Notices

Went in a pub tonight

Old 11-10-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went in a pub tonight

I'm out of town and walked next door to where I'm staying to get some carry out food. Didn't even realize it was a pub/restaurant.Bartender took the food order so I sat at the bar watched tv and waited. She asked if I wanted a drink, the words" no I'm fine thank you" came out with out even thinking. I was surprisingly relaxed even looking at the wall of bottles in front of me. Paid for my order and walked home quite content. I'm proud of myself. Would have been a very different situation a few months ago. I'd know everybody in the place by now. 😀 Here's wishing everyone a sober evening. Thank you all for all that you have given me. It's so worth it
Old 11-10-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job, Matt! It's nice to be able to come onto SR and share those sorts of things, isn't it? Other people would shake their heads and think: big deal. But it is a big deal!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Good job, Matt! It's nice to be able to come onto SR and share those sorts of things, isn't it? Other people would shake their heads and think: big deal. But it is a big deal!
My wife of thirty years wouldn't understand the significance Miss perfumado
Old 11-10-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!!! That would have been very hard for me!
Old 11-10-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's nice isn't it. Being able to return to places we wouldn't have dared to so many months ago, for the obvious reason. Even places as simple as restaurants, which obviously serve drinks, had been difficult for a long time to sit in.

Tonight I had that opportunity as well. I met my parents for dinner (mothers Bday) and everyone who normally has a beer (they aren't heavy drinkers) had theirs and was at peace with my pre-meal coffee and diet soda for dinner.

Have a good night Matt.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's great, Matt! Sometimes we get unexpected situations like that- it is so great to have our first reactions to be the "right" (sober) ones. I had two incidents last weekend while on a trip where alcohol was an ingredient (possibly, in one and definitely, in the second) in some food and I immediately realized I was at a boundary for me. It felt great.

Keep going!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Matt - we're so proud of you. I remember obsessing about drinking/not drinking for the first few months. I never imagined there would come a day I wouldn't be tempted or challenged by it. It feels so good to be free. Congratulations.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job Matt! Nice to get to that point hey? And yeah of course the average person wouldn't get it. But we're not average and the stronger for it.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nicely done!
Old 11-11-2016, 12:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 11-11-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great news! I recently went into a Wetherspoons with a friend and that used to be one of my local haunts to drink cheap booze and get messy. I ordered a Coke and actually tasted the food I had paid for!