Notices

I have admitted defeat.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have admitted defeat.

Here I am, in vegas. Right now. Every time I admit it, I cry. I am a manly man. I haven't cried in probably over 10 years. I don't admit defeat, I used to be an aspiring bodybuilder, an aspiring power lifter. But here I am in sin city. I don't live here. Supposedly I live across the country in a state I had never been to, let alone near, since 2.5 years ago.

I haven't drank much tonight, 4 drinks, and on my 5th. Mainly because I don't know what to do (Don't worry I called my employee assistance program).

I called them. As soon as I tried to admit it, I started to cry. But I finally admitted it. Admitted it out loud to someone. You see I went on a 3 day bender Last week. Tuesday through Thursday night, and took it easy Friday. Which I called in Sick that day.

I told myself I wouldn't do it, as I had been two days sober, and wanted vegas to be a good time. Well Saturday I woke up feeling like crap, and went for a run. Still not 100%, I went into work. Wanted to leave so bad. That night I couldn't sleep, so four shots of vodka later boom done. 4 hours later, up for work. It was hell. Then after work left for Vegas. 12 hours later I finally made it.

Took some Advil pm and down to bed I went. I couldn't sleep. 1 am, went and bought three beers. Tried to go to sleep. I couldn't. Went a got another drink, and when I realized I couldn't wake up for the class and sit through it. I called my EAP.

I had to. I can't live this life anymore. I'm scared though. I work with a small group of people, 2 of whom are roommates that like to drink. One of them which I will have to tell.

I am waiting for a call from my EAP to explain the self referral process. Luckily for me, at this point I have let too many people down to turn back and feel I am out of control.

I have only half of a real friendship in my life that I've made in the past 2.5 years. Other than that, no one within a couple thousand miles that would support me. I do have loving parents, and a great older brother though.

Why me? How did I end up like this? What will my coworkers think of me? Where will my life be a year from? So many questions, so sad, and just want to be optimistic. I just got here, but will be leaving today. I can't partake and the things I need to get away from.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't really feel qualified to advise you, but just wanted to send you a hug x
Old 09-26-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is the first step. See this as a new beginning.

I went to rehab 6 weeks ago because I couldn't do it on my own. I knew I was in deep trouble.

Follow through with your thinking. Get help. Do whatever it takes. You don't ever have to feel this way again. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Panini. Thanks for sharing. I'm right there with ya.

Good stuff coming your way from me to you!
Old 09-26-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome panini! First, don't worry too much about the future and take it day by day. No one knows what the future will look like. I went thru something similar a number of years ago. Had to admit to my emploer I needed help and went to rehab. It didn't stick then but that's a different story. But my life went on and turned out very well. So just get through each day a day at a time.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Panini,

I feel your pain, life can thrown difficult situations at us and sometimes it may look like there's no obvious way out, but if you want the answer to where your life will be one year from now I can give to you: wherever you want it to.

Making the decision to change is by far the most important step, and it looks like you want to make it.

SR will help you along the way, I recommend you read through some of the stories here, you'll see that it doesn't matter at what state your life is, everything is possible.

You can do this!

P
Old 09-26-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're dealing with stressful stuff. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help, if sobering up was ez none of us would be here! :-) Let us know how it goes. There are a lot of great people here for support.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What a brave move - both making that call and also coming here. One day at a time, one hour at a time x
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The recognition and admittance may have just saved your life.......be grateful. Someday, maybe in a year you'll understand.

You are about to embark on what could potentially be the greatest journey of one's lifetime. Embrace the moment, the change. Accept your circumstances and move forward with honesty, courage and love for others.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Admitting defeat is a powerful step to redemption.

If you're like I was, then what you've been fighting all this time is the truth. That's why when you stop fighting it, it makes you cry - out of relief and fear. Relief because you can stop living in the denial that has been so exhausting to keep up, and fear because without the illusion of the lies you told yourself, where will you find yourself now?

But you don't have to be afraid. If you stay guided by the truth, you will find your way back to something better.

No more lies, no more denial. If you're like I was, then the truth is that alcohol has taken over your life and it will without question destroy you unless you put it down. So put it down and start to rebuild your life... There is a lot of reason for optimism if you do this.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words, and encouragement. It means a lot. It hurts me emotionally to think this is really myself it is happening to. But This has to happen.

How do people act around a recovering alcoholic? Why do I care so much about what people think of me? Im scared to be treated differently when all I want to do is live life to the fullest, but here I am screwing it up.

I picture myself with 1000s of stories down the road. Interesting stories. Ones that people actually want to hear from me. Not the alcoholic stories. The majority I have today. I'm scared of actually succeeding at something so personal though.

I still cry writing this stuff about myself. I'm sorry for letting it out. I'm impatient, and still waiting for my phone call. Hopefully w/in the hour.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post

If you're like I was, then what you've been fighting all this time is the truth. That's why when you stop fighting it, it makes you cry - out of relief and fear. Relief because you can stop living in the denial that has been so exhausting to keep up, and fear because without the illusion of the lies you told yourself, where will you find yourself now?

But you don't have to be afraid. If you stay guided by the truth, you will find your way back to something better.

No more lies, no more denial. If you're like I was, then the truth is that alcohol has taken over your life and it will without question destroy you unless you put it down. So put it down and start to rebuild your life... There is a lot of reason for optimism if you do this.
Thank you.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

[QUOTE=Panini907;6149518] Other than that, no one within a couple thousand miles that would support me./QUOTE]

Probably within walking distance there will be a bunch of alcoholics who have solved the drink problem and are gathering to maintain their sobriety. It will be called an AA meeting, there are probably hundereds each week in that neck of the wood, and they would just love to see you, and they will do anything they can to help.

I like to think of it that I have a couple of million friends, I just haven't met them all yet.

By the way, The best recoveries seem to come from the type of situation you describe. It was certainly that way for me.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Panini. You've done a brave thing and the right thing by reaching out for help. Although they are legitimate concerns please try not to worry what others think of you. In my experience most people are more concerned about their own problems and inadequacies to be overly concerned about what we're doing

I'm sure your EAP will come back to you. As others have said try not to think about the future, just go one step at a time with this.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One Step at a time it is. Definitely the logical thing to do. Once I get home I will reach out for help from meetings within the community.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post

^^^ THIS! Could not have said it better.

Panini....you ended with so many questions that are totally normal and relatable to most if not all of us who quit drinking (or haven't yet). There's a lot I could say here - about how you can change your thinking, deal with these questions and fears- but will just say this: you don't have to address them now, and you don't have to address them in order to stop drinking. THAT, you can choose to do....now.

AA, step one: "we admitted we are powerless over alcohol- that our lives had become unmanageable." Are these two things true? Now sounds like a perfect time for you to go to a meeting; your EAP will hopefully be able to help you, but waiting on anything to get us started just gives us more time to .... keep drinking and keep suffering.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Panini be sure to stick around you don't have to do this alone
Old 09-26-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I don't want to be alone anymore. Thank you
Old 09-26-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Panini....know you are not alone in this. You've taken some big steps toward a better life!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

It is so hard to get those first steps of forward momentum going towards a sober life. We all know. We have all been there. By coming to the realization this morning and doing what you did, you have taken those first tentative steps. Keep building momentum, Panini. You can get there.