Notices

'Fixing' the Broken Weekender 29 Sept - 3 Oct 2016

Old 09-29-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I've always had pretty terrible luck with coffee makers. This one lasted me over four years. That's pretty darn good for me.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
saoutchik

For what it's worth mine is a DeLonghi - every couple of months I run it through with a full tank of water, no coffee and a descaling tablet. London water is very hard and calcium deposits build up quite quickly
Old 09-29-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Morning.

Got woken up at an unreasonable hour by Child 1, who cannot contain her excitement about camp any longer. Plans for the today involve dropping her off and then heading to Mr Floss' work, as they have a family open day; Child 2 is looking forwards to hanging out with his Daddy at work.

All this talk of coffee ... I hate coffee; I think the smell is revolting and the taste is worse. Tea is where it's at.

Jo and Simplicity - good to see some fellow Mayflies on the bus. Congratulations on five months, Simplicity. I just checked my days - turns out I'm 150 today.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I am drinking a D&D coffee I bought for 60 cents. Yay for coffee day! I will be wired all night but I can't turn down 60 cents f or coffee!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBee View Post
This will be my first weekend. We have a group of people we visit and they all drink. That's what we do, hang out by a fire and drink. I won't be going this weekend but it won't be an issue because I also have Bipolar Disorder and they are used to me cancelling. I tell people if they need a definite answer the answer is no because I'm unreliable. I don't work so it's pretty much like every other day. I'll probably try to find a new Netflix series to binge watch
I had my first drinking dream last night where I got mad about something and ran to the store. It was nice to wake up sober.
And I think I'm the only person left who drinks instant coffee
This will also be my first weekend. I don't think I have gone a whole weekend without drinking since my pregnancy (over three years ago)The best thing I can do is stay away from the store --- period. Getting my nails done. Planning on cleaning my apartment. I have neglected it for too long.

Also "Stranger Things" is and excellent Netflix Original series if you haven't checked it out.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the Wedding advice. As I am thinking about the plan I can see that this even will be tricky. Lots of people from my home town will be there. A small town where everyone knows each other, plus my parents and brother. So I need to go. The plan is to have a glass of water in my hand at all times. Could be a gin and tonic to the rest of them. Early exit will be happening. Try to listen to the speeches, maybe one dance and split. Im not even spending the night like the rest of them. If Im sober I might as well jump and truck and drive home. That part will feel good. I can do this. Thanks for the good advise. Im going to reads Dee's link.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

In
Old 09-29-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by U75 View Post
I've always had pretty terrible luck with coffee makers. This one lasted me over four years. That's pretty darn good for me.
Holy buckets, U75, that is a bummer track record with coffee makers. I've had my same no-frills Krups for 20+ years. And it gets a lot of use!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I'm in
Old 09-29-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I had a nice group meeting tonight. My therapist was pleased to see me. I told him I was so tired. He asked why I'm tired? I told him "I spent most of my days trying to sort out other people's problems". He laughed and said "join the club!"
I told the group a little bit about my job and how I'm looking to the Christmas party and how this was the sort of thing that I would have avoided like the plague in the past. Everyone was very encouraging. As I was gathering my things afterwards a lady came over to me and whispered "you have changed so much in the 18 months I've been coming here. Your whole face and manner has changed in leaps and bounds. You seem a lot happier. Well done". I had tears in my eyes and thanked her. She had told us at the meeting that she has just been diagnosed with cancer. At least it's been caught at a very early stage. She said she feels grateful because every woman gets tested about every 2 - 3 years between the ages of about 50 - 65 or so. When she got the appointment she was going to skip it because she just turned 65 and it might have not been caught until it was too late...

I'm at home now trying to figure out how to clear a blocked toilet. Yes I'm frustrated but I'll try to figure something out. I've my rent to pay and I'm not sure if I can afford a plumber...

However I'm feeling thankful in a way...I'm sober and I'm happier so that's good I guess
Old 09-29-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I've been thinking these nights. In about 3 weeks I will be 36. So I'll be a 36 year old secretary living with a group of university students. How did my life end up like this? I mentioned that at the meeting to hoots of laughter. Afterwards one of the people said "you have a wonderful sense of humour which is really starting to shine through".

After I left alcohol behind and all the old worries, fears, anxieties and insecurities, I think my true self is starting to make an appearance. And she's pretty cool
Old 09-29-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LadyBee, Rubythrill and any new Weekenders I missed

congrats on 5 months Sim
Old 09-29-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Tetra, you have a plunger? Some don't know plungers work on the pull stroke, not the push stroke. Push down slowly, pull up quickly.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Trach...You are a little Angel!
I was starting to get worried. I can sleep in peace now that my toilet is pristine again.
Thank you
Old 09-29-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

So riddle me this. I like to think of myself as a strong, smart and sassy woman who is fiercely independent, self reliant and able to take charge and get things done. As a woman in a male dominated industry I have had to face up to the big, bad and ugly and not back down or give in. I learned how to be a badass in skirt and heels.

So why am I cowering in the bedroom and refusing to go to the kitchen for my dinner? Because I saw a mouse in there! It ran across my clean floor and darted behind the fridge. Just the thought of it's beady little eyes and squiggly tail and dirty little butt dropping horrors all over my carpet makes me want to hyperventilate, hurl and then hide under my comforter. I am never going to sleep. Never ever sleep again.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
Trach...You are a little Angel!
I was starting to get worried. I can sleep in peace now that my toilet is pristine again.
Thank you
Aw, you're welcome. Glad it helped.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I am in for the weekend!!
That is a lovely introduction, Dee! And I love the jigsaw analogy, Bug!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good night everyone
I'm feeling a little out of sorts tonight. ..just tired, I think.
See you all in the morning.
Welcome new comers...it's nice to see so many new people here.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

LightningBug, cats are awesome. Just saying.

Almost Friday here. I'm glad of that.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Great to see everyone on board! Been a difficult week for me, but I haven't had a drink in 4 years and 3 months and I'm not going to pick up a drink no-way-no-how!

One more day of hard work tomorrow, then it will be time to relax. Thinking about heading outside of town to a big mountain (actually an extinct volcano) on Saturday morning. Playing it by ear. I'll be rollin' solo and it should be peaceful, which is just what I need.

Keep the sober bus rollin', folks!