Notices

No Complacency Weekender May 20th

Old 05-21-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Weather is bad so making a roast dinner instead of BBQ! Little sis paying a visit.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Sao, I can't say that I get nauseous while looking at that building but it isn't appealing. It looks like something that won't hold up well and will look like run down in ten years. It's probably very expensive to live there though. What's the name of the building? We could look inside online.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Good morning, all!

Everyone is so productive today! And in good spirits. Nice!

I wonder what I'll do today.

Coffee in bed to start.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Doing good L brain. My dad drove in to town today to pay a visit and see his grandkids. My son had a surgery yesterday so hes enjoying the extra ice cream and popsicles. Hes lapping it up
Old 05-21-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

well Sao - one you don't have to get frustrated over is having to own socket sets in SAE AND metric. Refrigerator light finally died. I didn't realize how important a refrigerator light is. OKAY - amana uses four cap screws to hold the cover -- and also another part that surprises you when it falls down. 9/32 too big, next one too small, 6 MM too small, 7 mm too big - am I losing it? I finally find 1/4 that works... so while I'm at it, the dryer light has been out for --- ever. Why not replace that. Simple phillips/xtip screwdriver. But wait --- a 10 watt xmas light looking thing. So I call home depot - apparently you need to have at least a 40 IQ to work at home depot. Finally, after I get the gal that keeps telling me they are in aisle 11 to transfer me, I get this in a very low voice - like he's a drug dealer or something, "Kitchen." That was it. I explain what I'm looking for and, get ready... aisle 11... Listen pal before I drive up there I need to know if you have part 22002263 for a whirlpool dryer.....
finally NO DRYER light, but they have refrigerator lights. I need that, can do without the dryer light - esp since it is 8 fking dollars on amazon and other suppliers more! With shipping 12 bucks --- I don't really need a dryer light...

yeah, first world problems the SAE/metric thing has dazzled me for years. At least they are now including both KPH and MPH on our car speedometers... in case I get lost and end up in Canada.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

thanks for the check in charlie

Last edited by LBrain; 05-21-2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: charlie
Old 05-21-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ktmbuurger570 View Post
Man these days get more and more lonely. I really need to get back to work. Now it's a "long " weekend here. Three more days of what the heck am I going to do for three days.?
Hey KTM. Lonely isn't good for us. And I'm pretty sure it's a common thread that runs through life for a good 90 percent of us.

In early sobriety, I forced myself out of the house with little routines to replace my bad old routines. It helped a lot. Even just going to a movie or a bookstore or for a walk helps.

It gets better.

Your part of BC sounds lovely. There's a running joke here on SR that if someone had a magic wand or won the lottery, we'd organize a huge sober bash and bring everyone in. Sounds like you could be the host! Or Ken, since blueberry picking in Maine sounds like a bit of heaven.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

That's funny Brain. The SAE/metric thing also drives me crazy. It all depends on where things were manufactured I guess. It does seem wild to me that the USA won't get out of the dark ages and use the metric system.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Thanks Venecia.
I did get out with my brother and cousin yesterday so that was good. A great lunch in the sun on a patio. It was a really nice sunny afternoon. This morning the rain and gloom has settled into the valley.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Decided to skip my meeting. Got busy doing stuff outside and just kind of ran out of time. I would have had to rush to get there and I'm not in a rushing mood today. I'll try to hit one later today. Got flowers planted and flower beds weeded. Anyone want some mint?? I planted some in a pot a few years back, and it migrated into one of my flower beds. It's very intrusive. I rip most of it out every year. Having some is good, having it take over is not. I have things growing where they shouldn't, and don't have things growing where they are supposed to. Kind of a mess.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Good movie weather?

So much to catch up on this morning. I awakened at 5:30 to another day of feeling like a cement-head. Dang this cold. It's actually gotten worse. But I somehow managed to fall back asleep, which is nearly unheard-of for me.

Marty, I always liked Chicago. When I was on vacation, I watched the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame induction, which included them and Cheap Trick. It's weird to see how some bands age gracefully while others don't and I cannot identify what the distinction is. Somehow Chicago seemed old and obsolete, Cheap Trick less so. And yet both of the bands delivered really great performances.

