowed me to start kidding myself that alcohol addiction is a passing phase that we can get past. Yes, incredibly dumb! This time around I will protect those two things which, in hindsight, seem much more important than I realised at the time.

Last time I gave up I was miserable for three months. I'm prepared to go through that again. Maybe it will be better or shorter this time around, but I'd rather be pessimistic and be prepared for a long slog if needed.

The warmth and encouragement here means so much to me. It would be so much harder without it. And this time I'll stick around :-)
Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Michael welcome back!!!!!! So very good to see you!!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Michael

D
Old 01-07-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi, Michael! I remember you too!

And I've enjoyed your posts as Emjay!

Welcome back!
Old 01-07-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to see you back with us, Michael - but I'm sorry for your misery.

I did it too. I was sober 3 yrs. & decided I could have some wine. Gone for 7 yrs. It was so hard to get back on track - but at least we knew our 'experiment' failed. I know now I can't touch a drop.

Congrats on your sober time, Michael.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Michael,
I drank again after being a nondrinker for 10 years. I very quickly escalated back to drinking daily and blacking out and I did that for a full seven years; the last 2 years I added benzos to the already firmly rooted crazy I was in and came completely undone. Complete drug/alcohol induced psychotic break.

I'm coming up on 10 years as a non-drinker. The difference this time is that there is absolutely no question in my mind as to whether drinking will ever be an option. That field research has been thoroughly completed.

Glad you're back.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Michael,

Glad that you were able to find your way back.

Like you, I had some sober time under my belt until about a year ago. Not nearly as much sober time as you, but still enough to feel pretty good about. Then I had 'a' beer...just one because I was on spring vacation...and that brought on 9.5 months of the worst alcoholic purgatory anyone could imagine. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I say we make that our last go-round

ABW1
Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
I still find this early stage horrible.
I think that is what is holding me back from sobriety. Knowing drinking will keep the withdrawals at bay. Kind of silly though, so many other negatives brought on from drinking. Your post gives me hope.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

michael welcome back

as aas mentioned, some dont make it back!

and i always like to say, we dont shoot our wounded
Old 01-08-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hope it's going well today, Michael.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I never made it to four years, but did get about 15 months under my belt. I then drank sporadically for the year. I still believe that sobriety is the best path to take, but getting those 15 months under my belt was life changing despite my later slips. The lessons I took away from it will stay with me for a long time. If you've done four years, you must be full of wisdom. You understand the theory, but more importantly you know how, and that you *can* put it all into practice.

Nobody is perfect. I wish that I had a longer streak, but I'm still proud of what I have done. You should be too. So don't dwell on it & just get back into it!