Notices

Importance of having a plan

Old 11-09-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Importance of having a plan

Hello,
This is my 55th day of being sober.
Today i got angry for the first time since i quit drinking and felt like i want to drink a lot. So i stopped in front of the liquer store and went in. Since i didnt have any plan to stop me from drinking if i get angry, i didnt know what to do. And just as i walked in, i remembered when i stopped in the first place.. But i needed to do something, i was angry and craving a drink. Than i thought something silly, i bout 2 liters of coca cola and 2 big bags of potato chips. And ate them really fast. I am feeling dizzy from the sugar rush right now : )..
Anyway i survived my anger, but i realized i need a plan for this kind of situations...
Any ideas ?
Old 11-09-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I commend you for not buying alcohol.

Here's a start ...
Remember the Word ... H A L T

When your AV (Alcoholic Voice) kicks on..

Ask yourself the following:

Am I ?
Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
I commend you for not buying alcohol.

Here's a start ...
Remember the Word ... H A L T

When your AV (Alcoholic Voice) kicks on..

Ask yourself the following:

Am I ?
Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.
I was hungry, angry, lonely and tired lol
Old 11-09-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by blackened83 View Post
Anyway i survived my anger, but i realized i need a plan for this kind of situations...
Any ideas ?
1. Recognize you are angry.
2. Cope with the anger.

Google "Anger Management" or "Dealing with Anger" and then find a coping strategy that you can implement.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Yep.....
Old 11-09-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Blackened!

I think it's good to have a plan for staying sober. I need to be constantly vigilant, and get strength from SoberRecovery and AA. Keep reading and posting--it works of you work it!
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to drink for every emotion. When I first got sober I only had two emotions, anger and sadness.

Both were fear in disguise. I didn't drink. I'm glad you didn't either.

Thing about emotion is that it passes. Deep breaths. Well done.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can go to a meeting, maybe get a sponsor you can call at bad times, post here, go for a walk, there are a million things you can do besides drink!
Old 11-09-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

blackened

great job on 55 days

i have had serious problems with fear driven, adrenalized, out of control rage, hate and anger in my life.

in fact, thats exactly why i tried to drink myself to death after high school

just like my drinking was out of control ...

one of the great tools i was taught in anger management is to take a series of deep breaths

it is impossible to be taking DEEP BREATHS and be out of control with adrenalized rage at the same time

taking deep breaths shuts that $hit off

Old 11-09-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Been there, done that and I also porked out on junk food instead. I still will grab a bag of tortilla chips and Frito bean dip and eat it all with a Strawberry Melon Brisk when I feel that way. Since I generally eat healthy I allow myself this one indulgence. In fact, I may just head out to the store later today for that combo.

Here's a little ditto for us
Old 11-09-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hate anger, it's so hard to fight it off and a craving when they strike
Old 11-09-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you posted. Most of us have turned to some kind of junk food - I am still big on the ice cream train at nearly 9mo!

Are you working a program? AA (and others like SMART, etc) are exactly that- programs that teach you tools to not drink, no matter what.

Here is what I do to pre-empt cravings, to deal with emotions that shake me up, to get through life on as even keel as possible- some of it is spiritual/etc and some is practical:
I always have something to drink with or next to me. ALWAYS. A bottle of water, sometimes two, coffee, diet coke or sprite, whatever. In the car, on the side table, next to me right now....Keeps me hydrated and busy if I ever need something in a social situation.

I rest. I take naps, still, and I notice that I get drained emotionally after a couple days of good or bad stuff, so I have to be careful of the fatigue hangover.

I call my sponsor. I also talk to my boyfriend (also in recovery) all throughout the day whether on phone, email or text.

Maintaining an even keel- keeping my emotional sobriety- is my primary focus. I believe everything else- the physical drinking- stems from that.

