Notices

4 years 11 months sober and scared from this festive season

Old 12-16-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 years 11 months sober and scared from this festive season

Hi all

Some of you might recognize me. I quit alcohol 4 years and 11 months ago.

Yes great achievement. It was hard only for the first 2 weeks - 1 year, later it got a lot easier.

For some reason Im a bit scared this year. Festive season is approaching and Im not sure how I feel about it.

Today Im going to the party and I don't care about drinks. Honestly!

Im worried celebrating Christmas at my parents. My parents and my boyfriend only drink on special occasions but for some reason Im so jealous this year!!!!!!!!!!! I envy them already! They will be enjoying their drinks and I will be watching.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Did you enjoy your Christmas from the past few years??
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2/2016

I just suggest playing the tape through. Who wants just one drink? Not me. I know if I have one it will lead to more until I blackout and I will feel self-loating, guilt and a hangover tomorrow. It is so not worth it.

Stay strong, you are not missing out on anything. It is poison really.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What scares you and why?

I shared this sort of logic problem in another thread where someone said they were afraid they might relapse after a long period of sobriety... like five years plus..

Every morning for 4 years and 11 months I have toast for breakfast and throw a couple scraps of crust out my window for the birds, and every morning for 4 years and 11 months the birds come and they eat it. This morning I woke up feeling anxiety because I wasn't sure if I would make toast and whether if I did I would throw the crust to the birds, and whether if I did the birds would come and eat it as they have for the past four years and 11 months.

What is going on here? Why did I wake up this morning thinking that way? Does it make sense, why or why not? What should I tell myself instead?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Has anything changed recently that has made you consider drinking after 5 years of sobriety?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you check newcomers I've put a lot of excellent threads by Dee74 in relation to your question & remember were always here for you 24h a day 7 days a week
Old 12-16-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Did you enjoy your Christmas from the past few years??
Its always been a bit so so during festive season to be honest. I got through every year sober.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
I just suggest playing the tape through. Who wants just one drink? Not me. I know if I have one it will lead to more until I blackout and I will feel self-loating, guilt and a hangover tomorrow. It is so not worth it.

Stay strong, you are not missing out on anything. It is poison really.
I will not have a drink no matter what! Christmas is only one day I can get through it.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
What scares you and why?

I shared this sort of logic problem in another thread where someone said they were afraid they might relapse after a long period of sobriety... like five years plus..

Every morning for 4 years and 11 months I have toast for breakfast and throw a couple scraps of crust out my window for the birds, and every morning for 4 years and 11 months the birds come and they eat it. This morning I woke up feeling anxiety because I wasn't sure if I would make toast and whether if I did I would throw the crust to the birds, and whether if I did the birds would come and eat it as they have for the past four years and 11 months.

What is going on here? Why did I wake up this morning thinking that way? Does it make sense, why or why not? What should I tell myself instead?
I am scared of spoil other people's festive spirit. Being addicted to alcohol is my problem and its very selfish to be grumpy at other people who do drink only twice a year.

But I just can't stand the thought sitting at the table with the closest people in the world and watching them enjoy their booze.

I won't drink I know that for sure. I will be very moody, thats my problem. May be I can pretend Im happy just to keep other people happy.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Has anything changed recently that has made you consider drinking after 5 years of sobriety?
No no I won't drink! Ive reached almost 5 years and wont waste it.

Its a great achievement. Id rather eat poison than drink!!!!! One glass will destroy me.

Nothing has really changed. My boyfriend rarely drinks, but when he does that makes me very anxious. He never drinks at home only on special occasions. I guess Im just jealous he can control his drink intake and I can't.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Something to add. I think this is what triggers my thoughts about the drink.

Ive been trying to conceive a baby for 1,5 years. All tests and scans are fine. Doctor thinks I am too healthy (his words). He told me to try and relax. Have a GLASS OF WINE!
Its an awful thing to say!!!! I am addict, I can't have drink.

Then my friend got pregnant after 5 years of trying and all she did was had a glass of wine. And she keeps saying: just had a glass of wine and you will relax.

So what can I do to relax?

Old 12-16-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Those people who said that to you don't understand. You know that a glass of wine isn't going to help you get pregnant. That's crazy.

If you need to relax, take up lap-swimming or running or weight lifting. Knitting!

What kind of doctor says you're too healthy? I'd be doctor shopping.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Those people who said that to you don't understand. You know that a glass of wine isn't going to help you get pregnant. That's crazy.

If you need to relax, take up lap-swimming or running or weight lifting. Knitting!

