Notices

Feel terrified that I can never drink again

Old 06-24-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I can only echo what has been said, the first week I experienced anxiety depression it took about 1 month before I was standing firm in recovery.

Eat good, get fresh air, exercise if you can, drink a lot of water and just stay in the moment we can only do one day at a time.

stay connected to SR sweetichick
Old 06-24-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's the thought of drinking that terrifies me not the thought of not drinking.
Mountainman
Old 06-24-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I watched alot of movies in the first month, stayed on this site, ate sweets, and just said "not drinking today" - it got me thru that first month.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wow I didn't expect that many messages of support. Many thanks to each and everyone of you. I'll try and keep it in the day. Distraction is a good idea if it comes down to getting through a craving. I actually slept well last night for the first time so thats helped. It was nice to be told I'm halfway through my first week. I hadn't thought of it like that. It helps so much to have SR to read as well.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Earlier attempts to stop, cut down, moderate this was a stumbling block for me - I could not really come to terms with never drinking wine again because I was in love with the whole idea of wine.
I've done a lot of reading about alcohol, alcoholics etc and ultimately logically now understand that I have a physical disease and that alcohol is 100% certain to ruin my life and then kill me ... And there is no way I could choose that. That for me was how I could come to terms with the idea of forever. I still need a plan and many days thoughts creep into my head but deep down I now know what I need to do.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Eventually it all got easier and My thoughts shifted from "oh, woe is me, I can never drink again" to "how great it is I don't have to drink any more." That's when I started feeling free.
That's how I felt too - free at last. I'd been a slave to the bottle and finally was free. No more waking up hating myself and feeling horrible.

I have never woken up sober and feeling good, wishing I had drank the night before.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I have never woken up sober and feeling good, wishing I had drank the night before.
Ha! That's a good one!

Number of times I woke up hung over and miserable, wishing I hadn't been drunk the night before: 5,000+

Number of times I woke up sober, wishing I'd been drunk the night before: 0

Seems pretty simple when you put it that way, doesn't it?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Just commit to never drinking now? You wouldn't drink now, would you? Of course not, that seems pretty simple. How about now? Good? OK then.

How about now? Nah, me neither. Now lets pick something to do, to make, to try, and go do it.

It really doesnt't have to be more complicated than this.
This Because whatever time it is, it's always now. Past and future are just ideas in our heads. Though, I'll admit, they are persistent....
Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've been listening to a couple videos on youtube and that was one of the topics I think is terrifying for all of us is just the sheer thought of not having the booze there can be really overwhelming, but it takes such strength to finally say enough is enough.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
I agree with the other posters. I remember being terrified of not drinking again. I thought wine was my savior -- from emotions, from boredom, from making hard decisions about my life. Now I feel free from alcohol and its chains. No more worrying if I have enough for tonight or if the grocery clerks will remember me or if my kid has practice. Not drinking is truly liberating.

You're in the hardest part -- the first week or so. And you've done great so far! Just keep going, it DOES get easier.
Oh my - that brings it home to me! Yay I will never having to worry about what time the shop closes and if there will be a different girl behind the counter, from when I last went in 2 hours ago and bought a bottle, with the intention of lasting all night .............
Old 06-25-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Catch 22

It is not easy. We all are there and battling. But every day without a drink is such an achievement. And only us battling with the demon can understand that. Good luck, you are not alone in this quest.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It does get easier and your sobriety muscle gets stronger with each sober day. Stick with it. In my case, fear at the thought of never drinking again turned into immense relief very quickly. I can't describe the feeling of freedom and liberation in knowing it never has to control my life again. I also found great comfort in the thought that it's as simple as "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind". No matter what. Getting there one day at a time. Sometimes one hour at a time.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Just checking in on you today sweetichick. Hope all is well with you.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

18 months in. I spent the first few months hour to hour, sometimes minute to minute. If the craving or the inner voice got too bad, I would put a song on itunes (find a five minute or more one) and force myself to play guitar to it. Sometimes I just stared at a clock to watch five minutes go and then congratulate myself for not doing it.
In a way I am lucky - it was easy to rid my house of all alcohol, and it has been alcohol free ever sense. Where I live, you can't buy liquor in a corner store or at the grocery. We have government licensed stores and I would have to make a real trek to a full on alcohol emporium which makes it easier to stay away.
I still have moments. Lots of them. I am a bit too self congratulatory on 18 months and have many thoughts creep into my head that I'm ok now and if I can drink nothing I can certainly be moderate. Luckily, I can still draw on the awful years of drinking experience, and the previous two times I got sober and proud only to fall flat again.
I make no promises about forever - still too scary. I live but one day at a time and do my best (not perfect) to not worry about tomorrow. I still have days where I wallow in yesterday and I'm working hard to overcome that too.
This is work. The hardest kind. It takes daily mindfulness and awareness. I am still coming to a better place in my mind.
You can do this. Make your environment as comfy as possible. See people that are easy to see. Sitting and wallowing about not drinking is probably one of the worst things (unless you feel ill, in which case you may not wish to be surrounded). Distractions help here and there.
Thank you for giving me a moment to remember my early recovery. I would hate to have to do it again.
Remember that every journey here started with a Day 1, a Day 2, and a Day 3. Then our days kept adding. These are great days. Make a gratitude list of everything that will go better today because you are not drinking.
Peace and hugs
Old 06-25-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
Just checking in on you today sweetichick. Hope all is well with you.
Hey 7775, Thanks for your message. Today is the start of day 5. I actually felt a lot better yesterday mentally anyway and at least I can get out of the car now without feeling like I am dragging myself out. The physical cravings have really dropped off and I'm not allowing myself to entertain the thought of a drink. Day 4 used to be a trigger for me as at one stage I was on a four day cycle of getting drunk every 4 days. I thought that was a safe level to continue drinking at. How dumb is that? So I feel great to have made it through to day 5. How are you going?
Old 06-25-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks to each and every one of you for your replies. Your ideas and thoughts are really helping me mentally to get around the thought of continued sobriety. Its great to know you are all supporting me.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Your doing really well x x x It does get easier, hard to see when its early days I know but hang in there hun, im at a stage in my recovery now where Id rather drink my own pee that put that poison down my neck. Id rather be sober for the rest of my life now
Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey Blueberry, Thanks for your message. Its the end of day 5 and I managed to make it. I had to drive past the pub today and was surprised that it set me off. I thought I was past that already. I'm feeling half normal again. Time goes slowly but trying to fill it in.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You can do this, Sweetichick! one foot in front of the other, and celebrate yourself with each step forward.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

feeling terrified

As others have noted, thinking about taking things "one day at a time" can make staying sober look like less of a big hurdle. Also of course, be on the alert for your "triggers", and eating well and maybe more often can help with any cravings. That seems to work for me. Most importantly for you and all the others of us who struggle with this disease, Do Not Give Up!