Notices

I went back to drinking with stomach ulcers

Old 01-12-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went back to drinking with stomach ulcers

Over Christmas I broke up with my boyfriend of 2 years. It was mutual but he had become bossy and controlling. This week Ive been to two Aa meetings plus dinners with friends. Problem is I am still drinking though I have cut down. Aa is not a magical cure. Any suggestions on how to get through this would be great. My doctor said I can never drink again but I still keep testing fate atm.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No AA is not a magical cure. It is a program of action. I know that's hard, its been a challenge for me. But I know if won't 'work' if I don't 'do' what is suggested. Period. And that starts with not drinking.

Medical detox. Talk with your dr. I have seen some horrendous stuff in others who drank when they had stomach and esophageal issues. Horrendous.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post

My doctor said I can never drink again but I still keep testing fate atm.
Have you read the AA Big Book?
It does explain our condition and how to over come.
M-Bob
Old 01-12-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Maybe Aa seems a bit too challenging. I got 12 phone nos and know Im meant to ring before I pick up. I went to a meeting and drank an hour later so felt unable to call. Im on valium to take so I wont drink. I dont really believe in God so thats a big problem for me.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Please take your doctor's advice. I've had 2 near fatal bleeding ulcers, received 5 transfusions both times, and spent 5 days in intensive care with the last one (the ulcer was on an artery). I had no bp when I stood up and fell twice; the first fall was on my back and I cracked open my head (concussion) and broke a rib in my back. When I got up again, I fell flat on my face and knocked out and broke all my front teeth and broke my nose. Not fun.

While I did eventually start drinking again, I know it's not good for my tummy so one more reason to stay off the stuff.

You'll get tons of support here, but you just have to NOT drink to heal. Take care and keep posting.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ulcers can be fatal
I'm back to day 1 we can support each other?
Old 01-12-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

There is no program, pill, potion, or anything that's a "magical" fix to getting sober. The ability to succeed all has to do with your desire to want to be sober. Until you find that desire nothing will work. Without that desire you will find problems with anything you try.

AA may be challenging (nothing worthwhile in life isn't) but isn't the outcome of what you'll be dealing with continuing to drink with stomach ulcers far more challenging?

Have you tried looking at the secular connections area of the board? You might find a program there that speaks to you.

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

sweetichick, sobriety is not easy at first. There's so much more out there and life is far better without alcohol. But, you have to want it.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
Ulcers can be fatal
I'm back to day 1 we can support each other?
This is an awesome idea sweetichick!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thats a pretty scary story Optimist and Im happy to support you Pinky. Tomorrow Ive made a resolve to not pick up however hard it is. Thanks for all the replies. They really helped.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all.. bleeding ulcer... kids it makes me so sad and sick.. I am sorry Admin .. have to tell this story.. you can delete if you if its to much..