I don't go "bad" places. For you, don't go to a liquor store. For many, the thing is a bar or other place where they used to drink. For me, I didn't go out to eat except with my parents for the first five or so weeks. I don't go anywhere, still, that makes me uncomfortable for any reason (side note: for me, the problem has been removed as AA teaches, so I can go anywhere and be fine- I even work in a restaurant- however, I don't go places I don't LIKE).

I have six things I do every morning- I write them in a planner and cross them off: SR, I read a daily meditation email from Friar Richard Rohr, I read the daily devotional from Keep It Simple: Daily Meditations for 12 Step Beginnings and Renewal; I ask myself HALT; I read pp 85-88 and 417 of the Big Book; from those original five I have more recently added a devotional reading plan from a Bible app that I share with my boyfriend.

A program, to me, is a whole-life form of action.

You can get and stay sober- ruthless protection of your sobriety, from where you go to how you think, to who you spend time with.....all of it can work for you or against you.

Keep going- hope to see you around.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey, blackened83. I used to be a rager, particularly when behind the wheel of a car. How I avoided getting shot, I will never know. Al-Anon helped me to understand from whence my anger sprung--dad, childhood, powerlessness in the face of his anger, etc.--it was huge when I came to understand that I didn't need to react to situations with anger, that it was the other person's problem or issue, not mine. It was as if a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders. Also, HALT is one of the truest acronyms I know with regard to drinking. Any one of those emotions has had the ability to send me into a tail spin. I keep food, crackers, raisins, stuff like that, in the car and a bottle of water, always. It has helped!
Old 11-09-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Any ideas ?
There are some wonderful solid gold ideas here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 11-09-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good on you for not drinking. We need to learn to not drink "at" things. Because there will always be something to drink "at".
Old 11-10-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Glad you posted. Most of us have turned to some kind of junk food - I am still big on the ice cream train at nearly 9mo!

Are you working a program? AA (and others like SMART, etc) are exactly that- programs that teach you tools to not drink, no matter what.

Here is what I do to pre-empt cravings, to deal with emotions that shake me up, to get through life on as even keel as possible- some of it is spiritual/etc and some is practical:
I always have something to drink with or next to me. ALWAYS. A bottle of water, sometimes two, coffee, diet coke or sprite, whatever. In the car, on the side table, next to me right now....Keeps me hydrated and busy if I ever need something in a social situation.

I rest. I take naps, still, and I notice that I get drained emotionally after a couple days of good or bad stuff, so I have to be careful of the fatigue hangover.

I call my sponsor. I also talk to my boyfriend (also in recovery) all throughout the day whether on phone, email or text.

Maintaining an even keel- keeping my emotional sobriety- is my primary focus. I believe everything else- the physical drinking- stems from that.

I don't go "bad" places. For you, don't go to a liquor store. For many, the thing is a bar or other place where they used to drink. For me, I didn't go out to eat except with my parents for the first five or so weeks. I don't go anywhere, still, that makes me uncomfortable for any reason (side note: for me, the problem has been removed as AA teaches, so I can go anywhere and be fine- I even work in a restaurant- however, I don't go places I don't LIKE).

I have six things I do every morning- I write them in a planner and cross them off: SR, I read a daily meditation email from Friar Richard Rohr, I read the daily devotional from Keep It Simple: Daily Meditations for 12 Step Beginnings and Renewal; I ask myself HALT; I read pp 85-88 and 417 of the Big Book; from those original five I have more recently added a devotional reading plan from a Bible app that I share with my boyfriend.

A program, to me, is a whole-life form of action.

You can get and stay sober- ruthless protection of your sobriety, from where you go to how you think, to who you spend time with.....all of it can work for you or against you.

Keep going- hope to see you around.
Having something to drink with you at all times is a great idea... Thanks for that. I will use this aproach, since i realized the part of the addiction to that first beer is mainly sugar. I need to fill the gap sometimes with soda and stuff i guess.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OfEpiphany View Post
I hate anger, it's so hard to fight it off and a craving when they strike
Same here...