Notices

Need help. Urgent :(

Old 02-14-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Need help. Urgent :(

Was sober for 2 whole years. Had a big celebration on december 15 which I organized. I drank whisky shots whole night long. Until morning. Can u imagine putting all that poison back to my clean body. Next day I swore to quit again cos I thought I was dying. Threw up whole day until night. Of course I didnt stop. I drank maybe ten more times the last two months. My last screw up was last night. Actually this morning. I still am under the influence of alcohol. Cant sleep dont want to talk just need support

Last edited by Dee74; 02-14-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Mia, this happens to people sometimes. Try not to freak out too much. But get really serious about quitting-quitting, with no more exceptions for parties or any other occasions or excuses. You know, as do most of us, that we just can't drink anymore...ever...at all. Lots of us have to test that out for ourselves (I did, twice).

So don't sweat it. You're feeling sick so take care of that, but get the plug back in the jug and carry on.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Back on the horse Mia

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 02-14-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You had some time put together, you can do this again, just put in more effort into stopping and staying stopped!!!!!!

Hugs and love to you
Old 02-14-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

You know what you need to do. Use this as a learning experience. What triggered you to drink during the celebration? You don't need to answer that but think about that and what you'll do different next time.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One other reason is I met this wonderful guy. And I enjoy getting tipsy with him. You know how that feels. And I have this group that I belong to. All of them drink. Except one actually. I also wanted to be same with them. Since they are having so much fun. When I met them I was sober. Of course I said another reason for my quit. Then I started drinking. Now what am I going to say as an excuse. I dont want them to know I have this problem. They didnt witness my problem drinking side - yet!
Old 02-14-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
You know what you need to do. Use this as a learning experience. What triggered you to drink during the celebration? You don't need to answer that but think about that and what you'll do different next time.
I was very excited. Plus my x husband with whom I still work together was dying because of alcohol this summer. He isnt supposed to drink even a sip. Since I knew he was going to drink I kind of did it as a protest. "Hmm since you will be drinking. Here you go. I am drinking as well. "
Old 02-14-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get sober for good this time.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You drank because of your ex and because of someone you met? Seriously, I think you drank because you wanted to, it's the nature of alcoholism. The problem is, my alcoholism wants me dead and I won't let that happen.

Get a plan together, figure out what you will say to these people, too. I don't know if I would want to hang out with those who constantly drink. Today I hang with people who don't constantly drink.

I wish you well on your sober journey
Old 02-14-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Even after two years sober you found that drinking will get you out of control and headed back to where you were. That's typical.
How did you quit before? Two years sober is awesome. You can do it again. I'm staying sober by taking any drink very seriously. None of this "Just one more time" thinking.
Wishing you the best
Old 02-14-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have to put sobriety above everything else. It can be difficult, and I'm still learning to do that sometimes. When I struggle I remind myself that some embarassment/awkwardness when I don't drink in social situations will pass, but alcohol will kill me if I do drink.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mia, I'm sorry that are struggling so much, but you had two years of recovery and you can do it again.

Take a look at what happened and know for sure that you can get back into recovery. It could be that you will need to be honest with the group you are involved in, or maybe step back from the group for awhile, until you feel more comfortable. The point is, you can do this.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

You know you have to stop drinking. Start saying no and making it stick. You've done this before -- two years is great, way to go! -- and you will do it again ... if you want.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Mia,

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. Two years sober is an incredible accomplishment. What did you do during that time to remain sober?

I'm not sure if you used SR a lot, but it is definitely helping me to remain sober. I have 45 days today. I have been in and off this tie and working on my recovery since October of 2012, however, 90 days was the most time I was able to remain sober during that time. I have committed to remaining sober for good.

I hope you will join us on here, I'm sure you can share many strategies that worked for you during those two years. Glad you are here.

❤️Delilah
Old 02-14-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mia,

It's striking how that Addictive Voice can sit dormant for so long and then hit you like that. And a good warning to all of us that we need to stay on our guard. I was particular taken by the reason you just gave that you drank to show someone dying of alcoholism how dumb it is to drink. Presumably at the time that somehow made sense to you, but I hope looking at it now you can see how that was pure AV.

And the suggestion that you might keep drinking so your friends don't see you have an alcohol problem? Again, does that really make sense to you right now? There's dozens of things you could say that they wouldn't bat an eye to, especially as you met them while you were sober. Something as simple as "it's been a couple of years since I last drank, and I realise I just don't enjoy it any more, so I think I'll quit for good this time." I just tell people I got bored of it. Drank for 35 years, and figured it was time for a change. I've never used the "A" word with anyone, because I don't need to. It's none of their business why I don't want to drink any more.

As everyone is saying, you were sober for 2 years, so you can definitely do this. Just stop listening to your AV and all its frankly ridiculous excuses for why you should keep drinking. You know you need to stop, or you wouldn't be posting on here. So time to figure out your plan, make the changes you need to make to stop this happening again, and get back to enjoying the sober life that you know is so much better than what's lying ahead of you if you don't stop.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mia

my suggestion is - get sober first. Then work out what to tell others later.

Many members here have to deal witth friends and family - all you have to do is say I don't want to drink anymore.

It's going to be hard because your AV has you convinced that drinking is both fun and bonding.

Have you thought of finding more sober support than SR?

D
Old 02-14-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Sounds like you are on the road to a new life - just don't shed the sobriety part of your old life. It's why you were strong enough to get to the happy place you are now. When we make changes in our lives it's easy to forget we have a problem with alcohol, but it sounds like you have had a reminder. I think the new guy in your life will respect you for not drinking, and if he asks why and you don't want to go into detail, just say you are trying to be healthier. It's not a lie.
Good luck and keep reading SR - there is alot of great advice, support and encouragement.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Mia:
This happened to me many times before I managed to quit for good. When you get back on the horse it doesn't mean going back to Day 1. It means, as many have said, a learning experience. Continue with your plan, modify it and upgrade it as necessary and focus on realizing that if you have even one drink it is a battle with alcohol that you cannot win without complete sobriety. Everything else pales by comparison, former friends, etc. Alcohol offers or rather guarantees painful death and, pending that, progressive unhappiness, loneliness. Good luck and every good wish.

W.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Couldnt do it
Old 03-02-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
now's the time

Mia, I relapsed while I was dating someone new too. It wasn't the first thing for me but it kept the ball rolling. It took me a year and a half to get sober again and the relationship didn't work to boot... but I don't regret it because now I know. The next time I'm dating I'll know exactly why I can't have a glass of wine. And I won't.

It sucks but it's not a waste. As long as you're still trying it's all part of the journey. You can get sober again. You need to figure out how to get the first week, then the first 30 days, etc... step by step. But you can do it.