Notices

Sober without AA?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober without AA?

Hey everyone I am have tried AA once when I was 23 and now at 24 I am still not thinking it is for me. For those that have been sober long term without AA please share your tools. I have received some backlash before about not giving AA a fair chance but I really want to hear from those that have led successful sober lives without AA and how they did it
Old 04-10-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got (and stayed) sober with weekly counseling with my addiction counselor and daily visits to SR. I no longer see the counselor but still come here every day to read and post. I have six years and four months and am feeling very good about my sober life.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow least! Very nice to hear that. Six years is beautiful.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've used SR more than any other method. At separate times, I've also used SMART, AVRT, and Women For Sobriety. Later on, I used IOP followed by individual counseling.

I think the most important thing to note is that I finally got sober when I meant business. It was my desire for change, my sustained motivation, and the various means of support and tools such as 'urge surfing,' distraction, 'playing the tape through,' and so on, all used in conjunction that worked for me.

Personally, I believe what worked for me was the desire for a change followed by action. This required confidence in my ability to change (and some faith), along with the tools to change (all the aforementioned programs/methods/tools).
Old 04-10-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know if I could consider it long term but I'm somewhere around 3.5 years. I did all the popular stuff at first and found it wasn't my thing. There's lots of other ways and there are links on this sight. Check the secular connections forum. I read a lot early on. The only real way to success is wanting it.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What exactly is SMART? and where can I learn more about it? Do you still do outpatient? Thank You this gives me hope because I had thought that if I stopped AA I wouldn't have hope! but I do have a cousin that stopped using without AA so I knew there had to be more people that have been successful out there

QUOTE=Soberpotamus;5898115]I've used SR more than any other method. At separate times, I've also used SMART, AVRT, and Women For Sobriety. Later on, I used IOP followed by individual counseling.

I think the most important thing to note is that I finally got sober when I meant business. It was my desire for change, my sustained motivation, and the various means of support and tools such as 'urge surfing,' distraction, 'playing the tape through,' and so on, all used in conjunction that worked for me.

Personally, I believe what worked for me was the desire for a change followed by action. This required confidence in my ability to change (and some faith), along with the tools to change (all the aforementioned programs/methods/tools).[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ
Old 04-10-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tried several different AA meetings - and went for several months but didn't get much out of them. I had a sponsor but that did not help.
I never understood how going everyone in a room sharing a thought on a topic helps one stay sober.
AA has helped thousands - no denying that. But, I have a son and a job and it is much easier and convenient (and therefore I use it often) on SR to ask a question or read a discussion about something.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks buddy!

QUOTE=soberwolf;5898172]Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skywalker91 View Post
What exactly is SMART? and where can I learn more about it? Do you still do outpatient?
SMART stands for Self-Management for Addiction Recovery and can be found here: Self Help Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ

No, I don't do outpatient anymore. I did a 20-day outpatient program and several months of individual counseling. I attended some aftercare meetings as well. I am now over three years sober and feeling stable and happy with my sobriety. SR is all the maintenance I need. I have considered an occasional AA or WFS face-to-face but I'm so busy these days I don't have extra time to spare away from my family. If I were struggling, I'd make time. And I'd recommend that to anyone.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

3.5 years is great! What did you read early on exactly?

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
I don't know if I could consider it long term but I'm somewhere around 3.5 years. I did all the popular stuff at first and found it wasn't my thing. There's lots of other ways and there are links on this sight. Check the secular connections forum. I read a lot early on. The only real way to success is wanting it.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi sky walker!

I use Rational Recovery and SR! Lots of great alternatives in the Secular Forum!

And you're right SP....the desire to change comes from within. No program...no matter what it is...can KEEP you sober. That responsibility falls squarely on us.
Xo
Old 04-10-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Following. I'm not long term yet (two months today) but have relied on SR and a few close acquaintenances. I'm an introvert to begin with and a working mom of two kids - the idea of trying to also work meetings into life stressed me out which seemed counterproductive.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used books in the first couple of years and then I found SR and I have been here for years. I know for sure that balance in my life is what keeps me in recovery. That means exercise, reading spiritual books, spending time on SR and always working on gratitude.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Into the Void

LifeRing is great if they have meetings near you. they are also online. I read tons of books on the subject including Rational Recovery, Sober for Good, Allen Carr's books, Jason Vale, Empowering your Sober Self.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I respect any path that leads to sobriety, but don't throw the baby out with the the bath water. A lot of the newfangled "AA" meetings are nothing more than people sharing thoughts in a touchy feely manner grown out of talk therapy.
That's not AA friend. That's talk therapy. AA is a program of action, laid out in the 12 steps. Find someone to guide you through THAT, and you will feel better.
I also suggest you read up on rational recovery as far as the addictive voice goes. Being able to discern the addictive voice in your head that wants you DEAD was a tremendous tool for me.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some good advice here already Skywalker

A good recovery plan is vital, no matter what method you use or don't use, I think

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been slacking on the gratitude I need to start on that again. Thank you

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I used books in the first couple of years and then I found SR and I have been here for years. I know for sure that balance in my life is what keeps me in recovery. That means exercise, reading spiritual books, spending time on SR and always working on gratitude.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wow some awesome suggestions! I will head over to Amazon now

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
LifeRing is great if they have meetings near you. they are also online. I read tons of books on the subject including Rational Recovery, Sober for Good, Allen Carr's books, Jason Vale, Empowering your Sober Self.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sober a bit over 2 years, only use SR and could not have done it without them I am somewhat of a person who "sticks to themselves" With SR I can speak when I want to be heard,
I can voice my opinion without fear of judgment. I can just "read" and not even post!

What ever works for you! This type of interaction works for me.