Notices

Indulge me

Old 11-10-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Indulge me

Haven't posted in quite a while. So, life is still life even in sobriety. There have been some challenges recently. Both my computers "updated" and wiped em out. Got em back from being repaired and it was like having 2 brand new computers (meaning all my real estate files and important pictures were gone), I got extremely sick for about a week which is more frustrating than anything, and my wife totaled her car but she did not get hurt. Hit a huge buck (their in rut now). It was not insured for full coverage...total loss.

I mention those things to possibly provide perspective. They are not very pleasant things to deal with, they would have been much more unpleasant had I still been drinking. We will get through it, and I will do it hangover free. Other areas of life are actually pretty good, I'm still on my health kick, I'm enjoying the real estate profession, I see good things coming from it.

Lastly, and most importantly for this forum, I am coming up on about a year of sobriety, I have no intentions of returning to drinking. I do not count days and never have, I approached it as a wholesale lifestyle change. I'm not going to try and fix what isn't broken, I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing in that regard. I know myself, I'm either a drinker or not...there is no in-between. I have no regrets, but it required some changes in my life. I am even less social than I was before, but I don't care. I busy myself with other things. I still read this site daily although contribute much less. I am going to try and contribute more now (I was involved with some websites and a radio show for a few months regarding the elections).

Just an FYI for those who are new or struggling. I sleep like a baby, I eat well, my head is clear, my skin and face are not blotchy, I have not had the shakes, "bathroom issues", rapid heart rate, night sweats, feeling of impending doom, a panic attack, guilt or shame from my behavior in months and months. What changed? I stopped putting poison in my body on a regular basis.
Lastly, was it easy? nope. But I believe it is a lot easier than being an alcoholic, and I'm being serious.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your upcoming year Jeff - you've come a long way
Stay on your toes tho - the beast likes to play possum.

D
Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

really great post, Jeff........so good to "see" you!
Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post! Yes..... Through all the trials now in life, doing this sober is much easier than it used to be drinking. My best wishes to you, as you continue on your journey.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post!!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job Jeff. You handled a bunch of challenges in a real positive way. Job well done my friend
Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're inspirational Jeff. Sorry for all you and your wife have gone through but thank you for the perspective, which we all can do with when things get tough!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, Jeff. I m so very, very pleased for you.

So happy that your wife was not hurt in the accident.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post, Jeff!

I think you hit on something really important. None of this is easy. But it's so much harder to be an alcoholic.

Keep up the great work!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I mention those things to possibly provide perspective. They are not very pleasant things to deal with, they would have been much more unpleasant had I still been drinking. .
Isn't that the truth, somewhere along the way we start deluding ourselves that a few + drinks will help us cope with the tough and unpleasant things in our lives but in reality it makes it harder long term . So much harder.

Thanks Thomas11, ...that was a really nice post and congratulations on one year.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to hear from you, Jeff!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration!!! well done
Old 11-10-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats Jeff. I'm glad your wife is ok. It's common to hit deer and elk in my neck of the woods too. Very scary.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post, Jeff!!

Your last part about this being easier than being an active alcoholic makes me think of my first date with my boyfriend in July .... he was about 30 days sober. He remembers that when I shared with him the nutshell of my life (we dated in high school and he randomly asked me to lunch this summer, long story there) and that I was going on five months sober, I told him "there is nothing that isn't better sober." He says now "I didn't quite believe you, but I wanted to know more." He's convinced now. And I can say that applies to both of us, and while SO many of the promises of AA have and are true for each of us, and together - we have dealt with and are dealing with tough stuff, too. His daughter's suicide attempt in Sep, repairing a major rift (of five years and enormous family trauma) between my brother and me, custody and co-parenting for him and his ex-wife, my money "rebuilding" ..... all kinds of little and big stuff. I simply could not handle any of it if I was drinking- and my choice to be sober brings the gift of life, with all it entails.

Love hearing your story!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great post Jeff! Congratulations on your upcoming year!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job on your upcoming year Jeff! Do you plan on a little celebration for yourself? Or just carry on as usual?
Dee's right- don't forget to stay vigilant to protect your sobriety.
Sounds like you're doing awesome
Old 11-10-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your upcoming year! Great job
Old 11-10-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

Awesome, Jeff, seriously awesome. Keep truckin
Old 11-11-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congrats on upcoming anniversary! One year is fantastic!
Old 11-11-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Fantastic post Jeff, it is so inspiring and I really love seeing the positive changes in your life and attitude you have made. I am so happy for you and really glad you are reaping the benefits of sobriety.

Sorry about the car and the computers, two things you definitely not need but you can and will get through this.