Notices

Poll: How many of us had alcoholic parents

Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

My mother, father and younger brother were all alcoholics as were my maternal grandfather and grandmother and my paternal grandfather. I don't know how much further back the family curse goes. Not sure I want to know.

My mother died at 82 of GI bleeding (varices) related to drinking. My father died at 69 of cigarette-caused lung cancer before drinking could kill him. My brother died at 66 of mouth and throat cancer: not sure if it was cigarettes or alcohol that caused his cancers. Probably both. My two grandfathers died in their mid 50's of liver failure and my maternal grandmother lived to 95 and died of congestive heart failure. I'm 80 this year and still pretty durn healthy.

I have tried, somewhat successfully, to learn from example rather than to try it out for myself.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Yes my dads side have a long history of alcoholic males, my grandad died from it and my dad won't last to much longer.
As for my mum she was adopted but I would not rule out alcoholism as they where Irish and her mum suffered mental health problems. My mum was also a problem drinker in the last although she Hardley drinks now!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Dad was a 40 year alcoholic/drug addict. Now in recovery 3 years. No issues for my mom. I took off early. About 14 years old with pot, booze etc. I was a full blown alcoholic by 19.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SWTPEA61 View Post
Sunshine
Keep the conversation about alcohol open with him .....let him know that it could be in his genes and alcohol could be a problem.
sunshine
I believe this is very important. While I do not think it will "prevent" either of his children from becoming alcoholics, I know that my boyfriend's honesty with them about his alcoholism has a lot of positive impact on them. What it is, what he's doing to be well, the life he leads now, all of it is the best example he can give them about handling one of life's toughest problems, addiction.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Nope. My dad loved his beer especially towards the end of his life but was not an alcoholic or even a heavy drinker. Growing up the only time I saw my mom drink was a strawberry daiquiri or 2 on Super Bowl Sunday. I have never seen my mom drunk. Her mother was a raging alcoholic though and her father always had a been in hand but I never saw him drunk either. I don't know if he was or not I didn't spend much time with him. I was raised primarily by my dads parents and never saw either of them drink. There is a lot of alcohol abuse of my moms side of the family though. When my moms mother died my cousins were passing around a bottle in a paper bag AT the graveside service......way to keep it classy!

My older sister doesn't drink at all, my younger brother and sister do. I think my sister has a problem but I'm not sure if she's like me or is she is just using alcohol to get through our moms death. She died earlier this year and my sister lived with her. I know she still drinks but I'm not sure if she is hitting it as hard as she was earlier this year.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

My Dad, his Dad and all of their families had lots of drug and alcohol abuse. My Mom's side of the family is normal and clean.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Both my parents didnt drink or smoke. Both set of grandparents didnt drink or smoke.. depression however runs in the family, and IMO this is one of the major contributors to alcoholism as it is the only easy to get self medication.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Neither of my parents ever drank growing up but I heard my grandfather did when he was younger. I rarely ever even saw drunk adults growing up. My dad abused prescription pills, however. I didnt even start drinking until 24.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Father is a prescription drug addict. Not sure if it makes a difference with me as he's been out of my life since I was 12. Mother is an anorexic who "coached" me on how to be thin. Pretty sure that had major damage and still am ouptpatient for my anorexia. I'm trying to get past the point of blaming the both of them though. I'm 41. Need to stand up on my own two feet.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Both my parents are heavy drinkers. Not "official" diagnosis of alcoholism, but my dad used to drink bottles of wine and then drive us home. He has cut down a bit in recent years. My mum had an MRI for something unrelated and discovered that her cerebellum (part of the brain that controls movement) is shrunk, probably due to alcohol needless to say, drinking was a the " normal" thing to do in my family
Old 12-21-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

No one in my family drank on either side. Family "talk" suggests my great-grandfather's were (both sides). I appear to be the only one in my family with a problem
Old 12-21-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 12-21-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Yep, my maternal grandfather was an alcoholic and my father was an alcoholic.

My father made it to 65 before he died of cirrhosis. Considering he couldn't get out of bed without taking a slug from a bottle of vodka he did remarkably well.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

No, not as far as I can tell. I did this all by myself!