What kind of doctor says you're too healthy? I'd be doctor shopping.
I think doc was joking. I told him I don't drink, smoke or eat meat. He looked and me and said "its too healthy". I need something to relax and enjoy.
I know glass of something will only destroy me. So I won't do that.

I like the idea of knitting
Old 12-16-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cracks me up that I suggested three strenuous exercises and knitting and you picked knitting.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you HF - and wonderful to hear you have a bf and are trying for a baby

Thoughts and fears happen all the time - I think it's a measure of our recovery how we deal with them..you came here, and asked for help...I think you'll be just fine.

Keep doing what you did all those other Christmases

D
Old 12-16-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
I like the idea of knitting
It's one of the most relaxing things I've done Healthyfood. Years ago I learned how to make a sweater. I still know how to knit and purl and cast on. Don't remember how to cast off so I'm in big trouble when my sobriety scarf is done. It didn't even start out as a scarf. I just started knitting and knitting and knitting. It's meditation for me now.

Do you know how to knit? These days you can find just about anything you want to learn on You Tube in instructional videos.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
I am scared of spoil other people's festive spirit. Being addicted to alcohol is my problem and its very selfish to be grumpy at other people who do drink only twice a year.

But I just can't stand the thought sitting at the table with the closest people in the world and watching them enjoy their booze.

I won't drink I know that for sure. I will be very moody, thats my problem. May be I can pretend Im happy just to keep other people happy.
I misunderstood, I thought you were afraid of relapsing.

Nothing is going to happen to you if they drink and you don't. You aren't missing out on anything because you're abstaining from something that hurts you.

It's almost like the way I felt at my Thanksgiving table this year... I ate a reasonable amount of food and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt satisfied when I was done, not stuffed or uncomfortable. Yet I watched other people at the table who started out with twice the amount of food on their plates that I started with finish that and then help themselves to seconds, thirds, and fourths of some items. And I kid you not, they teased me about hardly eating. I had a serving of everything, and not just a bite or two, at least four or five, of everything. That's plenty. I didn't gorge like everybody else and some felt the need to point that out. Is that going to make me feel like I'm in some way missing out on something? Why should I eat like a pig until my stomach is bursting just because they are? Why should I feel out of place for not following suit with them?

Do what is right for you and feel good about that. You don't need to drink to enjoy a party any more than I needed to gorge myself to enjoy Thanskgiving dinner. Furthermore, the people that pointed out I had eaten less than them probably felt insecure about the amount they had eaten. Likewise, anyone who mentions that you aren't drinking probably feels insecure about their drinking. Sorry not sorry. Cause we are talking about overindulgences here.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

And those are your feelings and you recognize them to be inappropriate so choose others.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
It's one of the most relaxing things I've done Healthyfood. Years ago I learned how to make a sweater. I still know how to knit and purl and cast on. Don't remember how to cast off so I'm in big trouble when my sobriety scarf is done. It didn't even start out as a scarf. I just started knitting and knitting and knitting. It's meditation for me now.

Do you know how to knit? These days you can find just about anything you want to learn on You Tube in instructional videos.
I do know how to knit but prefer crocheting. It is relaxing.

I sell stuff online and photograph my own photos, then edit them in Photoshop. This keeps me busy and relaxed too. I suppose any arts and crafts is very helpful while recovering.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I misunderstood, I thought you were afraid of relapsing.

Nothing is going to happen to you if they drink and you don't. You aren't missing out on anything because you're abstaining from something that hurts you.

It's almost like the way I felt at my Thanksgiving table this year... I ate a reasonable amount of food and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt satisfied when I was done, not stuffed or uncomfortable. Yet I watched other people at the table who started out with twice the amount of food on their plates that I started with finish that and then help themselves to seconds, thirds, and fourths of some items. And I kid you not, they teased me about hardly eating. I had a serving of everything, and not just a bite or two, at least four or five, of everything. That's plenty. I didn't gorge like everybody else and some felt the need to point that out. Is that going to make me feel like I'm in some way missing out on something? Why should I eat like a pig until my stomach is bursting just because they are? Why should I feel out of place for not following suit with them?

Do what is right for you and feel good about that. You don't need to drink to enjoy a party any more than I needed to gorge myself to enjoy Thanskgiving dinner. Furthermore, the people that pointed out I had eaten less than them probably felt insecure about the amount they had eaten. Likewise, anyone who mentions that you aren't drinking probably feels insecure about their drinking. Sorry not sorry. Cause we are talking about overindulgences here.
Nice thoughts! Indeed! You are right I don't need to follow them cause it will hurt me. I will enjoy my food and water as thats the only thing I drink.
Food will satisfy me and I will be first awake next day ha ha.