Notices

Hi

Old 04-25-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Okay- I'm a user of alcohol- plus on 1mgs of xanax a day which I don't overuse. Just take as needed. I have a heavy drinking husband. So we're just drinking buddies now. I need help. I start drinking at around 5 and quit around this time- 9ish. I start with two glasses of wine and then switch to gin and tonic. I am starting to think of entering a rehab facility now that my kids are in college.
Anyone have any words of advise?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What's your husband think? I'm guessing you can't quit on your own? I think rehab is always a good idea to give you tools to stay sober. Good luck to you.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm only on day 38 but identify with your drinking pattern - drink from dinner to bed, drink with spouse.

I have been hanging on to the "I am not going to drink today" mantra, and the faith that things will begin to improve if I don't drink today.

I love to read, so I purchased some new books which will help distract me during the prime former drinking time. What do you like to do that isn't drinking? Maybe you plan on doing more of that - whatever it is. Something you actually really like to do that isn't drinking, something pleasurable to you.

Stock up on some flavored water or teas so you can have something in your hand in the evenings. It helps!

If you can take long walks, do it. That helps me clear the cobwebs and just breathe.

You can do this!
Old 04-25-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best advice I can give you was given to me, here, by CarolD, one of our moderators. She said that in order to stay sober you must want to be sober more than you want to drink. Whether you go to rehab or not, the desire to get sober must come from you.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Least - you gotta want it. Coming here is evidence that you are certainly going in the right direction. Make no mistake about it, sobriety is the right decision for anyone who's reached this stage of pondering. Life can be so much more than just drinking on the couch. I know because I left the couch almost 4 years ago and I've been amazed!

Rehab is a great and responsible choice. I highly recommend it. I myself went (with deep reservations) and it indeed gave me the tools I needed and the confidence to begin to live a sober life. Welcome!!!!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family!
Sounds like you have good motivation and I agree with Sombrero that rehab is a great investment in yourself and to lay a good foundation for sobriety. It's likely something you wouldn't regret.
In the meantime working on a sobriety plan is a great start
Old 04-25-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Chiklet

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html