Notices

Pulled a geographic and relapsed

Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Such a great idea on getting a temporary sponsor!

Originally Posted by Irnldy001 View Post
You can absolutely have a say in whom you would like to have as a sponsor. They say to get a sponsor right away, but in my neck of the woods we suggest a temporary sponsor to get you situated and into the flow, and then you get introduced to possible long term sponsors. You find the right fit and you ask the person. Your temp sponsor is never offended - it's what they were doing all along - getting you to the next place you need to be. I was way more proactive this time in getting the right sponsor for me. She's really hardcore into AA, and eats/breathes it. Because I seem to live two lives (one for the world, the other in AA) I needed a sponsor that would really shake my tree in the program. I didn't have that the first time. I needed it, now I am getting it. Your best sponsor may not be someone you liked off the bat. I didn't like my sponsor the first month that I knew her. Over time I came to understand her more. It took me a year of knowing her to ask. Now we've done three months together and we've done more in that three months than I did in my first year sober. I wouldn't have guessed she'd have been the 'one' but she is.