Sao, that picture of the dog broke my heart. I'd give anything to have a dog; it's hard to see them neglected.

Behan, roast dinner sounds yummy. Kind of like Melina's "precious" from a few days ago.

I'm decidedly non-productive at the moment but time to reverse that. I'm headed to the farmers market to pick out some flowers for my balcony and plant them later. A fun adulting task.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Just got an ad to visit Mississippi and a web cash store lol!! I'm guessing cause of jens southern trip coming up and the cash comment I made earlier...creepy!

In other news,I just snapped for no real reason at someone I love very much and now I feel like crap. I'm not very good at apologizing either. I never can just keep it at I'm sorry. I always add some stupid qualifier at the end like an explanation will make it ok. Gotta practice just saying I'm Sorry.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
...holds the key

On mint...that happened to me too Marty! It was everywhere ugh! Smelled good though!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Farmers markets always make everything better, Ven! Maybe it'll somehow help your lingering cold!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Don't be hard on yourself, Brynnie. We are works in progress.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

All that mint ... we could have an SR tabouli contest!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Brynnie- "I'm sorry. I was a jerk for snapping. I'm sorry for that and I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I'll work on my tone and my attitude."

Works almost every time! Xoxoxo

So cool that a bunch of you are gardening! You inspired me. I need to do some stuff with the beehives, I got mold in the feeders from dead bees sitting in simple syrup. It's on my conscience so I'm going to flush all that out and give them fresh syrup in clean feeders.

And then I'll hit my garden on the way home and see if any weeds need to be removed.

For the newbies to this thread, that's what we do here! We see how each other is living life sober, and we jump on an activity to get our sober legs.

Ktm, you should see what happens when we get intrigued by a flavor or recipe... It spreads like wildfire through Weekenders and we have a great time discussing it.

And then there's people like Jen Bodhi... She didn't know what to do with herself at all when she first stopped drinking, so she'd pick something that someone was doing on the thread and exactly do it.

We are learning to live sober and we help each other.

I would not have gotten out of Bed Island if I hadn't read a few ppl here are in their gardens! It gave me an oomph like, I wanna play outside, too, now! And come back and talk about it with you guys!

Early sobriety is confusing and sometimes lonely. It's good to know I have ppl here that help me to adult and to figure out how to do the dang thing called life.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

I look forward to coming here and seeing what everyone is up to. Being single,living alone and not working for a few weeks I tend to spin my wheels trying to figure out what to do with my time.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ktmbuurger570 View Post
I look forward to coming here and seeing what everyone is up to. Being single,living alone and not working for a few weeks I tend to spin my wheels trying to figure out what to do with my time.
I'm in the exact same boat, my friend.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Wheel spinning can be dangerous for us newly minted sober people. Early on I was afraid to not fill up every minute with "stuff." It's better now, but I made sure to keep as busy as possible in those first weeks/months. I wasn't working, either, and felt like I had few friends. Coming here was a HUGE help to me. As were meetings. I did (still do) a lot of hiking. Going to movies. Reading. Gardening. Housework. Ok I don't do much housework anymore. Anyway - what you choose to do to fill time doesn't have to spectacular fun stuff, just stuff.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Sao, I can't say that I get nauseous while looking at that building but it isn't appealing. It looks like something that won't hold up well and will look like run down in ten years. It's probably very expensive to live there though. What's the name of the building? We could look inside online.
Ruby, it is called the Atlas Building situated on Old Street, the links are mostly commercial residential sales so i won't post it but a quick online search will find it and your right, it is really expensive

LB those camera signs are definitely Big Brother - they are speeding cameras, really optimistic because no one in central London ever gets a chance to exceed 30MPH

Also metric/imperial is a pain, you would think the world would have sorted it out by now.

PS if it as Japanese fridge it may use JIS or Japanese Industry Standard screws which need JIS screwdrivers

Pps fridge lights bother me, I mean how can you tell if they've really switched off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160521_175303.jpg (30.4 KB, 44 views)