Oct 1996 we had been in Florida for a new life and Ed had a new job 8 weeks.. just paid the rent that sat. and went shopping for food and a grill..
great day .. sunny Ed had off for the first time in 8 weeks. and we swam and laughed and just beautiful..
8pm set up the grill to do some steaks and baked potato.. we had cokes with lemon.. Ed got funny sick.. at 10pm he threw up the first time.. dark. very dark... we thought he had had to much coke cola.... rested.. we did not do the steaks.. I took the potato's out of the oven.. I ate.. he rested... 12 midnight .. he ran for the bathroom threw up again.. this time he had a strange look on his face.. color was good higher pink then his usual but not dizzy or off balance.. this time I reached in to the waters.. my hand ran red with the blood.. my medical training kicked in hard.. got him with a big towel he was starting to shake a bit.. it now was 1am colder out.. shut the apart ment up tight.. grabbed my bag and note book .. of 4 years..
only hospital I knew of was the Tallahasse Community hospital.. what a mess of a miss placed part of health care and that was 1996... kid behind the intake emergency desk.. was Gomer Pyle grandson.. a dummy.. I scared him royally.. we had no connections except Eds work at the time.. Ed threw up blood 4 feet long and a splatter of 2 feet wide.. I got him in a chair and kicked down the locked ER doors.. got a table for him and was helping him up on it .. and 2 big men came running at us.. he threw up on them.. kids he was bleeding to death . with the broken artery in his ulcer tummy... one man was covered with Ed's blood.. I grabbed him and swore in Marine First Class. style.. that man dies down here and there is not enough room in all of the South for this Old Lady of Wisconsin to be unhappy.. RN 2 LPN's and a Doc came running at us.. blood every where.. I helped clean up a bunch as ER was getting a ton of people from the street fast... I got into Ed. lady had him sitting up.. he was shaking so much .. she was tryin gto put an IV in his arm.. blood up the wall to the ceiling I wraped the towel from home around him and prayed God please not here Please not here.. helped her and got him to lay down.. they did the xray and he threw up again.. they had to start wholl blood on him.. my heart almost stopped.. RN that was to help with the surgery to stop the bleeding in tummy ... got pushy.... Ed was in a type of twilight sleep. had no idea what was happening. she shouted he sat up and punched out her lights.. Doc looked at me and stopped.. Son I said you gotta do this.. I will do the vitals. and he will not die not on our watch tonight... I had a computer camera screen up over my right shoulder.. had Ed on his left side. talking to him solid. you listen up dummy and listen tight .. lay still do not move.. breath with me.. everything kept beeping on clu... doc are you ok .. Son just keep doing that job.. 1 hour later In recovery... ed was a wake for a bit ... knew me.. and the beeping kept up solid for 3 days in instensive care. . I was molding with his blood on me.. never left his side.. cried in the private shower they had with all my clothes on.... he would have died if I had not been there.. if we had been drinking we would have never known or realized what was happening to him... he would have died in the night.... I did special training about 3 years later with the Tallahassee Police Department.. they were doing a photo view of problems.. what do you think happened that this person died like this... then they hit a photo of a man.. that had been found 3 days after death.. the minute I saw the photo I knew what happened.. and walked up to the screen very slowly.. did a tale of what problably happened. Sgt Fair came up wrapped his arms around me and said.. how do you know this... newby... my hubby would have had this death happen to him if I had not gotten him to the hospital ....

if you are having problems with ulcers and they are bleeding.. kids there is nothing that your body is going to tell you .. because you are turning off the brain that would warn you and stop you .. You are killing yourself with drink and pills and weed very slowly and then one day your body just will not care any longer and the tummy will be a balloon that fills up and then expels the fluid. until there is none left................... I am sorry .. love you all so much.. please please don't let this happen to you ... please.. I need a tissue. and to tell my hubby I love him so much......
Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"I dont really believe in God"

Consider, then, appealing to the Life Force that flows through every living thing and that WANTS US TO LIVE.

We are designed, driven, to seek Life.

That's how we all get here.

"God" can be a concept that some reject for whatever reason.

But the existence of the Life Force cannot be denied.
It flows through every living thing, whether animal or plant.

(consider the seed, growing from under a rock, that somehow
manages to push its plant-head out to the sun!)

Seek to get in contact with That. Remember how you used to feel it flowing through your veins when young and took it for granted (as did we all).

It's still there. Honor it!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

No matter what method you use, you have to commit to not drinking sweetichick - we need to do the work - noone can be there 24/7 to bat the drink out of our hands.

why not call one of those 12 numbers you have and get some advice?

ps they want you to call, especially if you're in trouble, or they wouldn't have given you their number

D
Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Ardy for sharing that story. It was a real eye opener and I definitely dont want to die like that. Colombus Ill try to find a higher power. I do believe in mother nature so thats a good start.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Mother Nature is my goddess. She is powerful, indomitable, resilient, loving & beautiful. She speaks in wind & rain & starshine. She is always present. She regenerates. She is everything that I need. Even my body is a cell in her being...
Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick
Aa is not a magical cure. Any suggestions on how to get through this would be great. My doctor said I can never drink again...

I dont really believe in God so thats a big problem for me... Ill try to find a higher power. I do believe in mother nature so thats a good start.
I don't believe in placing amorphous "Higher Powers" as obstacles to recovery from addiction, and it doesn't sound like you can afford to waste time trying to solve religious riddles that you have never considered before. You may die before solving them if you keep on drinking.

There are other secular approaches, but I would encourage you to look into AVRT from Rational Recovery, which will get right to the most critical problem you presently have, without wasting time on spiritual or psychological detours.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I kinda thought of this group as my higher power

Personally I think Nature and the Universe could work as well as anything else if you feel like it's necessary to find a higher power Sweetichick.

If you want to check out something secular like SMART I believe they do have some meetings in SEQld

https://smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au/listings

D
Old 01-13-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have seen somebody die from drinking with stomach ulcers. It was terrible. Please stop!
Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
Hi all.. bleeding ulcer... kids it makes me so sad and sick.. I am sorry Admin .. have to tell this story.. you can delete if you if its to much..

