Notices

finding my rock bottom

Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

You have to read it in context as Check stated. This portion of the reading is geared towards those who are still wondering if they are an alcoholic. It certainly removes all doubt. If any of us could just have a few drinks and stop, without any discomfort in doing this, we wouldn't be on this board.

Here are the words in Chapter Three:

We do not like to pronounce any individual as an alcoholic, but you can quickly diagnose yourself. Step over to the nearest barroom and try some controlled drinking. Try to drink and stop abruptly. Try it more than once. It will not take long for you to decide, if you are honest with yourself about it. It may be worth a bad case of jitters if you get a full knowledge of your condition.
There are varying degrees of alcoholism so some will take that last sentence and think "oh, no jitters, I must be ok!".

The point is, if you have a drink or two and then just stop how does that make you feel? I never dealt with jitters except for when I had a bad hangover. Even still, how I felt when I had a few drinks and stopped was discomfort. I felt like there was a big hole that couldn't be filled. It wasn't pleasant. It made me irritated. If I couldn't drink until I was plastered there was no point in it.

Anyway, a little thread drift and digression going on here.

effortjoy, I completely get where you're coming from. Every time I quit it was because of a rock bottom. In the beginning it was the realization that I was out of control when I drank. Saying things that shouldn't be said, embarrassing myself. The next time it was because I was becoming an angry drunk and breaking things. The next time it was because I sent an email and was fired a job where the pay was unheard of in this area. Never even had an issue where I was written up or warned prior to. Next it was the impending end to my marriage. Finally, this last time, a DUI and a bad one. Still in the thick of it all and I could have killed someone.

Point being, every rock bottom has a rock bottom and every time it gets worse. Why throw the dice? You're lucky at this point because you don't feel that you've reached that point so you want to keep going until you do?

There are no promises to what that rock bottom will be, it can be death. Do you really want to keep going?