Notices

Sober without AA?

Old 04-10-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

congrats airwick on 2 years!! I def can relate to why SR is a great alternative because I don't have the self consciousness to worry about. So glad to know that this site alone has worked for you!! Coming here and posting everyday is a commitment I am willing to make! Thank you for sharing

Originally Posted by airwick View Post
Sober a bit over 2 years, only use SR and could not have done it without them I am somewhat of a person who "sticks to themselves" With SR I can speak when I want to be heard,
I can voice my opinion without fear of judgment. I can just "read" and not even post!

What ever works for you! This type of interaction works for me.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have those moments where I have said that is it I am done but relapsed. But what went wrong is that I kept having false notions on what keeps you sober. A lot of people were telling me that there is no hope aside from AA hence when I didn't go to a meeting or just didn't feel comfortable at one I felt that something was wrong with me and there was no hope. It is good to know that there is not only ONE way. I think saying that there is only one way to stay sober is as detrimental as saying there is only one religion!!

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I've used SR more than any other method. At separate times, I've also used SMART, AVRT, and Women For Sobriety. Later on, I used IOP followed by individual counseling.

I think the most important thing to note is that I finally got sober when I meant business. It was my desire for change, my sustained motivation, and the various means of support and tools such as 'urge surfing,' distraction, 'playing the tape through,' and so on, all used in conjunction that worked for me.

Personally, I believe what worked for me was the desire for a change followed by action. This required confidence in my ability to change (and some faith), along with the tools to change (all the aforementioned programs/methods/tools).
Old 04-10-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by skywalker91 View Post
Wow some awesome suggestions! I will head over to Amazon now
We have an excellent Book List in our Sticky:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 04-10-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Can't thank you enough! This helps give me a whole new outlook on recovery :]

Originally Posted by Anna View Post

Old 04-10-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Was there any book in particular that helped you the most?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am doing the crash course on AVRT now it's great!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi skywalker, I can't boast any kind of long-term sobriety -- I've got almost 6 months under my belt (though that's long to me!) -- but I did it without AA. I hated AA. I find several of the 12 steps offensive, especially the one that challenges an alcoholic's moral fiber. But that's just me; I know AA has helped many people. I went to a non 12 step inpatient rehab that was focused on the "3 Principles." One book I highly suggest is "The Serenity Principle....Finding Inner Peace In Recovery" by Joe Bailey. An excellent read. There's also a visualization technique I use when I'm having cravings. I "play the tape" from beginning to end if I'm tempted to have a drink. I know one drink won't be enough, so I'd have two. And then three. After that I'd probably say screw it and have the rest of the bottle. Then get in an argument with a family member. And on and on.... it really works!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I will check out that book thank you!

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
Hi skywalker, I can't boast any kind of long-term sobriety -- I've got almost 6 months under my belt (though that's long to me!) -- but I did it without AA. I hated AA. I find several of the 12 steps offensive, especially the one that challenges an alcoholic's moral fiber. But that's just me; I know AA has helped many people. I went to a non 12 step inpatient rehab that was focused on the "3 Principles." One book I highly suggest is "The Serenity Principle....Finding Inner Peace In Recovery" by Joe Bailey. An excellent read. There's also a visualization technique I use when I'm having cravings. I "play the tape" from beginning to end if I'm tempted to have a drink. I know one drink won't be enough, so I'd have two. And then three. After that I'd probably say screw it and have the rest of the bottle. Then get in an argument with a family member. And on and on.... it really works!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for sharing it is really good to hear from those that have been sober with various alternative methods it shows that at the end of the day it is about an individual's willingness and if someone suggests to you there is no other way but their way it can do a lot of harm to the individual and society as a whole. Love you all!
Old 04-11-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by skywalker91 View Post
Was there any book in particular that helped you the most?
The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav was the book that did it for me. Gary teaches us that we can connect with our inner self, our soul, so we can live the best life possible. I knew I was going to need more than just stopping drinking and this book gave me the direction I needed.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Awesome!

The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav was the book that did it for me. Gary teaches us that we can connect with our inner self, our soul, so we can live the best life possible. I knew I was going to need more than just stopping drinking and this book gave me the direction I needed.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have never been to an AA meeting. I have been sober 2 years and 3 months. Went to an addiction counselor for a while. Got in shape and running has been my foundation.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

2 years is wonderful!! Congrats I really think getting into fitness can save lives so glad to hear that it helped you

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
I have never been to an AA meeting. I have been sober 2 years and 3 months. Went to an addiction counselor for a while. Got in shape and running has been my foundation.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

What do you do for social activities?

Originally Posted by Ethos23 View Post
Old 04-11-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Just ordered it on amazon! Can't wait.