Notices

Poll: How many of us had alcoholic parents

Old 12-19-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Good poll Swtpea & thanks for posting!
I too am getting a lot out of the 'Under the Influence' excerpts and also just started 'Adult Children of Alcoholics'. The more we know, the better we can manage this disease & live productive lives.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have more alcoholics than not in my family. I was very close to my two cousins for a long time, but have had to cut them out of my life for not being supportive. I've uninstalled snapchat from my phone, because I was jealous of watching them go to bars with my old friends. NOT looking forward to this weekend.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hard to know if anyone in my family is actually an alcoholic, but I suspect so. Pretty much everyone drinks. Some more than others. I'm the first in the family to admit to it and get help. No one died from anything obviously caused by alcohol, but there is high blood pressure and strokes, which could be related. There was (is) definitely an alcohol culture in my family. My mom once said "shake the family tree hard enough and alcoholics will fall out." I'm really open with my kids (25 and 15) about my alcoholism, so that they are aware it could be an issue for them. God, I hope not.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Neither parents or grandparents were drinkers.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CajunPrincess View Post
I grew up in a strict household where both of my parents didn't drink at all or smoke, etc.
I know a lot of my extended family has drug and/or alcohol addictions, but my mom had always been pretty good at sheltering me from it growing up. I have two sisters, and none of them ever had any problems with it.
cajunprincess
Old 12-19-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
Neither parents or grandparents were drinkers.
Gatorman
Any uncles or aunts?
Old 12-19-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Hard to know if anyone in my family is actually an alcoholic, but I suspect so. Pretty much everyone drinks. Some more than others. I'm the first in the family to admit to it and get help. No one died from anything obviously caused by alcohol, but there is high blood pressure and strokes, which could be related. There was (is) definitely an alcohol culture in my family. My mom once said "shake the family tree hard enough and alcoholics will fall out." I'm really open with my kids (25 and 15) about my alcoholism, so that they are aware it could be an issue for them. God, I hope not.
MLD .....I love that quote.....shake the family tree!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Good poll Swtpea & thanks for posting!
I too am getting a lot out of the 'Under the Influence' excerpts and also just started 'Adult Children of Alcoholics'. The more we know, the better we can manage this disease & live productive lives.
bandicoot
What we know and why will keep us sober....inquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SulfuricSplash View Post
I have more alcoholics than not in my family. I was very close to my two cousins for a long time, but have had to cut them out of my life for not being supportive. I've uninstalled snapchat from my phone, because I was jealous of watching them go to bars with my old friends. NOT looking forward to this weekend.
sulfur
Old 12-19-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
My mom was not alcoholic. My Dad has the isms. He was a loose cannon growing up. He takes a lot of medication now. His father was a violent alcoholic. My mother's mother was an alcoholic but quit drinking before I was born. She never got recovery though and was pegged as "crazy." She spent the last 30 years of her life in bed. She was horribly depressed and anxious and never got out of bed except to use the bathroom. My Dad called her "the talking head" because she was covered in blankets in her bed and you could only see her head. It was very, very sad. I've got an aunt and uncle who are definitely alcoholic (aunt is sober, uncle not), 2 cousins in recovery from alcohol, and then a lot of folks in my family are "functioning" alkies. I come from an absolute dynasty of alcoholics. Shake my family tree and bottles fall out.
Bunny
Im so happy you are sober and with us.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm the only alcoholic in my family. But I was severely traumatized at the age of 4 and believe that led to my problems with alcohol.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
fgo

I've had a lot of family that drank.I still remember the first time I drank a beer, I was with my grandpa & my dad, we were boating down a lake I was maybe 10. Hated the taste, learned to crave it . Lost both grandpas & a close cousin to it. Bunny said something on this thread that stuck with me. I am dealing with a "talking head "with my mom. She was forced to quit drinking because she can't go get it. She just lays on the couch.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
I'm the only alcoholic in my family. But I was severely traumatized at the age of 4 and believe that led to my problems with alcohol.
Saskia for sharing
Old 12-19-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finallygotout View Post
I've had a lot of family that drank.I still remember the first time I drank a beer, I was with my grandpa & my dad, we were boating down a lake I was maybe 10. Hated the taste, learned to crave it . Lost both grandpas & a close cousin to it. Bunny said something on this thread that stuck with me. I am dealing with a "talking head "with my mom. She was forced to quit drinking because she can't go get it. She just lays on the couch.
finally
Old 12-19-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

My dad was an alcoholic, and died at 68 due to alcohol related illnesses. My mom had an occasional drink at parties, but hasn't had a sip of alcohol since being diagnosed with lupus over 20 years ago.

My life was good growing up, but my dad's drinking definitely interfered with his relationship with my mom, and his job.

My younger brother spent some time in jail for drugs, and still struggles with this issue until this day.

I have read Under the Influence as well, great book!
Old 12-20-2016, 03:40 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

My mom rarely drank. If she did it was a half glass at most.

I was mostly raised by mom.

Dad wasn't around much, but many of my younger years the times around him always involved seeing him drink. He and his wife and all of their social circle. His wife has now been sober for decades. He now has an occasional beer or two.

Were they alcoholics? I remember thinking so as a kid. But I also remember seeing alcohol as the grown up thing to do. And probably wanting to be like Dad. And also probably leaning toward drugs and alcohol because of the pain of not having him around.

In the end, I'm responsible for my own actions and my own use of alcohol and drugs. But I'm sure that the context of alcohol my Dad and his life presented me were a factor in my choices.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by finallygotout View Post
Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
My dad was an alcoholic, and died at 68 due to alcohol related illnesses. My mom had an occasional drink at parties, but hasn't had a sip of alcohol since being diagnosed with lupus over 20 years ago.

My life was good growing up, but my dad's drinking definitely interfered with his relationship with my mom, and his job.

My younger brother spent some time in jail for drugs, and still struggles with this issue until this day.

I have read Under the Influence as well, great book!
Delilah
Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
My mom rarely drank. If she did it was a half glass at most.

I was mostly raised by mom.

Dad wasn't around much, but many of my younger years the times around him always involved seeing him drink. He and his wife and all of their social circle. His wife has now been sober for decades. He now has an occasional beer or two.

Were they alcoholics? I remember thinking so as a kid. But I also remember seeing alcohol as the grown up thing to do. And probably wanting to be like Dad. And also probably leaning toward drugs and alcohol because of the pain of not having him around.

In the end, I'm responsible for my own actions and my own use of alcohol and drugs. But I'm sure that the context of alcohol my Dad and his life presented me were a factor in my choices.
Freeowl
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

My dad is an alcoholic and addict. He's been clean for about 30 years with no relapses. He gives me strength. If he can go 30 years, I know I can too. I'm the only child out of 3 that's an alcoholic and addict, but my siblings have major problems with anxiety and depression also, they've just learned other destructive ways to deal.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Both grandfathers, but neither parent. My grandfather on my mom's side was a drunk who left the family when my mom was about 12 and got paralyzed in a DUI accident he caused. Later died at about age 55 from liver disease. Grandfather on my dad's side was an everyday-drinker, but it was like PBR cans, not sure how many (more than recommended for sure). He died in an auto accident, not sure if alcohol was involved though.