Notices

THE 1ST SOBER WEEKENDER OF 2017 - 6 to 9 Jan

Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Thanks ST appreciate the advice - my role has been mainly operational for sometime now but the area we have gained our success with over the last 15 years has taken a substantial downturn in recent times, we've been left to our own devices somewhat as we were keeping our heads well and truly above water and making some pretty decent money - all of a sudden being pushed to cold call and take on much more of an active sales role - previously any sales was more orientated around existing clients and entertainment - something that in hindsight wasn't exactly the best thing for me and led me down the path of getting deeper into problems with drugs and alcohol - actual sales and gaining new business is something I've never had the greatest success with in all honesty and therefore constantly doubt myself - just severely lacking confidence in my ability alltho the problem being that my heart hasn't been in it for sometime and I've become quite distracted / pushed myself into a corner and now not sure the best way to sort / if I really am upto it !! - I need to reignite the spark and quickly as otherwise I could soon find myself looking for work and the thing is I get to this point and convince myself I can't do anything, my portfolio of clients has dwindled to very few - it's time to roll my sleeves up and give myself a kick up the backside and tell myself I can do this and believe in myself just very nervous and worried about the whole thing - since I quit everything I've developed issues with anxiety that I never had previously and once things start getting on top it doesn't take long for me to be really worked up and in a blind panic.
I can empathise with you - I have a career in PR, a profession where it is downright expected that you drink regularly! Clients want to catch up over a drink; you're asked to organise events and launch functions (where inevitably there is booze); you're invited to events and launch functions. A whole load of danger zones that I'm going to have to get better at dealing with this year!

Going to start by not accepting another drink/wine client......I looked after one for almost three years, with the contract ending just before Christmas. Not a good idea! Needless to say, a lot of the media samples didn't end up in the hands of media! LOL

Like you, I despise cold calling - though I've enjoyed a lot of success with cold emails, followed by a warm phone call. Way more comfortable. Is that an option for you?

Also, I think that being miserable in a job can be one of the most soul destroying, depressing, and triggering times of your life. I've been there. Before my current position, I would be in tears every morning. It was a physical effort to walk through the doors of my last place. If you're really not enjoying the work, getting sober could be the perfect time to have a heart to heart with yourself, have a think about what you'd like to do, and work towards that instead?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Thanks Sao appreciate the input and advice.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One of the decisive moments regarding job satisfaction occurs for me when I walk through the door to return to work after a vacation. How I feel right then says a lot about my work attitude. Anyway, I'm off for four more weeks so I'll worry about that later!

I went to the morning AA meeting . The topic was "The Glory Days." Anyone ever reminisce about the "Glory Days" while drunk? Most of us are glad to be over that. Why, then, in recovery do we repeat the same stories over and over and view it as helpful? One thing I pointed out was that when we were drunk, we would have liked to go back to the "Glory Days." In recovery, we look at how we have changed since then.

The actual train I will be taking from Seattle to Minnesota leaves Chicago today (Saturday). It is scheduled to arrive in Seattle Monday, get serviced and turned around, and then I am scheduled to depart on it at 4:40 PM. But if the train from Chicago gets delayed crossing the northern snowbound tier of the country, Amtrak will service and turn it in Spokane, and bus everyone the 5 1/2 hours between Spokane and Seattle. So I am going to be watching on Amtrak's "Track-a-Train" map page to see if my train will depart on time or if I will have to take a bus ride.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Cheers BB - appreciate you takin the time with that advice, will give it a go where possible with emails, no harm in trying any route as long as I manage to win the business.

Not really in a position to make any changes and not sure the grass would be any greener elsewhere - just need to ensure I step up to it and get my head into it.

I've managed to swerve any entertaining for the last 14 months since I stopped and avoid any get togethers / parties / pubs / restaurants etc - just don't feel at all comfortable and the barriers have gone up massively to putting myself back out there at all - just don't want to be around people off their heads on drink and drugs as I see it as a slippery slope that I might not deal with very well at all - I don't play with fire I don't get burned kind of thing.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Things are going great. I'll watch the Seahawks at home in a couple hours. Tomorrow I have my dad's birthday party. That should be enough to keep me out of trouble for the weekend!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

The train I'll be boarding Monday has departed Chicago on-time! Now if it doesn't encounter any difficulties over the next 2,205 miles, maybe my trip Monday will start on-time too!
Old 01-07-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to the Weekenders thread BrickbyBrick, good to have you on board

Sounds great Outonthetiles Happy Birthday to your dad
Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It'll be Sunday in a few minutes here so i'm off to bed.

I hope all of you are OK this evening, post if you are struggling
Old 01-07-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by petals View Post
Just enjoyed a really lovely pork strogonoff ready meal.... then read the ingredients: (
I am really hoping that the alcohol has been cooked out of the white wine and brandy. Never eaten strogonoff before I just thought it would be like stew. Never occurred to me. How stupid do I feel!
Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Petals - most of it will be burned off during the cooking process. Plus with it being a ready meal and supermarkets being stingy, I'd imagine there's only the smallest essence of booze in there anyway. I wouldn't worry about it
I don't want to alarm you Petals - whats done is done - but quite a lot of the alcohol is retained

Like I said I'm not trying to alarm you or make you think you did something wrong petals..and not trying to pick an argument with you BBB

some people don't worry - but I think it's really important to consider things like this?

D
Old 01-07-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

OK, I need a bigger chart lol

D
Old 01-07-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hey, weekenders. Hope you are all doing well and have (or, had) a nice sober evening. I am settled in after a good workout at gym and big dinner with a friend. Some Ben & Jerrys on deck. Sober Saturday night here and it feels good. (Pink cloud anchored firmly to my recliner).

Oh, I must be becoming a metro-man. Ordered a diffuser on Amazon. A woman friend of mine swears by it for sleep and relaxation. Whatever!!! Spent more in an hour in a bar than what it cost.

Be well everyone and welcome those joining. Great support here.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Triggers abound!

Y'all probably know from a few of my other posts that I love, love, love my family (wife and kids)...but that doesn't mean they can't irritate the heck out of you sometimes. Foul moods, whining, you name it, from all ages today. Wife is imbibing...she is a normie and I'm cool with her doing her thing. I've been productive today - laundry, dishes, the works.

In several more hours I'll officially be a week sober!

Hanging in there.

ABW1
Old 01-07-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Congratulations, ABW1!

They say, "Alcohol is cunning, baffling, and powerful." I also say that it is ubiquitous!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
The train I'll be boarding Monday has departed Chicago on-time! Now if it doesn't encounter any difficulties over the next 2,205 miles, maybe my trip Monday will start on-time too!
Hope you have a fantastic trip, CF!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling better, Dee!
Old 01-07-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

I got a full nights sleep last night so things are looking up Ven

D
Old 01-07-2017, 10:59 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hi all, back to work tomorrow after Xmas. I'm looking forward to the routine.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Trees, I think it's bad luck to wish someone "Happy Birthday" before the day. I hope it's safe now for me to say "Happy Birthday!"
Old 01-08-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone.

Congratulations on 7 days ABetterWay!

Enjoy your Diffuser Circlewagons, I use T-Lights so I guess that makes me a metro man too

For those who quit round about New Year time it won't be long before you notice how much less money you are spending, especially if you did a share of your drinking in bars, pubs and clubs etc. Drunkeness is an expensive hobby
Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Dee - thanks for the clarification. I had been living my life under the impression all the booze is burned off during cooking. Everydays a schoolday huh?! Still, with it being a ready meal i cant imagine there was much alcohol in there, but for sure its something i will check going forward.