Notices

Poll: How many of us had alcoholic parents

Old 12-18-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Didn't know my sperm donor, he didn't want anything to do with us, but my mom was an alcoholic my entire life. My stepdad was not, but he usually had a couple of beer every night but never once in 30 years had more than two.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My Father is an alcoholic who is still drinking. He lives across the country so i don't see him a whole lot. He has dealt with alot of pain in his life by drinking. My Grandmother and Brother both died well before their time. He is a good guy but alcohol has him trapped and it dominates his life. He's living in squalor by a lake in upstate NY. He got handed a six figure inheritance and has all but squandered it away with drinking. My Grandfather on my Fathers side was also an alcoholic and got hit by a car while crossing a road. Tragic.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wanted to add, I think alcohol killed my mother along with medicines she was taking. She had a significantly smaller brain and got dementia around age 52 and succumbed to it ten years later.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My father was an alcoholic who quit drinking when I was A child. He lived until he was 87. My mother rarely drank. Neither of my sisters have a problem. I'm the lucky one😑
Old 12-18-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My father was a bad alcoholic, but stopped when I was very young (never saw him drunk) my uncle was also an alcoholic.
I also have a sibling that is not an alcoholic, though I got blessed with it,.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Nobody in my immediate or large extended family is an alcoholic, although I believe my maternal grandfather (died long before I was born) might have been one.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Mom and Dad alcoholics. Dad passed from Cirrhosis. Mom still drinks daily. Most extended family alcoholics and drug addicts. Sigh I pray for my son that this curse skips him. He is only 15 now.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Dad, his dad, his dad's dad. My mom's dad. An uncle. A sib.
Mom doesn't drink. Never did. She's a heck of an enabler though.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Legolady View Post
Both my parents are alcoholics, my dad's family are all big drinkers aswell one of them im particular is always in and out of rehab.
Drinking and getting drunk always seemed to be the norm in my household whilst growing up as a child, my dad took me for my first alcoholic drink when I was only 16 and encouraged it over the years, guess be used me as his drinking partner, since being sober he's not interested in having a relationship with me, my parents are both completely unsupportive of my descion to be sober but honestly..I don't care anymore, i want to set a good example for my little boy, I didn't have a good role model growing up but my son will! Im sticking with Sobriety! 😀
Legolady
That's wonderful
Old 12-18-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce View Post
Both of my parents were some of the most sober people I had met: they very rarely drank, apparently never tried any drugs in their life, did not smoke etc. But both of my grandfathers were long-term alcoholics who also abandoned their families, I had an uncle who died of alcoholism and an aunt who seriously struggled with it. Also both of my family lineages are packed with a variety of mental illnesses, suicides etc. I have no doubts that I carry some baggage in these departments but I am also convinced that I am the most educated and self-aware about these things at least among the relatives I have met or know of. There aren't many of them left and I really only keep in touch with one cousin, kind of.
Very interesting....it seems that the genes don't have to be as close as parents but once or even twice removed.
Thanks Aellyce
Keep the posts coming guys😊
Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Dad, his dad, his dad's dad. My mom's dad. An uncle. A sib.
Mom doesn't drink. Never did. She's a heck of an enabler though.
maudcat
Old 12-18-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Mom and Dad alcoholics. Dad passed from Cirrhosis. Mom still drinks daily. Most extended family alcoholics and drug addicts. Sigh I pray for my son that this curse skips him. He is only 15 now.
Sunshine
Keep the conversation about alcohol open with him .....let him know that it could be in his genes and alcohol could be a problem.
sunshine
Old 12-18-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Originally Posted by comtnman740 View Post
My Father is an alcoholic who is still drinking. He lives across the country so i don't see him a whole lot. He has dealt with alot of pain in his life by drinking. My Grandmother and Brother both died well before their time. He is a good guy but alcohol has him trapped and it dominates his life. He's living in squalor by a lake in upstate NY. He got handed a six figure inheritance and has all but squandered it away with drinking. My Grandfather on my Fathers side was also an alcoholic and got hit by a car while crossing a road. Tragic.
Wow comtnman im glad your here and sober
Old 12-18-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Truthseeker11 View Post
I wanted to add, I think alcohol killed my mother along with medicines she was taking. She had a significantly smaller brain and got dementia around age 52 and succumbed to it ten years later.
truthseeker sorry about your mom
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

One uncle and I'd say two cousins probably
Old 12-18-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Interesting that people are writing loving and caring if their answer is "no."

Anyway....mine were loving and caring, and my mom is an alcoholic. All over her side of the family too. No alcohol abuse on my dad's side in obvious numbers; my uncle is a heavy drinker but not alcoholic.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
One uncle and I'd say two cousins probably
captain
Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I grew up in a strict household where both of my parents didn't drink at all or smoke, etc.
I know a lot of my extended family has drug and/or alcohol addictions, but my mom had always been pretty good at sheltering me from it growing up. I have two sisters, and none of them ever had any problems with it.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

My mom is definitely and alcoholic and my dad drinks heavily but can stop after a few and switch to tea. Although that wasn't always the case. To be honest it still blows my mind that they can drink the way that they do (they are in their 70s) and still get up and do things the next day. There is a lot of alcoholism on my mother's side. I believe her brother is a huge drinker as well as her dad.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

My mom was not alcoholic. My Dad has the isms. He was a loose cannon growing up. He takes a lot of medication now. His father was a violent alcoholic. My mother's mother was an alcoholic but quit drinking before I was born. She never got recovery though and was pegged as "crazy." She spent the last 30 years of her life in bed. She was horribly depressed and anxious and never got out of bed except to use the bathroom. My Dad called her "the talking head" because she was covered in blankets in her bed and you could only see her head. It was very, very sad. I've got an aunt and uncle who are definitely alcoholic (aunt is sober, uncle not), 2 cousins in recovery from alcohol, and then a lot of folks in my family are "functioning" alkies. I come from an absolute dynasty of alcoholics. Shake my family tree and bottles fall out.