Notices

Hospital Again!

Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just a reminder we have a no medical advice rule.
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Please be mindful we are a peer support group here.

We simply cannot give medical advice. You need to see a medical professional for that.

Thanks for your understanding, guys

Dee
SR
Old 07-09-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Im already taking 10mg of lisiniprol..and that works fine...just didn't take it for the 6 days I was drinking..now Ive got bloody 2 medications when one was working on the BP!
And I never normally get a racing heart..And I DID lay it on thick as well..I told them I had chest pain when I didn't! Cos I know they just dismiss withdrawals
Ive worked my way into a right hole :?
Just have to do that test with the dye when they send for me..there will be no doubt Ill have dodgy arteries..but the ECG and heart x-ray came back fine
Old 07-09-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry what the dole label you as. My mothers neighbour drinks all day everyday and has done for years. She gets ESA longterm no bother. I know people with COPD who have been kicked off it!
Old 07-09-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm overwhelmed just reading your posts, to be honest. It does seem like you need to focus on the advice you're being given. The doctors are telling you to stop drinking, and take medication. The recovery program folks are telling you to stop drinking, and enroll in a full-time program. The "dole" folks are telling you to participate in a job search program, which presumably requires you to stop drinking. It sounds like your priority is to stop drinking and ensure that you are not harmed during detox. Once you complete detox, you need to participate in the job search program to ensure that you have your basic needs met while you participate in a recovery program which accommodates your schedule.

Is it possible that you might be overcomplicating things and creating "noise" to distract from the real issue at hand? I'm sincerely trying to understand and help, so I hope you take it in that spirit.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks luvmygirls,
I have stopped drinking, I am waiting for the recovery program people to get in touch.
I never want to drink again.
I also don't want to take that medication that is making me feel so ill without medical advice about why it's making me feel so ill, which I can't get at the moment. Ive had to stop it. If I am ever able to get in touch with a doctor, I'll be able to explain, as it is, I have no medical people to turn to.
The problem about the dole and the recovery program..is they are not something you can do together.
The dole want 100% of your time from 9till 5 ..5 days a week.
When I start on the recovery program, and that will depend on when they get in touch with me..(it's a waiting game atm).. that will be within hours 9 til 5 Mon to Fri..
Unless I get a sick note from my GP..who atm I cannot even get an appointment for within the next 2 weeks, I will have do what the dole say, NO EXCUSES for not going there..none.
I'm doing the best I can with what Ive got.

There is no "completeing detox"..I've been left to deal with that alone, no one to help apart from 8 hours help I got on day 1 before I was turfed half unconcious out of the hospital as I wasn't in immediate danger of having heart attack anymore haha
I know you are trying to understand..but I don't know what it is you don't understand?
Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

PS I stopped drinking 5 days ago. Im not looking for excuses to drink. I don't want to drink.
I just want to be able to see a doctor, which I can't.
I just want to be able to start the recovery program..which I will have to wait for them to get in touch with me.
I just want a breathing space from the dole to be able to get myself feeling better..which I need a sick note from my elusive GP and previously unwilling GP to do.
I just don't want to take tablets prescribed by a doctor at the hospital that talked to me for 5 minutes that make me feel like I'm dying, unless I can talk to a doctor and see if I am having some sort of allergic reaction to them or not.
I don't think I'm asking for much or complicating things!
Old 07-10-2016, 11:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you get to an AA meeting?
Old 07-10-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi Fripflop, We can't help with the medical stuff, but I do want to say congrats on 5 days sober! You have been through some really scary experiences, and held back by some life stuff, and yet, here you are with almost a week of no alcohol under your belt! You're stronger than you think!

We can listen and support as you find your way to good health. Imagine if you don't get help from the doctor or the job benefits people in a timely manner...what's your plan? I think you can do this! You already know how bad things can be, and how frightening it is to be alone dealing with so much.

So today is day 6, and you are here with us. Good for you! How's your day going?
Old 07-10-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
PS I stopped drinking 5 days ago. Im not looking for excuses to drink. I don't want to drink.
I just want to be able to see a doctor, which I can't.
I just want to be able to start the recovery program..which I will have to wait for them to get in touch with me.
I just want a breathing space from the dole to be able to get myself feeling better..which I need a sick note from my elusive GP and previously unwilling GP to do.
I just don't want to take tablets prescribed by a doctor at the hospital that talked to me for 5 minutes that make me feel like I'm dying, unless I can talk to a doctor and see if I am having some sort of allergic reaction to them or not.
I don't think I'm asking for much or complicating things!
Hi Fripfrop.I've been following your story and really feel for you.You need an advocate to support you at the moment.You have far to much to cope with.Google an organisation named 'Christians against Poverty'~C.A.P.This is an English organisation and available to all,regardless of having a faith etc.They will be your voice when dealing with your catch 22 situations with The Department For Work and Pensions etc.They also nurture a person as a whole,for as long as you need.Much the same as AA indeed do.Take care and stay close to SR.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Hi Fripflop, We can't help with the medical stuff, but I do want to say congrats on 5 days sober! You have been through some really scary experiences, and held back by some life stuff, and yet, here you are with almost a week of no alcohol under your belt! You're stronger than you think!

