Notices

Secret drinking

Old 08-26-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I did not get sober until was honest with myself and others. I let my close friends and family know that I could not drink anymore. I tried many times and the fact was that I never TOLD people because I wanted that out...you know, I could go back to drinking if I wanted to. And guess what, I did. Because I could. It never got better and finally I just let it all out. But I drank in "secret" for a long time before I got sober. I felt horrible. Sneaky. Like I was a bad person etc. You're not a bad person. You are a sick person. And you can get well. But you have to be honest with yourself and others.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Marissah and welcome! You've definitely come to the right place. SR is a wonderful group of helpful and supportive people.

I know all about "secret" drinking. I would tell people I was quitting, and I meant it..but I'd relapse..and then the shame of that led me to become secretive with it. I felt like an awful person for a long time. I still carry some of that with me, but I finally admitted to myself that I can't control my drinking, and the only and best thing I can do is stop. So I did, and I will have 1 month next Thursday. You just have to accept it, and work through it. Learn and read as much as you can here. Stay accountable by posting. If you get cravings or urges, come here for help.
You really can do it if you are ready and stick to it. Wishing you the best!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Originally Posted by finallygotout View Post
Hi marrisah,
I was a secret drinker and I live alone ,talk about crazy,. Glad you are here.
Hahahaha...very good. Very funny.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for all the support. I am happy that I found this site and that everyone here is so honest aND helpful.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Marissah. I agree that just having out here, is a good idea. Maybe talk about your feelings little. You're amongst a group of people who really understand.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html