Notices

New here - sick of being a "lush"

Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have been in a VERY similar situation : 51 been drinking my entire life. Very heavy drinking for the last decade. Daily for the last few years.
Decided enough was enough. Today is Day 24 and as recently as 30 days ago could not imagine going even 1 day without a drink.
You can do this and you will be glad that you did!

This is a great place to know that you are not alone in this!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi DAB, glad you are here! What book are you reading?
Old 11-15-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

How is it going today, DB?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeadAndBloated View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

Looking at the user name I chose...i guess it's kind-of gross lol. It's just how I was feeling at the moment & the song was in my head.
i felt that way a time or 50 when i was drinking,too. used to crank that song thinkin,"dead and bloated- that's my destiny." i used to say that about quite a few different songs( ozzy's suicide solution, metallica master of puppets).

but i found out that was just a lie i was telling myself .

i read ya type about 'figuring it out." the great thing is ya don't have to do that- theres a few recovery programs that have figured out how to stop drinking for good and gain a better life.

something sobriety has given me is the ability to crank out them songs, listen to the instrumental of the songs( i never really did that before. now i can tune into it and hear the talent), hear the lyrics and say,"thats deeper than i remember and i was heading there. dam glad im not today!"
Old 11-16-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Hi DAB, glad you are here! What book are you reading?
My Reclaimed Life by Ed Wyrick
Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - I'm sure some won't like this but it's all about being honest now.

I didn't quit but I'm going to try one thing first. In the book I'm reading, the author says "if you think you can do it, try having only 1 drink max per day for 30 days "
He isn't necessarily enouraging continued alcohol use but rather challenging you and asking you to admit the truth to yourself.

If I fail - i MUST QUIT DRINKING.
This is the deal i have made with myself.
I'm going to see my therapist today and telling her EVERYTHING.

I also spoke to my husband for the first time about my concern with my drinking and wanting to change it. He said "yes you are a binge drinker."

Yesterday I had one beer with him after work. Of course I wanted another before I was even finished with the first one. He looked at me and said" just don't have another. You can do this."

So I did not have another. was it easy? No not really. But after I ate dinner I was completely fine with it.

Hubby agrees that going to AA would be a good idea if I cannot do this.( For the record my husband is a very very moderate Drinker and will often go a full week or two without a single beer.)

Right now this is all about learning to be honest with myself and everyone around me. I promise to keep being honest.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I should add that part of this 30-day deal with myself also includes complete abstinence days. Again if I do not keep this deal even through the holidays or any other celebrations then I am finding a meeting and I am going. Point Blank Period!
Old 11-16-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

ok, but what about day 31?

D
Old 11-16-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Day 31 won't be a free pass. If i reach day 30 then it continues.
If i can't do it for 30 days then i can't do it and have to quit completely

Today i didn't drink. Instead i had pancakes 😁
Old 11-16-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi DeadAndBloated (love me some STP)

What does one drink a day do for you?
Old 11-16-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you, DeadAndBloated.

I was older too when I finally realized what needed to be done. There was no guarantee that my first drink wouldn't lead to 10. It was dangerous. Being here to talk things over with people who understood made all the difference to me.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ouch. Just remembering some of my moderation experiments. It took me a while to realise that 'normal' drinkers don't ever feel the need to do this. It was hard to moderate for a month, but sometimes I'd manage it because I'd made some mental deal or another. That level of energy for a month was sustainable (just about) sometimes, but not as an ongoing thing. I really believed I could train myself to be a person who could be happy and content to moderate my drinking on a long term basis. I couldn't. I could moderate for a month, while thinking obsessively about alcohol. That was nowhere near the same as happy and content and long-term.

The only way I could get happy and content and long term was by stopping from trying to find easier softer ways (which were always anything BUT easier or softer in reality), and lean into my fear and come out of the denial that always led me back to drinking and an unmanageable life.

Hopefully your experience will be different.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome. This site it a good place to talk to others who are going through the same thing that you are.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I had 1 beer Weds.

And even tho i "could have" had a drink yesterday or today - i didnt

2 days zero alcohol

One day at a time right now
Old 11-17-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
K66
Sober Date March 19, 2018 *One Day At A Time*

Welcome! I've just resurfaced and feel as though it's my first time here'll over again... Don't go far... You can do it... We all need to support each other in the fight.... Keep our heads on straight and remind ourselves of our goal... Happiness in sobriety... I've slipped up lately and I needed to come back for strength... Good luck and keep posting
Old 11-17-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I had 1 beer Weds.

And even tho i "could have" had a drink yesterday or today - i didnt

2 days zero alcohol

One day at a time right now
This is great...I guess I just don't understand the need to hang on to one beer? I feel like one beer a day would do nothing for me...I mean what's the point if I am not getting a good solid buzz? Easier to just have none really.