We can listen and support as you find your way to good health. Imagine if you don't get help from the doctor or the job benefits people in a timely manner...what's your plan? I think you can do this! You already know how bad things can be, and how frightening it is to be alone dealing with so much.

So today is day 6, and you are here with us. Good for you! How's your day going?
Thanks JK. The last couple of days haven't been so bad, after 2 nights of no sleep whatsoever Thurday and Friday night, my daughter and grandson visited me and stayed overnighht last night, and I slept like a baby. I feel a little better physically, I stopped taking those scary tablets the doctor gave me 2 days ago and so the weakness and dizziness and confusion I had from them went.
My daughter is a nurse (as is one of my sons) and she kept checking my pulse , on and off..much to my annoyance haha..as that was what the tablets were meant to be for, to slow down my heartrate..but my pulse rate was perfectly normal!
You are right, it's been very very scary the last almost week!!
I don't think it's been strength kept me off the drink, it's been pure fear.
But I now have a newfound desire to be as healthy as I can and have some respect for my body!
My plan is to start a proper healthy life style tomorrow. Have been reducing my cigarette smoking...give up day is tomorrow.
Have thrown out all proccessed food in the house and bought only good, healthy fresh stuff..
Have dug out all my meditation stuff and spiritual stuff I used to be into years ago...before all the drinking took over, when I knew how to keep my mind calm and balanced, before drink became the "easy option" for relaxation.
Will bide my time, day by day, until I can get to see the doctor and the alcohol people. Just try to get myself together as a human again ha
Thank you again..your post was very encouraging to me
Old 07-10-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Can you get to an AA meeting?
There is one not far away tomorrow sugarbear..I was thinking of going but I'm still a little fragile, I'm scared of hearing peoples horror stories , as I have one of my own going on right now...but I might if I feel up to it
Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jojay View Post
Hi Fripfrop.I've been following your story and really feel for you.You need an advocate to support you at the moment.You have far to much to cope with.Google an organisation named 'Christians against Poverty'~C.A.P.This is an English organisation and available to all,regardless of having a faith etc.They will be your voice when dealing with your catch 22 situations with The Department For Work and Pensions etc.They also nurture a person as a whole,for as long as you need.Much the same as AA indeed do.Take care and stay close to SR.
I will do that Jojay, I have never heard of this organisation..but I certainly need some friends now!
I will get in touch with them tomorrow...thank you so much for taking the time to post to me about them
Old 07-10-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

There are online SMART meetings seemingly every evening. All you have to do is sign up, log in and be able to listen.

That might be an option if you don't feel well enough to get to an AA meeting and want to start learning and practising cognitive behavioural skills sooner rather than later.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thats a good idea Theadore! Do you know what time UK time?...love the name you use by the way haha, me and thiamin meet every morning these days!
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Oh, your post made me smile! You got this!

And you have a grandbaby...a natural reward for getting healthy and sticking around ��(I have 3 grandsons)

You have most likely already gone through the worst of the worst. The no sleep is common and horrible! It will pass as your body heals. One thought for you...be kind to yourself. I read that you are giving up alcohol and cigarettes, and going on a best foods diet and calming exercises routine - all at the same time. These are all perfect, but staying sober may take all of your attention for a bit. And that's ok. Ice cream is a wonderful healer. Lol.

Day 6 is done. Good for you! Do it again tomorrow
Old 07-10-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Your posts make me smile too JK, they are so positive.
I have 2 grandbabies, and the thoughts of dying and leaving them early, due to something as avoidable as drinking, suddenly filled me with horror!
I am awake all night again, but I am fingers crossed the worst of the physical withdrawals are over.
The hospital doctor did say, giving up smoking could wait a couple of weeks, as the important thing at the moment is not to drink ..again...ever! So what you are saying makes sense...if I find it too hard with the smoking, I'll just keep it cut down until I feel better able to tackle it full on.
With the healthy eating...I am well prepared to "slip" haha....but theres a shop next door that is open from 7am until 11pm and sells ice-cream, crisps chocolate etc and an all night garage up the street that does the same...so am not really stranding myself without if my body starts protesting about the sugar embargo haha
Infact that was half my trouble with the drinking, those place also sell alcohol, the garage 27/7 !
But I am thinking now, if I am determined with the not drinking, it doesn't matter who sells it and what hours (all the supermarkets that are open all night sell it too), it only matters I don't buy it
It's Monday now, had my last drink last Tuesday..so yes do it again today..and I am glad to be doing it...thought I would never get off last bender!!
It's nearly 5am and been light outside for about an hour, and still not tired enough for sleep, well I slept Sat night, that should be enough for the week haha
Thank you for your encouragement
Old 07-10-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I think this is what happened to me this time in withdrawal...the hospital kept asking how many times over the years I had done a withrawal too (100s is the answer)
This time was by far the worst

"Alcohol dependence and alcohol abuse frequently involve drink-ing patterns in which bouts of heavy drinking (i.e., binge drinking)
are interspersed with periods of abstinence. During the binge-drinking episode, the body, particularly the
brain, adapts to the presence of alcohol by compensating for alcohol’s effect on the central nervous system (CNS).

