Notices

Had an enlightening meeting today...

Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had an enlightening meeting today...

Had an enlightening AA meeting today...

Had a few so far...

First one, I was told that the things I had experienced really didn't happen..(No, I am fairly certain I lost 2 houses in 6 years)...Then told today that I better believe in God, because if I don't , then I am efffed... < termed exactly..

Ask a question , and the answer is always "Read the book"...

Forgive me , but I am a fact based evidence sorta fella gearing towards science ..With God as a guide..

I am not bashing, as AA has done great things. But when i am told that God is the ONLY way , then that pretty much squashes any advances in the science arena,,,Soberincuse is probably one good example of science based recovery methods..

I will be seeing a Psych to address any underpinning causes that had driven my urge to drink...And I know there are plenty in place.

Again , not a thrashing session..More like an observation session...

Prayers sent to ya'll..And if ya'd all send one back my way...We'll get through this...
Old 05-21-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try other meetings. They all have a different feel. I live ina very religious area so it's hard to find meetings where God/Jesus aren't the higher power of choice
Old 05-21-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm pulling for you.... Quiet prayers for all of us.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God and Jesus are the higher power of choice for guidance, but for this pile sittin here typin this, it's gonna take some science first and foremost...To many underlying issues that could use some professional intervention...If you have an urge to drink , AA is fine...I have no urge to drink...I need my ADHD and GAD to get managed, so when an AV does sneak up, I am sure meetings will help..
Old 05-21-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I like the idea of a twelve-step program to deal with the past, handle the present, and prepare for the future. I think my drinking messed up some very complex parts of my brain, and AA seems to have a program for dealing with it. I go to two meetings a week--one is agnostic and the other is prayer-based.
"Some of the most important brain systems impaired in addiction are those in the prefrontal cortex that regulate social cognition, self-monitoring, moral behavior and other processes that the AA-type approach seems to target." (4 March 2009; Neuroscience: "Rethinking rehab", Jim Schnabel, Nature 458).
Old 05-21-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

NF,

I think you and me are similar in a way as to God.

The HP thing is AA's foundation as you know. They will still try to help you, but it will be like a Harley Davidson mech working on a Metric...or something..

My grown step daughter and step son are both atheist. Their Dad is an atheist.

I am baptised both Catholic and Christian. Just how it went. My Mom is a JW.

My belief is if a person does not believe in God, the other evil power will reek havoc on their life. They will never find peace of mind.

The mystery of faith offers proof only in perceptive miracles. No more...spreading of the sea....yet.

I live today, alcohol and anguish free, saved only by God's grace. Step 1 of the 12...I think.

I believe in evolution as well....because I believe we humans are imperfect...there fore our understanding of God is imperfect...Hense the cruel and unusual things done in the name of God...i.e. War and Torture etc.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I guess my point is that using biofeedback technology , among other things such as improved MRI enhancements, there are a lot of ways to accomplish improvements more efficiently...There are data stores containing terabytes of untouched data on this subject, that once managed, can truly trigger some extraordinary healing potential. Maybe turn 2 years of recovery into 2 months. The data just needs to be better managed and analyzed, then applied..I see this stuff happen every day where I work...Big things are coming around the corner on many levels, and this is one area that hopefully we will see more attention...
Old 05-21-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the meetings where I live, most people's higher power is not a Christian God or Jesus. In AA there is a lot of God talk, but it refers to a Higher Power of your own understanding. Some people use G.O.D. Group Of Drunks, so their HP is the fellowship itself. For others God could be Nature, Love or whatever. It's more the acknowledgement that we are not the HP here. We can't change everything - only our own actions and reactions. No matter how much energy and though we put into changing others, we can't. The acceptance that this is so really does help us stay sober, as it helps us stop raging about the world and having tantrums about things that aren't fair.

When I first arrived I couldn't understand all the whys and wherefores of each little part of the program. But then I still had washing machine head and couldn't figure lots of stuff out. But luckily I could, do look round the room and see that this stuff was working for these people, and I could also see that my best thinking wasnt actually doing me much good - in fact as the years went on, I was just getting myself deeper and deeper in the more. So, I made the decision to trust the program. Now the little nuances and catchphrases, and steps make so much sense. And I am sober.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mr. beer, have you been to other AA groups because the one you went to sounds like a stinker to me. The pat answer is "read the book." You should have replied "evidently you haven't read it either."
Old 05-22-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

You always have choice there is secular based recovery options ?
Old 05-22-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I'll be looking for some secular options avail. I am going to let my therapist and psych try to help me get this GAD under control..I am so friggin tired but my mind will not shutoff...My brain has wore itself off.. It's like an overheated or shorted ECM in a Dodge Jeep Chrysler, keeps tripping the ASR. Not sure if my CMP or CKP is busted , but it's one of the 2..(for anyone whyo knows cars will get that analogy")..
Old 05-22-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Nofear, you have to find what works best for you.

It's too bad that you had the experience that you did at the meeting. Unfortunately, not all meetings are the same and sometimes it takes visiting a few to find one that's for you.

I've read some experiences people have had on this board about a meeting and I was in a bit of disbelief. I know that when I was negative about a meeting it's usually because I was unwilling to accept what I was hearing. No, that was somewhat proved wrong at a meeting that I attended last Thursday. I would have never believed it had I not witnessed what I did for myself. Finally, proof positive that there are situations in meetings that aren't always good.

Unless you've already made up your mind don't give up until you try another meeting at some other location.

Prayers right back atcha!