Notices

Hard to admit

Old 06-02-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Pearl,

Great bio of your drinking background.

Interesting and sad. Would make an excellent movie.

Probably never see that one though. It would likely dent the profits and taxes made by the Giants and government.

Technology has saved me from a similar fate as your elders. My mind was getting warped and I was prepared to blame my job. Long story.

Now clean, things are clearing up immensely. I'm still a bit jacked up, but I fake it pretty well as far as I can tell.

Stay clean. It gets better every day.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you, D. It was nice to share the history of my family and addiction because it has felt like a cloud over me since I came to understand it. No one in my family has recovered from their addiction. But from what I can see, no one ever really tried. It’s like they just said, “welp, this is what I am, who I am, what I was destined to be and that’s that”. “That’s that” isn’t good enough for me.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're stepping up and doing what you need to do to not be like your family members who gave up.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Right on. A moment of clarity and honesty with yourself.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hi PL.

Hope you do manage to get to the meeting, if not, maybe some of the speaker recordings could help you dig in while you're sorting out your child care.

5500+ AA Speakers & Tapes - Organized & Mobile-Friendly!

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB x
Thanks for the link. I am not attending AA meetings, but I really appreciate the link. Have listened to a couple already.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi pearlady, welcome! Glad you are here ☺
Old 06-02-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So glad you're here. Welcome.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

In my marriage I didn’t drink much the 4 years we were together- mostly because he drank too much and someone had to be sober.
I could completely relate to that one Pearlady. I too was always the sober, responsible one in my relationships.

Like Tom said, welcome to the Double Winners club, there are quite a few of us on SR and congratulations on making an excellent healthy decision for yourself.

We are here for you

Old 06-03-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Made it to AA looking forward to having a sponsor

I made it to AA last night and I was so glad that I did. I had been a few times in the past but now I'm ready to make it a habit. It was a nice crowd and I even hard the courageous to speak and get a white chip. Some nice ladies approached me and encouraged me. There was one beautiful older lady that had been sober for 41 years. Inspiring!!

I have phone numbers and I want to ask for a sponsor but I really don't know how to decide whom I should ask. How did you all decide?

Thanks again for all the support.

BTW, what does Double Winners Club mean to those that mentioned it?
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It is important to find a good sponsor that fits well with you. I'm still looking. God will send the right one at the right time. You can ask someone to be your temporary sponsor. Or ask one or two of the nice ladies out for a coffee so they and you can get to know each other.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Double winner are, i believe, people who are in recovery from Dual addictions, or maybe go to AA and AlAnon or whatever.

Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like a good meeting.

I would suggest collecting number and using them - whoever ends up being your sponsor, it's always good to have a bank of people in your support network. It's especially nice if you get to the stage where you have other shared interests outside AA and can go give things a try together, or go for coffee of a meal or whatever. I love having some sober friends to go out with.

As far as choosing my sponsor, I watched and listened and there were a number of ladies who I believed had the kind of sobriety I want for myself. In the end I went for the lady who seemed the strictest out of them, as I know I sometimes need a bit of tough love and to be called out on my own BS and excuses. Funny, she's not someone I would see myself having a typical adult friendship with. She's more of a matriarch figure, although she can be quite loving in her own way, and I do enjoy a good natter with her, and can tell her anything and know it will never go any further.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am glad you went and liked it.
A double winner is someone who is in recovery for both Alcoholism and Codependency.
Here is an old thread I started way back where other DW share their experience strength and hope.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...loved-one.html
Old 06-03-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Carlotta;5982428]I am glad you went and liked it.
A double winner is someone who is in recovery for both Alcoholism and Codependency.
Here is an old thread I started way back where other DW share their experience strength and hope.

Carlotta,

Thank you for sharing the thread. Finally, I understand myself. This is so important to my sobriety... understand my codependency.