Notices

Back again

Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back again

I haven't posted here in about six months. I had quit drinking for a couple months late last year and slipped back into an occasional drink. After a month or so it became pretty much everyday and I am pretty sure I didn't miss a day since March or so. Not knee walking drunk, but I looked forward to it everyday- and I was hiding it from my wife. A couple of vacations in the spring and a couple of weeks ago and I would start the day with a Bloody Mary. Family looking at me funny like he sure is drinking a lot.
I've come to the conclusion (again) that I'm not able to take it or leave it- so I've left it.
I am on day three and feel better especially in the morning and in general. After work from about 6pm- bedtime are the times I think about it most (struggle with cravings) It'll get better- just have to remind myself how slippery the slope is and how much better things are (feel better, not hiding things) when I'm not drinking.
Thanks for listening.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back. What's going to change. I ask because this was a previous post:

Originally Posted by KidsEverywhere View Post
So I'm not going to drink starting today. I am excited about the new journey. But here is the rub. I have done this several times. I will quit and generally do fine with it as long as it is a focus. What happens is after a few weeks of not drinking, there will be some occasion that I will tell myself: "you've been fine, there is nothing wrong with having a few drinks". I'll have a few drinks and it is fine. Then a few days later, I'll do it again. Then after a few weeks of drinking a couple nights a week, I'm back to drinking almost every day. Im a moderate drinker- I don't get hammered- 3-5 drinks in an evening. But the problem is, having a few drinks becomes my focus everyday and that isn't good.
If you want this "quit" to stick, you better figure out why you keep repeating the same thing. Taking drinking completely off the table is a serious commitment, one you need to be prepare to support with a lot of work...not merely a decision.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back KidsEverywhere, glad you've made the decision to quit for good and congrats on 3 days.

Have you considered a formal sobriety plan/program of any kind? I "slipped back" into occasional drinking and then every drinking several times too before I finally made the decision to quit for good. Having a structure to my recovery helped quite a bit.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome back. What's going to change. I ask because this was a previous post:

If you want this "quit" to stick, you better figure out why you keep repeating the same thing. Taking drinking completely off the table is a serious commitment, one you need to be prepare to support with a lot of work...not merely a decision.
I honestly don't have a plan aside from taking it a day at a time and finally realizing I'm not able to be casual/ occasional about drinking. I don't want to tell my wife except that I've told her I'm not drinking because I don't want her to know I have been lying about my drinking to her, although I think she suspects I have drank more at times than the number of beers missing from the fridge would indicate.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi
Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back
Old 07-13-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hopefully you can use it as a learning experience and not repeat. If you were able to quit for a couple months, you know what a little sober time feels like. I wish you the best.