Oct 1996 we had been in Florida for a new life and Ed had a new job 8 weeks.. just paid the rent that sat. and went shopping for food and a grill..
great day .. sunny Ed had off for the first time in 8 weeks. and we swam and laughed and just beautiful..
8pm set up the grill to do some steaks and baked potato.. we had cokes with lemon.. Ed got funny sick.. at 10pm he threw up the first time.. dark. very dark... we thought he had had to much coke cola.... rested.. we did not do the steaks.. I took the potato's out of the oven.. I ate.. he rested... 12 midnight .. he ran for the bathroom threw up again.. this time he had a strange look on his face.. color was good higher pink then his usual but not dizzy or off balance.. this time I reached in to the waters.. my hand ran red with the blood.. my medical training kicked in hard.. got him with a big towel he was starting to shake a bit.. it now was 1am colder out.. shut the apart ment up tight.. grabbed my bag and note book .. of 4 years..
only hospital I knew of was the Tallahasse Community hospital.. what a mess of a miss placed part of health care and that was 1996... kid behind the intake emergency desk.. was Gomer Pyle grandson.. a dummy.. I scared him royally.. we had no connections except Eds work at the time.. Ed threw up blood 4 feet long and a splatter of 2 feet wide.. I got him in a chair and kicked down the locked ER doors.. got a table for him and was helping him up on it .. and 2 big men came running at us.. he threw up on them.. kids he was bleeding to death . with the broken artery in his ulcer tummy... one man was covered with Ed's blood.. I grabbed him and swore in Marine First Class. style.. that man dies down here and there is not enough room in all of the South for this Old Lady of Wisconsin to be unhappy.. RN 2 LPN's and a Doc came running at us.. blood every where.. I helped clean up a bunch as ER was getting a ton of people from the street fast... I got into Ed. lady had him sitting up.. he was shaking so much .. she was tryin gto put an IV in his arm.. blood up the wall to the ceiling I wraped the towel from home around him and prayed God please not here Please not here.. helped her and got him to lay down.. they did the xray and he threw up again.. they had to start wholl blood on him.. my heart almost stopped.. RN that was to help with the surgery to stop the bleeding in tummy ... got pushy.... Ed was in a type of twilight sleep. had no idea what was happening. she shouted he sat up and punched out her lights.. Doc looked at me and stopped.. Son I said you gotta do this.. I will do the vitals. and he will not die not on our watch tonight... I had a computer camera screen up over my right shoulder.. had Ed on his left side. talking to him solid. you listen up dummy and listen tight .. lay still do not move.. breath with me.. everything kept beeping on clu... doc are you ok .. Son just keep doing that job.. 1 hour later In recovery... ed was a wake for a bit ... knew me.. and the beeping kept up solid for 3 days in instensive care. . I was molding with his blood on me.. never left his side.. cried in the private shower they had with all my clothes on.... he would have died if I had not been there.. if we had been drinking we would have never known or realized what was happening to him... he would have died in the night.... I did special training about 3 years later with the Tallahassee Police Department.. they were doing a photo view of problems.. what do you think happened that this person died like this... then they hit a photo of a man.. that had been found 3 days after death.. the minute I saw the photo I knew what happened.. and walked up to the screen very slowly.. did a tale of what problably happened. Sgt Fair came up wrapped his arms around me and said.. how do you know this... newby... my hubby would have had this death happen to him if I had not gotten him to the hospital ....

if you are having problems with ulcers and they are bleeding.. kids there is nothing that your body is going to tell you .. because you are turning off the brain that would warn you and stop you .. You are killing yourself with drink and pills and weed very slowly and then one day your body just will not care any longer and the tummy will be a balloon that fills up and then expels the fluid. until there is none left................... I am sorry .. love you all so much.. please please don't let this happen to you ... please.. I need a tissue. and to tell my hubby I love him so much......
Ardy, that is a very scary story. I am glad you were there with him.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetichick,

Is it possible to go to rehab for a bit to help you build up a few weeks of sober time, and then leave with a plan for moving forward?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I remember reading a post of Berrybean's (I think) that mentioned a 'Group Of Drunks' as a higher power. That's how I now think of this place. I'm not in AA but, if I was, it would be that same idea I'd use -being accountable to a power greater than me. That's what this community is - the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. I can come here for advice and support when I need it and know I will always be helped. I can rely on people here to help me through the tough times, when I'm not feeling strong enough to go it alone. As far as higher powers go, it's not a bad one.

Ardy - thank you for sharing such a profoundly personal post.