Notices

Day 6 hardest by far

Old 03-10-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 hardest by far

The first 5 days were fine despite the fatigue, anxiety, headaches, etc. Today the clock is slowing down and this would be my usual time to kick back and open a cold one or twelve. The only thing stopping me is remembering why I started this endeavor in the 1st place... Hangovers, passing out, weight gain, arguments with partner, shame and guilt. I hope anyone reading this going through something similar knows they're not alone. If I/we can make it through today than we've won.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are 'playing the tape forward', WiltedLotus; that tool helps so much.

It is going to get easier and better and better; I promise.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It helps me to remember all the times hungover, too, and I've been sober for over five years.
I know if I take that first drink all bets are off.
The fourth day was always the hardest for me, so I understand what you're going through.
You're doing great for six days. Just keep remembering the bad old days, and remember, you never have to drink again.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can make it sober thru today as long as you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Wilted, how goes it? Glad you are here, congrats on Day 6!
Old 03-11-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 03-11-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wilt,

Welcome.

Depending on the depth of your addiction, you might start to feel amazing in a week, a month, 3 months, on and on.

I learned it depends on the number of times you dry out and start drinking again.

That is the slippery slope of alcohol addiction.

That is part of the relapse issue w booze.

If everyone got a week long hangover the first time they drank, nobody would drink. But, we all know when you are 18 years old, you don't really get hangovers.

But after 30 years of drinking the worm turns. The only way to stop the hangover is to drink.

Ex drunks can explain that to some newbs, and the newbs just laugh. It is a road some newbs need to actually walk to realize.

That was me.

Is it you too?
Old 03-11-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

how goes it wiltedlotus?

D
Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the words of support 🙏 They really did get me through the day and here I am now day 7 thankful not to have woken up feeling shaky, nauseas, and aching. There's no doubt the hangovers have gotten way worse with age (I'm 30) and the price to pay for the hours of numbness is just too high now. Tonight is Friday night and the commercials on TV are filled with my old friend alcohol. Fortunately I don't even have an appetite for anything so it will be my new friend bed tonight and g'nite all sleep well. 😴❤
Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WiltedLotus View Post
Thanks all for the words of support 🙏 They really did get me through the day and here I am now day 7 thankful not to have woken up feeling shaky, nauseas, and aching. There's no doubt the hangovers have gotten way worse with age (I'm 30) and the price to pay for the hours of numbness is just too high now. Tonight is Friday night and the commercials on TV are filled with my old friend alcohol. Fortunately I don't even have an appetite for anything so it will be my new friend bed tonight and g'nite all sleep well. 😴❤
You will carry these feelings for a while...my first 2 years of sobriety were very tough..although each day got easier...I was still drawn to the commercials...and wondering WHY not...why can't I have a few...especially at the 1 month, 3 month and 6 month periods.

What helped me was writing down all the things (benefits) I was getting from not drinking. I remember writing...I was eating...I was showering....I was looking better...I was just a little bit more focused...I wasn't concerned about making it to the liquor store to have enough in my trunk for after work...etc.

So many benefits. The only thing I ever got from drinking was problems...and as you mentioned as I got older..the problems became more frequent and they got worse.
You are doing well....don't give up your 7 days...don't give up at ALL.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week WL

D
Old 03-11-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be my 6th day as well. Hang in there, find things to take your mind off it. Hobbies you had neglected, books you want to read, a movie to watch, exercise.

The best thing I have done, is write about it in a private journal.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day/night 13 Began a daily calender to blot down how I'm feeling for the day, and keep track of my weight...Already lost 2lbs woo hoo which I'm pretty sure came right back tonight with the delicious buffalo wings for dinner:! As the days go by alcohol is not so difficult to resist. The emotions of what I've been trying to drown alcohol with have been the toughest to deal with. I come on here daily and read others stuggles and I know I'm not alone. I'm learning life is hard for us all. I'm learning just doing the best I can is enough. Thanks for listening and all the support❤ and cheers to you'll.. for another day sober 🌈👐
Old 03-17-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats

D
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you, keep it up!
Old 03-18-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on your eve of two weeks sober
Old 03-18-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You've doing great WL--keep going as it truly will get easier daily
but as some have said, there are "spike times"
especially at 1, 3, 6, months etc.
where you crave intensely.
Just ride it out and it will pass--for serious cravings, get some good ice cream
and enjoy without guilt
Old 03-18-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are doing great, WiltedLotus. Keep up the good work.

We are pulling for you.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you'll and I'm definitely going to try and keep the fridge stocked (with sweets and the 5 basic food groups). I remember a time not so long ago when the beer had it's own shelf or when we were low on funds but still managed to buy the alcohol. Don't miss those days or the guilt that came with. Whenever life got unbearable or I felt less than alcohol was always waiting there with open arms. It's been like a terrible best friend... One who always screwed me over in the end and yet I would return bc it was there. I do feel betrayed, my heart broken, it wasn't real. Sry if I'm not making any sense! Have a good one...
Old 03-18-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp? It's a memoir she wrote with stark honesty about her love/hate affair with alcohol.