Alcohol has an overall suppressing effect on CNS activity. Accordingly, the adaptation process involves several mechanisms to increase the excitability of nerve cells (i.e.,neurons) in the brain —that is, their ability to become activated in response to signals from other neurons.
When the alcohol is eliminated from the body during abstinence, this compensatory activation of the CNS remains in effect for several more days, resulting in excessive excitability of the CNS (i.e.,hyperexcitability). This hyperexcitability manifests itself as alcohol withdrawal (AW), with symptoms ranging from tremors and agitation to seizures and delirium tremens.
As a result of the bingeing-abstaining consumption pattern, many alcoholics experience numerous withdrawal episodes during thecourse of their illness (Hillbom 1990).

The severity of AW symptoms can differ widely among alcoholics and even among different withdrawal episodes in the same person. Both the amount of alcohol consumed and the duration of intoxication just before cessation of drinking are important determinants of the severity of a withdrawal reaction. In addition, a history of withdrawal episodes appears to be a critical factor in the intensity of withdrawal symptoms. Accordingly, some researchers have suggested that repeated AW may sensitize a person to subsequent withdrawal episodes. This hypothesis
implies that the severity of withdrawal-related symptoms may increase in a cumulative fashion, with more severe
symptoms becoming evident after years of alcohol abuse and numerous periods of abstinence.
The mechanisms underlying the exacerbation of withdrawal symptoms following repeated withdrawal episodes
are currently unknown. One hypothesis proposes that the phenomenon may result from a “priming” effect, in which each consecutive episode of alcohol exposure evokes stronger compensatory (i.e., withdrawal) responses.
In contrast, Ballenger and Post (1978) have hypothesized that the progressive exacerbation of AW is the anifesta-
tion of a “kindling” mechanism, which has been observed in other neurological conditions. According to this model, it is the repeated experience of AW, rather than repeated alcohol exposure, that underlies the progressive intensification of symptoms.
Although more evidence supports such a kindling mechanism, a priming effect cannot be ruled out.
In fact, the two mechanisms are not mutually exclusive, and both may operate in the final expression of the phe-
nomenon (Becker and Littleton 1996).

If this hypothisis is true, I would dread to think what another binge and withdrawal would do..probably kill me!
Old 07-10-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

At meetings, people share their experience, strength and hope. People might allude to how things were for them when they were drinking, but what the whole point of AA is, is Recovery. Sharing what we did to get it, and how it does and can help in dealing with life.

I don't think the day ever comes (like the first day sober) where going to a meeting for the first time is easy. At some point, if we want to get better we have to find the willingness to reach outside our comfort zone.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Almost a week! That's awesome!
Don't be too hard on yourself with food yet. If a crisp or a chocolate keeps you from taking a drink, go for it. I did and gained 5 pounds in the first couple weeks but I didn't care. It got me through. I lost those 5 and another 10 and I have 8 months sobriety.
You can do this. Build your toolbox and work your plan. This site is amazing. Use it daily. It has been a huge help in educating me about alcolholism and sobriety. Coming here daily is part of my plan.
Continue posting and stay strong (or scared!)
Old 07-10-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I could never get into AA that much Berry. Some bits I thought were good and useful, but I would never ever do the steps with anyone I met there.
This new therapy I am awaiting on, I think I said before, combines elements of CBT, AA and therapy. I'm a very private person and would , well could never tell anyone who wasn't a professional, bound by confidentiality contract my business.
But I may go there for company, because the times I tried it, I found some of the people there very nice (some not so) but thats like any group of people, some nice some not so.
I am not usually out of my comfort zone in groups of people..just fragile at the moment.
I worked a a barmaid in a busy pub and nightclubs for many many years, (funnily enough, never had a drink problem then) and am or was naturally an extravert (it was the drink made me a loner)
Am also very tired from no sleep apart from the one night this week..
I don't know what was wrong with the group I went to before, but I never heard much strength and hope, just people getting up and moaning what a hard time they were having sober. And trying to outdo each other with their drinking stories.
As I think you said before though..things might have changed there..that wasn't a very good example of a good supportive group then.
But Ive heard other people say, other groups were